Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GALWAY RALLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

mikom wrote: »
    The Galway Rally is just a propaganda tool that shows how powerful they are so we dont mess with them.

Shows how powerful who is, exactly? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

fotos please , anyone got fotos.need to see fotos. herd that it cost the drivers 900e to enter the rally .then they have to do up the car after that. no wonder there were not as many this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sidewaysdrivin

Fey! wrote: »

Those "car enthuasiasts" aren't part of the motor club. If you check out the cruising websites around the place you'll find that they aim their "meets" to coincide with the various rallies around the country.

Third-party-facepalm.jpg

I am a "car enthuasiast" and was at the site meets on the friday night cos its what i am about............ oh and you'd never guess what..... I was marshalling the following morning on stage 2 / 5 /8..... FAIL on you

some people get their kicks from going drinking, some people get their kicks from motorsport & cars.... some bringing the kids to the cinema:rolleyes: im into motorsport & cars && its not for you to judge me!!!

i will admit tho the gowls with 1.4 civics with their typeR badges and a straight piece of cattlecrush pipe where the exhaust used to be... they are gowls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

cats.life wrote: »
    herd that it cost the drivers 900e to enter the rally .then they have to do up the car after that. no wonder there were not as many this year.

No different from any other motorsport really - it aint cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

Rally was ok ;p and u people who moan about guys and girls meeting in their cars somewhere ... its their hobbies same as yours is fishing etc now after your moaning I'm getting catback for my is200 xd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

KylieWyley wrote: »
    they deliberately don't put the route up on the website to make you buy a program. thats a load of BS.

12 euro a program at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

is it over yet?is it safe to go late night shopping again??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

I am a "car enthuasiast" and was at the site meets on the friday night cos its what i am about............ oh and you'd never guess what..... I was marshalling the following morning on stage 2 / 5 /8..... FAIL on you

some people get their kicks from going drinking, some people get their kicks from motorsport & cars.... some bringing the kids to the cinema:rolleyes: im into motorsport & cars && its not for you to judge me!!!

i will admit tho the gowls with 1.4 civics with their typeR badges and a straight piece of cattlecrush pipe where the exhaust used to be... they are gowls

Do you not think that having a car meet on a rally weekend is short sighted. Could you not have it on another weekend so that the reputation of the rally could be improved?

Ive never been to a car meet where everyone behaved, even simple reving of engines in a car park(and allot worse always happens even if its one knob spinning their wheels leaving a car park) is anti social and gives the rally a bad name. For example there are many non car fans posting on this thread and they associate the rally with antisocial young lads for the very reason of the meet which you attended.

[IMG]I am a "car enthuasiast" and was at the site meets on the friday night cos its what i am about............ oh and you'd never guess what..... I was marshalling the following morning on stage 2 / 5 /8..... FAIL on you some people get their kicks from going drinking, some people get their kicks from motorsport & cars.... some bringing the kids to the cinema:rolleyes: im into motorsport & cars && its not for you to judge me!!! i will admit tho the gowls with 1.4 civics with their typeR badges and a straight piece of cattlecrush pipe where the exhaust used to be... they are gowls[/img]

If you are an enthuasiast and you're not one of the people wailing around the town or wheel spinning around carparks, then they're doing just as much damage to you and your ilk as they are to the rally. The problem is everyone sees us all as the same.

There are online groups whose goal is to cause mayhem, and a large number of them refer to themselves as cruisers.

Why don't you post up the URL of the sites you use so that we can see where these idiots don't hang out?
    doOh wrote: »
    Rally was ok ;p and u people who moan about guys and girls meeting in their cars somewhere ... its their hobbies same as yours is fishing etc now after your moaning I'm getting catback for my is200 xd

I have no issue with enthuasiasts and meets; my problem is with the morons pulling handbrake turns on the main road and other stupid behaviour.

Honestly, I couldn't give a toss if you have a factory saloon or a modified coupe with a 10" exhaust; it's driver behaviour, not the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ghosty!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't mind the rally itself, unfortunately it brings with it a sea of ignorant A-holes..and I know not all of them are but three years now I've gone out to watch the Superbowl in different pubs to have a bunch of lads in Galway for the rally trying to take the p!ss about the game, jeering the national anthem etc. And one of the years some guy got bottled and the pub closed early...very very annoying
    I'll just say I love the rally. Just the rally though. Not SOME of the people who come with it. There is a reason they draft in extra Gardaí for the day. It's a shame for those who are involved in rallying who genuinely love the sport of it.

Like every event sport/festivals stc it brings a crowd! in a crowd there is gonna be trouble makers! Its life!

Think of the good things the rally offers like improved buisness for the weekend.
    milehip1 wrote: »
    anyone got a link to the percise locations of the stages?
    nothing on the rally site or the AA .
    KylieWyley wrote: »
    they deliberately don't put the route up on the website to make you buy a program. thats a load of BS.
    thanks,it is a load of bs, local people have a right to know the route and go about the daily business unhindered, I gotta go to mountbellow 2moro and dont wanna get caught up in the shagging thing!
    hoody wrote: »
    In fairness to them, the road closures were printed in the Connacht Tribune either this week or last. The program is a total rip off though, I've seen it for sale for €12 this week, and there's damn all in it. They're only hurting themselves really - the more info people have the more that will attend, you'd imagine?

Alot of work goes into the rally weeks in advance bills have to be paid money has to come from somewhere! and come on!!! its about a tenner to go into the cinema for an hour or 12 euro for 2 full days of adrenalin filled action thats good!!!! and locals that are on the stages are informed 6-8 weeks in advance!
    if anybody have fotos of rally please post them here,want to see what im missing . and yes those petrol heads are a pain in the ass, its only an excuse to act the magget. saw on the safety direct website the magazine is 15e bloody rip off.

Take By gerard forde...

166675_200693386611811_100000134540486_890429_2161690_n.jpg

180497_200693639945119_100000134540486_890432_1803753_n.jpg
    181774_200693116611838_100000134540486_890427_7737853_n.jpg

More can be found at

Www.fordefotos.com

www.myrally.ie

il post a few more later
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Why aren't the organisers getting litter fines for all the signs they have put up on roundabouts for the last few weeks?

I can pretty much guarantee you they had full permission to do so. And i can also guarantee they will come down soon!!
    I could hear a bunch of bell ends revving their cars all around Athenry last until the small hours. I'm sure there are decent people that follow the rally too, but these guys have to be the biggest fcuking assholes that ever walked the face of the planet flying around the place.

I fcuking hate when the rally comes to town. I wish it would fcuk off back to Donegal with the rest of the nordies.

**** back to donegal?? Your post annoys me! your the type that sits down giving out about everything i just know it!!;)
    mikom wrote: »
    The Galway Rally is just a propaganda tool that shows how powerful they are so we dont mess with them.

Which means?

Lads "rallying" is only ever heard of when something bad has happened or if someone has soemthing bad to say! motor clubs who run these rallys organise them with highest standards and profesionalisam(sp)!.

Lots of money is raised for local charities thanks to the "rallying" and its clubs!

Buisness improves for the weekend of the rally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

if anybody have fotos of rally please post them here,want to see what im missing . and yes those petrol heads are a pain in the ass, its only an excuse to act the magget. saw on the safety direct website the magazine is 15e bloody rip off.

Jonathan Folan Galway, flying high

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15523&g2_serialNumber=5

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15526&g2_serialNumber=5

Pat & Ger Divilly Moylough, Class 11 winners & 6th overall in the national event

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15532&g2_serialNumber=5

More here from the weekend

Well done to all the marshal & crew who braved the rotten weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

My pics of stages 3&4

Pics :):)
    5421385935_21590ffa93_z.jpg
    _DSC0056copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5421390495_e8810cd6d4_z.jpg
    _DSC0044copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5422005470_bd1547dc91_z.jpg
    _DSC0005copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5421402613_93d9353f48_z.jpg
    _DSC0006copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5421414265_fd37756893_z.jpg
    _DSC0010copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5422028726_9677d4d49f_z.jpg
    _DSC0012copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5421429063_13e78eddfe_z.jpg
    _DSC0016copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5421432277_4fcb2fbfde_z.jpg
    _DSC0021copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5421438163_3eb20f5952_z.jpg
    _DSC0024copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5421441363_376289d6c7_z.jpg
    _DSC0028copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5422085486_c845aeb980_z.jpg
    _DSC0049copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

5422098888_aab989b1bc_z.jpg
    _DSC0058copy by philipmchugh, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Excellent Photos - boring sport

Seven Worlds will Collide

Excellent Photos - boring sport

crap post

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

foto,s are great lads and lassies. the ones coming over the hill and two to three feet of the ground are super.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anyone have any funny stories from around town at the weekend? Lots of yellow reg plates around the place. Wasn't in many places..Where I was though had some arsehole trying to trip people coming out of the bathroom in Kellys, a young skinned head lad going ape on some guy down near The Hole in the Wall and some guy trying to stare me down for some reason around Mill Street. Lovely boys.

Tesco looked busy as always. A few years ago I pulled up beside a big group that were all lined up so the driver side and passenger side windows were in line...I rolled down my window and threw the oul head back and gave them a whats up and drove off. Fun times.

Any Superbowl aggro this year? Booing of the American anthem and a-hole remarks?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Any Superbowl aggro this year? Booing of the American anthem and a-hole remarks?
    I'd imagine the Americans did quite enough to debase the anthem on their own this year.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    I'd imagine the Americans did quite enough to debase the anthem on their own this year.

How so?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How so?
    Not checking if Christina Aguilera knew the words before asking her to sing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

She got the words wrong and they jeered her...

Alot of the lads from the rally would be gone Sunday evening? So I think its your locals who would be pissing you off in the pub on a Sunday night..

Robbo wrote: »
    Not checking if Christina Aguilera knew the words before asking her to sing it.

She did interviews before the event saying she's been singing it since she was 7 years old. All the hard drugs probably killed what few brain cells she had.

There were plenty of yellow reg plates around yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

@ Ghosty!
    "Alot of work goes into the rally weeks in advance bills have to be paid money has to come from somewhere! and come on!!! its about a tenner to go into the cinema for an hour or 12 euro for 2 full days of adrenalin filled action thats good!!!! and locals that are on the stages are informed 6-8 weeks in advance!"

If a "sport" takes place on a public road for which I've paid road tax to use, then I've everyright to FREE and open acess to information about that event!

It should not be withheld as a means of making ppl spend 12euro on an program for a sport that they've no intrest in.

If you have no interest in the sport, why would you want maps of the stages?

Fey! wrote: »
    If you have no interest in the sport, why would you want maps of the stages?

eh to avoid the thing:rolleyes:

The closed roads are single lane back roads miles outside the city, so the only people who use them are locals(who have been consulted about the closures) so its highly unlikely that you need to know anything about the closures other than to be a nosey tosser who wants to find something to bitch and moan about.

btw you dont pay road tax, you pay motor tax which goes into the government coffers and does not directly pay for any roads/maintenance.

996tt wrote: »
    The closed roads are single lane back roads miles outside the city, so the only people who use them are locals(who have been consulted about the closures) so its highly unlikely that you need to know anything about the closures other than to be a nosey tosser who wants to find something to bitch and moan about.

btw you dont pay road tax, you pay motor tax which goes into the government coffers and does not directly pay for any roads/maintenance.
    "nosey tosser" is it :rolleyes: just for wanting to avoid an inconvincence? christ I'd be scared to ask for the time round your way!

road/motor tax, pedantic semantic aside, how the hell would you know where I need to go or what i have to do on the PUBLIC roads? not, that its any business of yours anyway unless you're the "nosey tosser"

Its not just the stages themselves, its the volume of traffic between them, people have every right to know about so they can avoid them if they want.

I have no idea why you choose to be so rude and defensive,I haven't been as critical of the rally as others here.

• Advertisement

That's a fair reason.

Part of the reason the maps aren't made too public in advance of the rally is to avoid having gurriers racing up and down the stages at night, annoying residents and potentially being a danger.

The road closing order of decision is always printed in the public notices in the Connacht Tribune in advance of the event, as well as being posted on the County Council website. This gives people a good idea of where the rally will be, without giving stage specifics.

Every house on each stage, as well as each house within half a mile of each stage on side roads, is visited pre event and given a letter with emergency numbers in case they have a problem on the day, the number for the residents liaison in case they have to leave or return during the day, and a map of the stage. If there is nobody home, the letter and map are left for them.

Attempts are also made to make contact with anyone with land adjacent to the stage.

To be fair, 99% of the people living on the stages are happy to see the rally and don't have a problem with it; they see it as a distraction and a bit of entertainment. As long as we do our best to accomodate them, they're happy.

As for the higher volume of traffic, you get the same with crowds going to matches. I take it that you endeavour to avoid them, too.

Advertisement