Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guys wtf can i do now

Options
  • 04-02-2011 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

failed all my exams can i still do semester 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Em... It depends!

Check out the module requirements for the second semester. Once your semester 1 modules aren't pre-requisates for any semester 2 module then yes, you can continue on and do semester 2.

However...

To continue on with your degree will be expensive. All failed subjects with the exception of up to 3 E's have to be repeated. This isn't cheap. Take a hard look at yourself... Why did you fail? Were you not bothered? Were you overwhelmed by the workload?

If you just weren't bothered... perhaps the course isn't for you? It's not keeping you attention? Be brutal on yourself! I went through a similar situation and realised i needed to get my head in gear and powered through.

If you chose to go forward, you are going to have to work your butt off. You are going to have much more exams then all your other class mates. This increased workload is hard, tiring and stressful. But, its a lesson. You will learn a new work ethic you can then apply to subsequent years.

It's doable, but.. do you want it enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I see from your other thread that you failed all your subjects without any E's so you can rule out pass by compensation. Basically you will have to repeat all this semester on top of next semester so you will be doing 12 subjects, id talk to you student advisor but it looks like your banished to stage x.

vertigo_pic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

so i repeat these 6 in summer?(not all of them were sit down exams and i seen on blackboard there is a few things about handing up assignments if u failed 1st semester)

yeah i really wanna do the course its just i found adapting to coll life in first semester kinda tough...i also picked a subject i shouldnt have done and dropped it this semester....also 1 of my core modules i failed because it was very difficult for me. the other 3 i have no exuse..absolute mare

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

If you're impersonating Ross O'Carroll Kelly (as seems to be the case from your other posts), you are taking it to extreme lengths at this point... kudos.

what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

hard luck man, do you not like your course or did you just not do any work? i know some really smart people who failed a few down to being lazy and just not botherin, have to pull the socks up and study this semester im afraid

yeah exactly brah..yeah did no work really and didnt really like what i was doing tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Didn't Einstein fail a lot of his University exams?

But seriously OP, you're doing Arts. It's not as if you had a large workload to begin with. Did you do any work whatsoever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But seriously OP, you're doing Arts. It's not as if you had a large workload to begin with. Did you do any work whatsoever?

Jesus posts like this are the most clichéd, hackneyed, unfunny joke possible. We get it, you do science. You make fun of Arts. Aren't you special? It is about as funny as saying all science students are friendless, geeky virgins. You are not the first person to ever make fun of Arts. You won't be the last. Get some new material! You do not do arts (doing 1 elective is not the same), so you do not actually know what it is like or what it takes to do very well in Arts.

OP, if you are being serious, your only option is to go to your programme office. There are so many variations possible (muboop1 explained most of them) that we cannot give an actual answer on here. Go to them ASAP and work out what you can do, what you want to do and what you can afford to do.

If you're pulling the píss on here, the joke isn't funny any more!

i attended all the lectures but i absolutely hated history and didnt know what to do for assignments. geography i enjoyed failing those 2 modules is such a joke but i deserve what i get.

• Advertisement

Go to the Programme Office and your student advisor.

As for how to do better, it is about more than just going to lectures. You need to read regularly and put work in every week. Showing up is the bare minimum. If you get an essay and don't know what to do, talk to your tutor or arrange a meeting with other staff members. UCD has facilities to help students, so use them.

Jesus posts like this are the most clichéd, hackneyed, unfunny joke possible. We get it, you do science. You make fun of Arts. Aren't you special? It is about as funny as saying all science students are friendless, geek, virgins. You are not the first person to ever make fun of Arts. You won't be the last. Get some new material! You do not do arts (doing 1 elective is not the same), so you do not actually know what it is like or what it takes to do very well in Arts.

OP, if you are being serious, your only option is to go to your programme office. There are so many variations possible (muboop1 explained most of them) that we cannot give an actual answer on here. Go to them ASAP and work out what you can do, what you want to do and what you can afford to do.

If you're pulling the píss on here, the joke isn't funny any more!

Parker, I have this deep gut feeling that you'd be the first person to reply to my post :P

Anyway, I'm not getting into an argument with you about Orts, it was not the intention of my previous post. My intention was however to highlight the fact that the OP did feck all work and let's be honest Arts does have less hours than most other degrees so there's little room for excuses in terms of putting in a few hours study.

In earnest, my criticisms were only to direct the OP down a path of review and improvement of his/her first semester.

The programme office will help you OP but it's not the soul solution, you seriously need to get back on the ball if you want to continue with university.

KP, it is not as if you do not pretty regularly come out with "Arts lol" style answers on here. You already said you had no sympathy for somebody failing Arts today, which makes it seem like Arts is something everybody should pass. That is not necessarily correct. Some courses/subjects/modules do not suit certain people. That is also a fact.

As I said above, Arts is about putting in the work outside class. Yes you are right, he did no work, but it is no different to anybody in any course not doing the bare minimum requirements. Arts intentionally has fewer contact hours with students as it requires a different form of learning than other courses. The OP has admitted that and hopefully now makes the best decisions for their future.

KP, it is not as if you do not pretty regularly come out with "Arts lol" style answers on here. You already said you had no sympathy for somebody failing Arts today, which makes it seem like Arts is something everybody should pass. That is not necessarily correct. Some courses/subjects/modules do not suit certain people. That is also a fact.

I have no sympathy for him/her on the grounds that he/she did have time lots of time on his hands to study and do the coursework yet he didn't take the opportunity. You're generalising my comments as just the typical "arts lol" comments, they're not. My comments are aimed at the OP's seriously lack of work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It is about as funny as saying all science students are friendless, geeky virgins.
    You mean in that they're both funny because they're both true?

Disclaimer: Write off any exceptions as experimental errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

lake monday at 3 o clock lads...sort this out like men.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As a student who to be fair, basically does arts (law, meh).

I will say arts is objectively harder to fail then science, you should be able to do the work outside class and ****. In saying that, essay based exams are objectively harder to get top marks in.

Also, fairly sure this is troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Science is easier to get top marks (objectivity and specificity) but easier to fail.

Arts is easier to pass, harder to get top marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

If you do arts, arts is easier and vice versa with any course.

If you think any degree is "easy" - you are an idiot and academically fantastic but you get no medals just a ****ty piece of latin scroll.

This is in danger of turning into a big willy contest or a my course could beat your course up debate. No degree is easy, yet all are at the very least passable if people put in the necessary work and the material suits their abilities. The point should not be "you did Arts, you have loads of time off so you have no excuse". It is fair to say there have been intellectually heavyweight posts on Boards along the lines of "2 hours of lectures a week, lol". The point should be, you are in University put in the required work.

From my own experience, Arts is hard to fail. I saw plenty of people put in shockingly low amounts of work and get by with a pass. But it is also very difficult to do well in and to to so, you have to put the effort in and have a natural ability in your subjects. Which is the very same as any other degree in UCD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement