Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Night Club - Opening Friday Feb. 11th

Options
  • 04-02-2011 2:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Two of the management from Cuba* have taken over the building that used to be GPO at 19-21 Eglington Street and will be opening next week.

The name, as in the title is Carbon, new owners, new management, new staff, new security the works, brand new club basically.

Opening party next week with Utah Saints headlining.
    Should be a good night :).

Delighted for the two lads, should be the same music policy of 903/Cuba, which is great!

17936510150127146510516.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Thats great news, I hope it works out for them. I hope its not exactly like Cuba though. Most people I know went to cuba to listen to the bands/Rock upstairs which often didn't open. I stopped going because of that and the fact that if it wasn't open you were sometimes stuck with Hip-Hop for the night. Not that I have a problem with Hip-Hop jus not all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Seaneh wrote: »

Delighted for the two lads, should be the same music police of 903/Cuba, which is great!

Are they similar to the fashion police :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cool, might have a look. I liked the layout of GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Really hope that they have the same people booking gigs as Cuba. It was the only place that you could ever go to see any half decent dance acts playing. People forget that the likes of Crystal Castles, Asian Dub Foundation, The Pharcyde, Mustard Pimp etc have played Cuba. Only other place in galway that booked decent sets is the roisin, which is fine if you like really trendy indie/rock music bands and want to pay through your teeth to see them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The people responsible for the bookings mentioned are the two people involved.
    So it should be the same type of acts.
    Utah Saints on opening night is a massive indication for the type of music to expect.

I'd imagine the likes of Kormac's bake sale will be back there soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Any idea how they're looking for the new staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

BYRNO

PomBear wrote: »
    Any idea how they're looking for the new staff?

Not a clue...
    I'd imagine they got a lot of the lads from Cuba though... Judging by how quick stuff is moving already the might be staffed already?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

There are interviews happening right now, I was just there.

Does anyone know who is managing the place, the guys from Cuba isn't good enough, who from cuba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd get in contact with them ASAP if you're looking for a job. Will probably head in on the Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DiscoChats

Absolutley brilliant news!Delighted for all involved.
    Hope to god something decent can be done with the (old) gpo.
    For the first time in ages people who know the business are in charge of running that venue.
    With a bit of luck they have/will move the dj box in the mainroom,worst layout for a club ever tbh.also the soundsystem,the old gpo owners/managers hadnt a ****ing CLUE about anything in there.
    The dj box should be moved from where it is to where that smaller bar at the back is.

Roll on 2011 for them,i bet theres some great nights ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Let's hope they don't have the same dick-head bouncers...

bildo wrote: »
    There are interviews happening right now, I was just there.

Does anyone know who is managing the place, the guys from Cuba isn't good enough, who from cuba?

Brownsie and Jason.

and where were the interviews and were they walk in/open interviews?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

THFC wrote: »
    Let's hope they don't have the same dick-head bouncers...

This. GPO bouncers were always fairly sound (for bouncers:D).

Is this just going to be Cuba, but in the GPO building? Even the promo posters and acts are the same... Not the worst anyway, Utah Saints are quality.

Still, would have preferred something new rather than the same club recycled. Although the Cuba layout was always the worst thing about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

This. GPO bouncers were always fairly sound (for bouncers:D).

Is this just going to be Cuba, but in the GPO building? Even the promo posters and acts are the same... Not the worst anyway, Utah Saints are quality.

Still, would have preferred something new rather than the same club recycled. Although the Cuba layout was always the worst thing about the place.
    Yeah GPO bounceers were dead on, remember 2 summers ago I gave my real middle name rather than the one on my ID and still got in.. I was referring to the Cuba bouncers. Sometimes they just didn't let people in for no reason. One of the last times I was there I had my age card, passport and birth cert and they still rejected me (was sober) on account of my "hair looks different." Plenty of regulars were also turned away some nights because they didn't have back-up ID.. They were sound r.e. clothes though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DiscoChats

Throwing glowsticks will still get you thrown out,Fionn.
    New bouncers or not.

THFC wrote: »
    They were sound r.e. clothes though..
    It was Cuba. Maybe they weren't scruffy enough?
    DiscoChats wrote: »
    Throwing glowsticks will still get you thrown out,Fionn.
    New bouncers or not.
    I'd say so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Sounds brilliant. Really looking forward to this.

Brownsie and Jason.

and where were the interviews and were they walk in/open interviews?

Couldn't tell you. The place wasn't open for business, I just went round to whore out a soundsystem :) The place clearly needs a decent one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

bildo wrote: »
    Couldn't tell you. The place wasn't open for business, I just went round to whore out a soundsystem :) The place clearly needs a decent one...

Funktion One please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Does anyone know if they'll be changing the layout/design of the place or basically just opening as it was?

I doubt the structure of the place can be changed much, but I always thought it was pretty good, bar the maze of stairs that always confused first years in Sept :D

The smaller dance floor and the smoking area would good shouts, and there were plenty bars.

As for the design, I guess they'll change it, but didn't the GPO have like 2 renovations in the 4 or 5 months before closing (nobody ever did explain that?)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

who can i contact about this?

Oh wonderful! I hope they put on live bands sometimes, like Upstairs Cuba used to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Two of the management from Cuba* have taken over the building that used to be GPO at 19-21 Eglington Street and will be opening next week.
    The name, as in the title is Carbon, new owners, new management, new staff, new security the works, brand new club basically.
    Opening party next week with Utah Saints headlining.
    Should be a good night :).
    Delighted for the two lads, should be the same music policy of 903/Cuba, which is great!

17936510150127146510516.jpg

more of the same old rubbish imo, it's the same old ****e washing round and round this town!

carbon. bahahahahahaha

barryd09 wrote: »
    Funktion One please.

Void Audio FTW:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Some decent music once again, instead of listening to the ****e in CPs.

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    more of the same old rubbish imo, it's the same old ****e washing round and round this town!

carbon. bahahahahahaha
    It's not like the name makes a difference. Central Park is a ridiculous name for a club nowhere near a park, Club K was a lame 'hip' spin on Kennedy's, Cuba was a crap name, don't get my started on Boo Radleys. GPO and Coyotes make a bit of sense I suppose. As does Karma as you deserve anything you got goin into that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

WTF Utah Saints!! are they still going...lol......the 1990s called and they said they want their dance act back

• Advertisement

.the 1990s called and they said they want their dance act back

The 1980s called, they want that lame ass joke back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement