Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unleash the fury - My fitness and nutrition log

Options
  • 04-02-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

I said I would set up a log to help keep me on track. I am gonna do Stronglifts 5x5 for two months and see where it gets me. I have done a week already. But gonna say from Monday the 7th of February until the first Friday in April. I will be lifting Monday Wednesday and Friday. And I might try fit in a sprints session on a saturday evening.

Starting weights
    Workout A
    Squat 45 Kg 5x5
    Bench 40 Kg 5x5
    Barbel Rows 40 Kg 5x5
    Dips 3xf
    Core Work*

Workout B
    Squats 40 Kg 5x5
    Overhead Press 30 Kg 5x5
    Deadlift 60 Kg 1x5
    Pull ups/chin ups (alternate each session)
    Core Work*

* I understand that core work is taken care of in the squat, but is there any core exercise I could do to help the process of hardening my core at the end of each session?

I will up the weight every Friday was my intention. Is that a good idea?

My diet, is not great, gonna really have to work on it for this to be a successful attempt. But so far, any comments on my program, I would love to hear your feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Personally I would increase the weight after every successfully completed day. If you complete 40kgx5x5 then you should increase the weight. The amount you increase it by should depend on your original starting weight as well as how hard it was to complete the sets. So, for example, with the squats/deadlifts you could start by increasing it by 5kg each session for the first while or so with this decreasing to 2.5kg increases and below (I'd advise making own weights to increase weights by 1kg or so). Constant progression is the key!

For other exercises like the over head press, increases could start at 2.5kg or below.

I never liked decline sit-ups or any variations. I recommend hangling leg raises. No doubt you will be crap at these but you should improve with time, being able to raise your legs higher and higher each time and for longer periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

The smallest plates in the gym I am going to are 2.5kg. I might have to maky own weights. Not really sure how I'll go about doing that mind.

OK I took your advice Sangre. The weight was too light. I am starting again. I weigh 80kg. Slim everywhere bar a bit of a pot belly. Which I really want rid of. I can't run due to an ankle/calf injury. Working on it though. Physio says he will be able sort it. But in the mean time I need another cardio option.

Back to the weights though: gonna be lifting tomorrow 5x5:

Squat: 70kg
    Bench: 55kg
    Barbell Rows: 40kg
    Chin ups 3xf
    Prone bridges 3x30 seconds

Is that a very light work out?

My goals are by April 1st to lift 5x5

Squat 120kg,
    bench 70 Kg,
    Deadlift 180kg,
    overhead press 60kg,
    Barbell rows 60kg,
    Pull ups 10,10,10
    Chin ups 10,10,10
    Dips 10,10,10

Is this achievable do ye think?

My diet is rubbish. Truly shocking. I have biscuits in my mouth before I realise what I am doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

A 50kg increase in your squat is a lot in a month! It's not impossible but that'll be tough!

With regards cardio, can you cycle? Great workout plus it's low impact

I could probably squat 80kg 5x5 now. But my knees would ache, I am trying to build up the muscle slowly. Getting lots of protein with the way shakes. Never used them as frequently before. Well it's five weeks, 15 sessions, if I got over 100kg 5x5 it would be a new personal best.

I don't have a bike unfortunately. Bike in the gym will have to do for now. Though I find it awful for more than a ten minute warm up.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    My goals are by April 1st to lift 5x5

Squat 120kg,
    bench 70 Kg,
    Deadlift 180kg,
    overhead press 60kg,
    Barbell rows 60kg,
    Pull ups 10,10,10
    Chin ups 10,10,10
    Dips 10,10,10

Is this achievable do ye think?

Your goals are to do the above weights for 5x5? Eh, that would very optimistic imo! Don't set goals that are too high and then be disappointed that you miss them.

Deedsie, my intention wasn't too have you start on a much higher weight. Doing so risks you stalling very soon. I just wanted to make sure that if the weight you were squatting (or whatever) was light then to jump by 5kg, not just upping weight every Friday. Remember, if you're squatting twice a week and increasing by 5kg each session the weight moves up very fast!

Best of luck. A would strongly recommend videoing a lot of your lifts. No point increasing the weight each week if it just results in your form getting worse and worse.

I'm only getting around to look at the nutrition side of things now. I have calculated my daily calorie requirements as 4000 per day. Minus 15% equals

3400 cals per day. I really want to lose the spare tyre around my waste and as I can't run at the moment I may try and get the diet right.

Would this be more or less than 3400 cals:

2 weetabix at 7.00
    Porridge at 10.00
    Brown roll at 12:30
    Fruit and nuts at 3.00
    Protein shake with milk and banana at 5.00
    Dinner chicken,veg and stir in sauce at 6.00

Then prob have a snack at eight. Tea and a biscuit, boiled eggs and toast, crackers and cheese, brown bread and cheese kinda thing.

Well is that an awful or improving diet?

I am gonna try put up a weekly log of what weights I did or have planned to do. I really need the advice of others as I am a bit out of my depth. I really want to get rid of the fat around my stomach. I don't have to have a six pack just dont want a pot belly.

Monday
    Ten minute warm up on bike.
    Stretch.
    Squat 75kg 5x5
    Bench 55kg 1x5, 50kg 4x5
    Barbell rows 35kg 5x5
    Chin ups 2,1,1
    Prone bridge 3x30s

Wednesday
    Ten min warm up
    Stretch
    Squat 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Press 45kg 5x5
    Deadlift 90kg
    Dips 3xf
    Prone bridges 3x30s

Friday
    Squat 85kg
    Bench 55kg
    Barbell rows 40kg
    Pull ups 3xf
    Prone bridges

I really need more cardio in my programme, but I have an injury to my heel and can't run. Retrocalcaneal Bursitis

Just wondering if anyone could Help me out with this problem I have been having. Everytime I lift, I advance quickly through the squat, overhead press and the Deadlift and dips.

However, my bench, barbell row, chin ups and pull ups are a complete disaster. Why am I reasonably good at some, and abysmal at others. My bench is 55kg at the moment, and not looking like I am gonna get passed it to quick. Pull ups and chin ups are a farce. Dips on the other hand I find easy.

Is there anything I can do to improve this side of my programme?

Update on my lifts so far. My bench is awful. Really want to up it.

Squat 95kg 5x5
    Bench 55kg 3x5, 50kg 2x5
    Deadlift 100 Kg 1x5
    Overhead press 45kg 5x5
    Barbell rows 35kg 5x5
    Dips 10, 2, 1
    Chin ups 2,1,0
    Pull ups 1,1,0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Deedsie wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could Help me out with this problem I have been having. Everytime I lift, I advance quickly through the squat, overhead press and the Deadlift and dips.

However, my bench, barbell row, chin ups and pull ups are a complete disaster. Why am I reasonably good at some, and abysmal at others. My bench is 55kg at the moment, and not looking like I am gonna get passed it to quick. Pull ups and chin ups are a farce. Dips on the other hand I find easy.

Is there anything I can do to improve this side of my programme?

For Bench press have a look at some Dave Tate videos on youtube, I picked up good form from looking in to them, has improved my bench but not by much yet!

Just keep doing chin ups and pull ups, I find over time when my compound lifts increase my pull ups and chin ups will increase.

I hear your frustration though, I got up to 1.5BW on the Squat without stalling much but everything else is rubbish! Nearly on to 3X5 on the OH press.

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    For Bench press have a look at some Dave Tate videos on youtube, I picked up good form from looking in to them, has improved my bench but not by much yet!

Just keep doing chin ups and pull ups, I find over time when my compound lifts increase my pull ups and chin ups will increase.

I hear your frustration though, I got up to 1.5BW on the Squat without stalling much but everything else is rubbish! Nearly on to 3X5 on the OH press.

Thanks for that. I'll certainly have a look at them. It's insanity to me, squat is flying, bench stalling at 55kg. What weight is your OH at do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

I can get 3X5 at 50kg but not 5X5. Last chance to get 5X5 on Monday.

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    I can get 3X5 at 50kg but not 5X5. Last chance to get 5X5 on Monday.

My first attempt at 45kg 5x5 is tomorrow. 40kg was tough, not really expecting to succeed...

Are you jumping 5kg in the overhead? Why so much? Thats a 12.5% increase! That would be like jumping to 101.25kg on a 90kg squat!

I found working on my overhead press had a big carry over to my bench. Your back work will help as well.

Advertisement