Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank screen after installing new motherboard

Options
  • 04-02-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Well Lads,

Hope you can help.

Have a Toshiba laptop. (Don't have the spec with me at the moment but its silver and about 9 months old - pretty good spec)

About two weeks ago I tried to turn it on and nothing. Just a power light and nothing else. Turns out that I shorted it out with a damaged USB port and thus voided the warranty.

I bought a new motherboard and installed it last night.

Now the power light is on, the fans starts and stops and I can hear the hard drive clicking away but a blank screen. All mounted and connected up fine from what i can see. Tried booting with everything on a piece of cardboard to make sure it wasn't the casing and the same result. No fail sounds coming off the motherboard. Ram mounted correctly. Tried switching out the Ram and booting with each of the respective RAM boards.

I'm thinking either:
    - RAM got damaged when i shorted the motherboard
    - Processor is damaged
    - Motherboard is DOA

If I'm missing something obvious I'd be delighted to try it. If you need any other info just shout.

Fingers crossed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Might be worth trying to hook it up to an external screen or TV with a VGA or HDMI lead.
    There should be some kind of POST BIOS message showing.
    If there is no POST, I'd re-check all ribbon connections.

Does the hard drive stay running or just cut out?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Thanks mon - hard drive stays clicking away. not franticly but enough for me to know its alive. fan stops after about 2 seconds into boot

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

fixed - processor wasn't mounted correctly

Advertisement