Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GALWAY RALLY

Options
  • 04-02-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

anyone going to the rally this weekend? just wondering cos i am not. do ye think its a waste of time ?( think i,ll bring the kids to cinema to see tangled.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you don't like rally then the cinema is a better bet.
    For people that like rally it's never a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I don't mind the rally itself, unfortunately it brings with it a sea of ignorant A-holes..and I know not all of them are but three years now I've gone out to watch the Superbowl in different pubs to have a bunch of lads in Galway for the rally trying to take the p!ss about the game, jeering the national anthem etc. And one of the years some guy got bottled and the pub closed early...very very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Is the cinema not a waste of time then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Is the cinema not a waste of time then?

Tangled is meant to be good :P Apparently a throw back to the old Disney cartoon pre-Pixar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; if you don't like rallying, then don't go.

But while you're having a sly dig at the rally, bear in mind the huge amount of work gone into organising it by a very large team of volunteers. You're having a dig at them, too, which isn't very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'll just say I love the rally. Just the rally though. Not SOME of the people who come with it. There is a reason they draft in extra Gardaí for the day. It's a shame for those who are involved in rallying who genuinely love the sport of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

Fey! wrote: »
    OP; if you don't like rallying, then don't go.

But while you're having a sly dig at the rally, bear in mind the huge amount of work gone into organising it by a very large team of volunteers. You're having a dig at them, too, which isn't very nice.
    eh? where do you see that in my post ,all im asking is do ye think its a waste of time to go, i dont ,i love the rally. my kids want to go to cinema its a treat for them, cos my hubbie is one of the VOLUNTEERS so he will be gone all day .so mum (me) is taking my lovely kids to see tangled.

My apologies; I read that as "it's a waste of time" rather than "do ye think it's a waste of time".

What is your husband up to out there for the weekend. It's a nasty one for marshaling!

My apologies; I read that as "it's a waste of time" rather than "do ye think it's a waste of time".

What is your husband up to out there for the weekend. It's a nasty one for marshaling!
    he was for service, but he would see more of the stages if he went marshaling . the wind seems to have gone now so it might not be that bad. love to see a rally car coming over a hill and suspended in the air seems like for ages for it to land.

• Advertisement

Kinda hungry.

Was thinking either a bowl of cereal or a sandwich... what ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

anyone got a link to the percise locations of the stages?
    nothing on the rally site or the AA .

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Kinda hungry.

Was thinking either a bowl of cereal or a sandwich... what ye think?

pizza, man. definitely a pizza.

have a beer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

milehip1 wrote: »

they deliberately don't put the route up on the website to make you buy a program. thats a load of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

KylieWyley wrote: »
    they deliberately don't put the route up on the website to make you buy a program. thats a load of BS.
    thanks,it is a load of bs, local people have a right to know the route and go about the daily business unhindered, I gotta go to mountbellow 2moro and dont wanna get caught up in the shagging thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

KylieWyley wrote: »

In fairness to them, the road closures were printed in the Connacht Tribune either this week or last. The program is a total rip off though, I've seen it for sale for €12 this week, and there's damn all in it. They're only hurting themselves really - the more info people have the more that will attend, you'd imagine?

i went to tesco last night, my head was wrecked with all the little muppets with the souped up fiesta's and micra's revv'ing like crazy

made my day on the way home to see one guy pulled by the Garda for coming off the terryland roundabout by breaking a red light, and another 2 pulled for speeding on the sean mulvoy rd

worked for a few years across in chartbusters and i've grown to hate this particular event and despise the teenage twits who follow it from town to town

I mean, it takes a special kind of stupid to spend 2-3k to buy a car and a further 10k on souping it up to make it seem more powerful

if anybody have fotos of rally please post them here,want to see what im missing . and yes those petrol heads are a pain in the ass, its only an excuse to act the magget. saw on the safety direct website the magazine is 15e bloody rip off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why aren't the organisers getting litter fines for all the signs they have put up on roundabouts for the last few weeks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There aren't half as many skanger me bangers around this year thank God :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I could hear a bunch of bell ends revving their cars all around Athenry last until the small hours. I'm sure there are decent people that follow the rally too, but these guys have to be the biggest fcuking assholes that ever walked the face of the planet flying around the place.

I fcuking hate when the rally comes to town. I wish it would fcuk off back to Donegal with the rest of the nordies.

I could hear a bunch of bell ends revving their cars all around Athenry last until the small hours. I'm sure there are decent people that follow the rally too, but these guys have to be the biggest fcuking assholes that ever walked the face of the planet flying around the place.

I fcuking hate when the rally comes to town. I wish it would fcuk off back to Donegal with the rest of the nordies.

Those little scummers are usually the same ones who are there the other 51 weeks of the year, only they appear en masse. Check out the shopping centre for that any night.

A few years ago cameras were put on the rally stages for a few weeks preceeding the rally. As the normal complaints came in the videos were checked; the "Nordie" "boy racers" booting it up and down the road turned out to be little Johnny from next door!

Those "car enthuasiasts" aren't part of the motor club. If you check out the cruising websites around the place you'll find that they aim their "meets" to coincide with the various rallies around the country.

Each of the motor clubs around the country work with, or are willing to work with, the Gardai in order to get rid of these these louts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Those little scummers are usually the same ones who are there the other 51 weeks of the year, only they appear en masse. Check out the shopping centre for that any night.

A few years ago cameras were put on the rally stages for a few weeks preceeding the rally. As the normal complaints came in the videos were checked; the "Nordie" "boy racers" booting it up and down the road turned out to be little Johnny from next door!

Those "car enthuasiasts" aren't part of the motor club. If you check out the cruising websites around the place you'll find that they aim their "meets" to coincide with the various rallies around the country.

Each of the motor clubs around the country work with, or are willing to work with, the Gardai in order to get rid of these these louts.

I know a few guys that are mad into the rally, dead sound blokes, fanatical about cars.

But these other guys, i dont know, it makes my blood boil...:mad::mad:

I know a few guys that are mad into the rally, dead sound blokes, fanatical about cars.

But these other guys, i dont know, it makes my blood boil...:mad::mad:
    they think that they can get away with it cos ''rally'' is in town, the club is pissed of with them to, its giving them bad name. saw a fiasta today so low to the ground with 4 slap heads ,dont know how it moved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I thought most of them would have gone to county Bondi by now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

milehip1 wrote: »

Nothing about the stages on the site, that is done to make sure that you have to buy a program to know where the stages are. I don't know how wise this is as it probably putts of a lot of people that would just wander down for a look.

As for the un-desireables that follow the rally, there does not seem to be as many of them in recent years, which is a good sign, lets hope it keeps improving.

OP, I took your advice and brought my gang to Tangled, they loved it, best non-Pixar Disney flick in ages..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

OP your punctuation irritates the balls off me. I'm as skint as a ginger prostitute so the rally would be a good day out if I wasn't lazy/studying. Do agree it brings a good few eijits into town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anyone know what time they're coming into Eyre Sq at? Or are they even doing that this year?

-EDIT- nm, it's in Oranmore

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Anyone know what time they're coming into Eyre Sq at? Or are they even doing that this year?

-EDIT- nm, it's in Oranmore

It changed to Oranmore last year, and the people into the town turned it into a bit of a festival. Even with a low number of cars there's a great atmosphere in it (and thankfully it dried up a bit!).

As for the program, it is needed to try to fund a portion of the cost of the event. Especially this year, when the entries were well down. Other than the program it's a free show.

Information about the stagesis available on sites such as this and rallyforums.com, but clubs try to keep it close to the chest so that residents aren't pestered for weeks by people using the course as a racetrack at night.

The rally also does fundraising for groups. This year it was Cystic Fibrosis.

For those who were out there, I hope you all enjoyed it. For those who weren't, we might see you at one of the sprints in Tynagh, the hillclimb in Ballyvaughan, the autocross in Ardrahan, at an autotest in Loughrea, or maybe at the summer rally stages.; each is a bit different from each other, and you may find yourself enjoying some free entertainment.

More information on events can be found on www.galwaymotorclub.ie for local events, or www.motorsportireland.com for national events. For the rally that was on this weekend, try www.galwayinternationalrally.com.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The Galway Rally is just a propaganda tool that shows how powerful they are so we dont mess with them.

Advertisement