Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GALWAY RALLY

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

ADSC1862.jpg
    How is it boring to watch?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Fey! wrote: »
    That's a fair reason.

Part of the reason the maps aren't made too public in advance of the rally is to avoid having gurriers racing up and down the stages at night, annoying residents and potentially being a danger.

The road closing order of decision is always printed in the public notices in the Connacht Tribune in advance of the event, as well as being posted on the County Council website. This gives people a good idea of where the rally will be, without giving stage specifics.

Every house on each stage, as well as each house within half a mile of each stage on side roads, is visited pre event and given a letter with emergency numbers in case they have a problem on the day, the number for the residents liaison in case they have to leave or return during the day, and a map of the stage. If there is nobody home, the letter and map are left for them.

Attempts are also made to make contact with anyone with land adjacent to the stage.

To be fair, 99% of the people living on the stages are happy to see the rally and don't have a problem with it; they see it as a distraction and a bit of entertainment. As long as we do our best to accomodate them, they're happy.

As for the higher volume of traffic, you get the same with crowds going to matches. I take it that you endeavour to avoid them, too.

"That's a fair reason" : Thanks, but "996tt" doesn't seem to think so!

"the Connacht Tribune in advance of the event, as well as being posted on the County Council website" :

I've never visited the Tribune wesbite but the CC is a disaster as far as I recall

"As for the higher volume of traffic, you get the same with crowds going to matches. I take it that you endeavour to avoid them, too":

I dont see how that's any of your business, thank you very much;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Why do people insist on standing on the very spot a car will go through if the driver makes a mistake and looses control on a corner? Never understood that, I mean if your watching the rally surely you should be familiar with the physics involved? I'm basing this on seeing rallying on the telly, don't know if people do that here. Not knocking Rallying as a sport just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Because its the best spot to see the car in action obviously, any fool can drive fast in a straight line. Secondly you can see cars approaching better if you are at a chicane/corner.

Lastly and most importantly, its the most likely spot to see a crash

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

milehip1 wrote: »
    @ Ghosty!
    "Alot of work goes into the rally weeks in advance bills have to be paid money has to come from somewhere! and come on!!! its about a tenner to go into the cinema for an hour or 12 euro for 2 full days of adrenalin filled action thats good!!!! and locals that are on the stages are informed 6-8 weeks in advance!"

If a "sport" takes place on a public road for which I've paid road tax to use, then I've everyright to FREE and open acess to information about that event!

It should not be withheld as a means of making ppl spend 12euro on an program for a sport that they've no intrest in.

for the cork 20 my road was closed as there was a stage and they gave every one on the closed roads a free program

• Advertisement
Advertisement