Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Night Club - Opening Friday Feb. 11th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockerlkj

Possitively buzzing about this. Here's hoping they keep some of the alternative aspects that Cuba* had, and doesn't try to be another C.P's/Karma. Galway needs variety, and not the kind of variety that's miles from Supermacs (the Roisín).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

rockerlkj wrote: »
    Possitively buzzing about this. Here's hoping they keep some of the alternative aspects that Cuba* had, and doesn't try to be another C.P's/Karma. Galway needs variety, and not the kind of variety that's miles from Supermacs (the Roisín).

There is a supermacs quite near the Roisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Oh wonderful! I hope they put on live bands sometimes, like Upstairs Cuba used to do.
    +1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

Some decent music once again, instead of listening to the ****e in CPs.

Funny that Byrno plays in cps on a Sunday and Wednesday, and he used to play in Cuba, and will be playing in Carbon! Oh well,

Cant wait to give it a look, I like Cps but miss not be able to go to Cuba/Bar903

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockerlkj

Stupid question...I assume there will be discounts for students/getting stamps off staff. If the price is €8 all the time, it'll be hard to garner a hardcore student following. I know it isn't much, but when you can get into CP's for €4, why spent the price of a pint extra going in somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Odds are it will be free in before 12, and cheaper with a stamp after that, just like Cuba was.

They aren't stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hopfully it won't have the same clientele of the old GPO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Anyone got any details on who the new management are and what style they will have music decor food etc etc.... Wanna hear all the details!

Its opening this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with the older Carbon thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

biko wrote: »
    Merged with the older Carbon thread.

Cheers for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DiscoChats

Anyone got any details on who the new management are and what style they will have music decor food etc etc.... Wanna hear all the details!

Its opening this Friday.

Music will be the old cuba bookings id imagine (house,lil bit of techno,dubstep etc)
    Decor will be the same as the most recent gpo renovation again id imagine.

Food,none id say.been a long time since the drum was used for daytime dining,i doubt carbon will go that route,although thats merely just my take on it.

Hope its a roaring success.Anyone of the old gpo expecting trance & hard house will be dissapointed,that all went with the last owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

DiscoChats wrote: »
    Food,none id say.been a long time since the drum was used for daytime dining,i doubt carbon will go that route,although thats merely just my take on it.

If they could get the food trade that the cellar had it would definately be worth there while. I'm sure they hav'nt ruled it out anyways cos both the cellar and bar 903 served food successfully previously, there would be a market for it I'd imagine

If they could get the food trade that the cellar had it would definately be worth there while. I'm sure they hav'nt ruled it out anyways cos both the cellar and bar 903 served food successfully previously, there would be a market for it I'd imagine

thats a good point but during all the renovations of the gpo in the last while,is there even still a kitchen?kinda important id imagine.
    can the drum even still be opened without going in the main club enterance?
    id love to see them showing football in there,id defo head in on a saturday to watch games and get fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Apparently the pipes burst in there over the winter and from what I've heard, the GPO-era "decor" is ruined. I imagine they'll strip the place, move some stuff around and start anew. They'd be a bit silly not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Friend of mine who is a carpenter was asked over a month ago to price work for the GPO but never heard anything back so I'd say there is a good chance its changed but how much is unknown.

DiscoChats wrote: »
    thats a good point but during all the renovations of the gpo in the last while,is there even still a kitchen?kinda important id imagine.
    can the drum even still be opened without going in the main club enterance?
    id love to see them showing football in there,id defo head in on a saturday to watch games and get fed.

Im not too sure about the kitchen situation tbh but as far as I know the club part could still be co-ordined off from the drum fairly easily. I agree that it would be a decent spot for a match and grub

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Nightclub to reopen with creation of 50 jobs

February 8, 2011 - 7:30am Ex-Cuba managers back in business at GPO this Friday

BY CIARAN TIERNEY
    Two former members of staff at Cuba night club and the Cellar Bar are set to open their own new club this weekend with the creation of 50 new jobs.
    Just five weeks after the liquidation of the bar, club, and Harvest off-licence chain, former managers Jason Glynn and Brendan McGowan have taken over the former GPO club on Eglinton Street which also went out of business in November of last year.
    Almost 1,000 people have applied for new jobs at the Carbon night club and a Facebook group has attracted over 1,300 members since they set it up on Sunday afternoon.
    They are set to open the revamped premises with a set by UK dance act Utah Saints this Friday night and hope to attract a loyal following of clubbers five nights a week once the club is fully up and running.
    Both men jumped at the chance to open the new business when new leaseholder Rory Collins approached them with an offer just hours after they lost their jobs last month.
    “Both of us would have worked in the GPO before at some stage and the opportunity just presented itself with the liquidation of Cuba,” said Mr Glynn yesterday.
    “All of us have extensive experience of the night club business in Galway. The opportunity just presented itself and we were in two minds as to what we should do. We sat down and talked about it and we agreed that it could work.”
    The GPO went into receivership in November and Mr Collins approached the two managers with a proposal when a lease for the club became available last month.
    Jason Glynn said that they intended to employ 50 people, between full-time and part-time staff, by the end of next week.
    Read more in this week's Connacht Sentinel

It seems as though they've had a lot of job applications...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Apparently the pipes burst in there over the winter and from what I've heard, the GPO-era "decor" is ruined. I imagine they'll strip the place, move some stuff around and start anew. They'd be a bit silly not to.

GPO era decor? The place had 2 makeovers in the last 6 months or so.

celty wrote: »
    It seems as though they've had a lot of job applications...

I don't doubt that they have had a lot of applicants but I seriously doubt that it is anyway near 1000. Its a well known marketing technique, if they say that this huge amount applied they will get free newspaper coverage which means free promotional opportunities. KFC did it recently in Galway too Check Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

They could well be counting all those posts on their facebook asking about jobs as job applications though, in which case I'd say they easily have a thousand.

• Advertisement

Nightclub to reopen with creation of 50 jobs

February 8, 2011 - 7:30am Ex-Cuba managers back in business at GPO this Friday

BY CIARAN TIERNEY
    Two former members of staff at Cuba night club and the Cellar Bar are set to open their own new club this weekend with the creation of 50 new jobs.
    Just five weeks after the liquidation of the bar, club, and Harvest off-licence chain, former managers Jason Glynn and Brendan McGowan have taken over the former GPO club on Eglinton Street which also went out of business in November of last year.
    Almost 1,000 people have applied for new jobs at the Carbon night club and a Facebook group has attracted over 1,300 members since they set it up on Sunday afternoon.
    They are set to open the revamped premises with a set by UK dance act Utah Saints this Friday night and hope to attract a loyal following of clubbers five nights a week once the club is fully up and running.
    Both men jumped at the chance to open the new business when new leaseholder Rory Collins approached them with an offer just hours after they lost their jobs last month.
    “Both of us would have worked in the GPO before at some stage and the opportunity just presented itself with the liquidation of Cuba,” said Mr Glynn yesterday.
    “All of us have extensive experience of the night club business in Galway. The opportunity just presented itself and we were in two minds as to what we should do. We sat down and talked about it and we agreed that it could work.”
    The GPO went into receivership in November and Mr Collins approached the two managers with a proposal when a lease for the club became available last month.
    Jason Glynn said that they intended to employ 50 people, between full-time and part-time staff, by the end of next week.
    Read more in this week's Connacht Sentinel

isnt that who had the previous lease??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Demosthenes

anyone know what the story with entry price? free before 12 w/stamp or what?

and tonight only being there second night open, anyone go last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Anybody go last night?

Whats the place like? Vibe? Music?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Well now... WHERE DO I START.....

They turned down LOADS of people with the excuse "No GPO regulars, we're starting on a fresh sheet, come back in about a month...." What the hell???????????????????????

My friends (Female) were turned down this way last night. This particular group of girls have never EVER caused any trouble in there. And merely used to go to GPO on a saturday night or maybe a night during the week.

To be turned down like this is RIDICULAS????? After speaking to other people and hearing their stories, it seems maybe 50 people were turned down the same way??

As for prices, double vodka and redbull for 13euro? If I wanted to go CP's.... I would have gone to CPs.

As for the place itself... Looks pretty much the same to be honest. few extra mirrors here and there.

Not impressed at all. And WILL be writing a letter about their admission policy. I understand that the management have the right to refuse admission but come on.... "Sorry no GPO regulars?" They wont last too long with that attitude. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

How do they even know they're GPO regulars? Same wa**er bouncers as Cuba then, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Unless they have an unfaltering financial reality then they should not be having such an attitude on the door...

fend wrote: »
    They turned down LOADS of people with the excuse "No GPO regulars, we're starting on a fresh sheet, come back in about a month...." What the hell???????????????????????
    Hahaha that is by far the most pathetic excuse I've heard from a bouncer.

inb4 all the Cuba bummers come in and defend them

cba going Monday night as it will probably be wedged with people wanting to check it out. I might pop down weds/thurs but if they give me any of that they can f**** off, and I'll hope their business goes down the pan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Didn't have any issues on the door. I really enjoyed it, thought DJ Flip had a great set and Utah Saints were class aswell. Was never fond of the GPO layout, but all in all I enjoyed myself. The bar selection/pricing is main problem (no bav :eek:) with most pints costing at least €4.90 with the cheapest being Guiness afaik.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Didn't have any issues on the door. I really enjoyed it, thought DJ Flip had a great set and Utah Saints were class aswell. Was never fond of the GPO layout, but all in all I enjoyed myself. The bar selection/pricing is main problem (no bav :eek:) with most pints costing at least €4.90 with the cheapest being Guiness afaik.
    Might be cause it was a weekend. Wekends are always a rip off in Galway. Cuba was never any good for cheap deals but I do imagine it will be cheaper during the week, they should at least have bottles of Corona/Sol and pints of Fosters/Bav at €2 or €3.

Did it still have that rapey feel Cuba had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Might be cause it was a weekend. Wekends are always a rip off in Galway. Cuba was never any good for cheap deals but I do imagine it will be cheaper during the week, they should at least have bottles of Corona/Sol and pints of Fosters/Bav at €2 or €3.

Did it still have that rapey feel Cuba had?

Hope your right about the drinks.

Can't say I ever noticed the "rapey feel" Cuba had :P

The general crowd in there was decent though, a good mixed bunch and not just old Cuba heads, most people I spoke to were mainly people tired of hearing the same commercial ****e over and over and were just glad to have a decent choice again.

I'll prob head there again tonight, should get a better feel for the place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement