Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda: What Will You Ask Canvassers?

Options
  • 04-02-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

The madness is upon us. When you want to rest your tired bottom in front of the telly or with your family, you will hear the knock and there will one or more awfully friendly and sparkly eyes people who appear to think you are their best friend. You would have never seen them, and rest assured you are very unlikely to see them for next 4-5 years. So what will you tell them? Do you have any specific questions to make them work for your vote, burst their bubble etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Living an a rural area we never get the actual candidates calling (at least not in the past 25 years), so little point raising anything. I have asked about this white paper or that bill over the years only for Tommy from the farm down the road to reply "I'd don't know about that now, but sure you'll give Mick a vote - he's a grand fella".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Not only are we rural but we have a nice big set of electric gates without a bell so we never see anybody we don't want to.:D

However one thing I would like to ask any potential candidates who are campaigning is about restructuring commercial rates for businesses/premises as these are crippling many businesses new and existing. Even if business owners get rent reductions they still have to hand over a huge lump sum which can be the difference between them keeping the doors open or closing up and their staff going on the dole queue.

I would love to start up my own business, there are great deals on leases and stockwise I could have a relatively low startup but rates could prevent me getting going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

Few things I had in mind:

* Broadband. Do you know the current situation? What do you think is acceptable level of service? What can you do about it?

* What were you doing last few years? Did you see the trouble the country was getting itself in? If the answer is 'No', do you accept incompetence? If 'Yes', did you stand up and protest? Did you protest enough? Are you a bit tired of the system and/or are you too complacent to protest?

* What do you think is the most severe form of protest you or your supporter can or would do to protect your subjects?

* What in your opinion was the single most significant contributing factor for the economic situation we are in? (If they answer world economic meltdow, I would slam the door on them. If they answer house price collapse, I would slam the door on them. If they blame greedy bankers, I would slam the door on them. If they blame themselves for not seeing it coming and admit that they caused it - I will cut them some slack).

Yeah, all in my dreams of course - All I will get is some hoodie wearing kid dropping leaflets at 4 in the morning. I should remember to lock up my bike so that he doesn't nick it. Oh wait, someone stole that last week. Right... ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'll ask them can they not read the f..king sign on my door saying " NO CANVASSERS!" :mad:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

For Shanks Godfrey, I would ask him has he reconsidered his stance on lowering the age of eligibility for the presidency? His last response was

"Em...I put the lights on the vidauct. Lit it right up. That was me. Is your mam in?"

I was 20 and had the vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

For Shanks Godfrey, I would ask him has he reconsidered his stance on lowering the age of eligibility for the presidency? His last response was

"Em...I put the lights on the vidauct. Lit it right up. That was me. Is your mam in?"

I was 20 and had the vote.

During shank's reign as mayor of Drogheda, it was proposed at the corporation meeting that Gondolas should be placed on the river Boyne. Shanks was all on for the proposal, his main concern was,

WHO Would feed them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Shamelessly poached from the 'You laugh, you lose' thread in Cool Vids and courtesy of Noel2k9:

179403_174837125894772_117022648342887_409902_762664_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I had one canvasser. One for fine gael. When I had just answered the door she said: ''oh no, this guy is probably saying to himself: not more canvassers yet again.''

I quietly took the leaflet they handed out and was done with it. Was too busy to even care really. Not that I dont care, I do, just was not... in the mood...so to speak.

One canvasser actually just left a leaflet and never even rang the doorbell or called. Yup, it was fianna fail. Its obvious why they didnt. Big fear at the moment. However, those of their party who made huge mistakes should not mean that we tar them all with the same brush. I think the ones who make mistakes are often the ones who learn from them and make better decisions in the future.

Go ahead and disagree with that one, its the whole point of a good discussion but thats my way of looking at it.

Onesimus wrote: »
    I think the ones who make mistakes are often the ones who learn from them and make better decisions in the future.

Ey? That statement is just wierd. You are saying those who make mistakes often learn from them - as compared to what? those who don't make mistakes? So those who make mistakes are better than those who don't make mistakes because those who make mistakes can learn from their mistakes where as those who don't are not good because they have no mistakes to learn from? :D

...However, those of their party who made huge mistakes should not mean that we tar them all with the same brush.

Would you feel more comfortable with one of the Pope's organs inside you, or would you feel more comfortable with the shame of voting Fianna Fail after all that has happened inside you?

I'd take the Pope's heart, black as soot and still going.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    Ey? That statement is just wierd. You are saying those who make mistakes often learn from them - as compared to what? those who don't make mistakes? So those who make mistakes are better than those who don't make mistakes because those who make mistakes can learn from their mistakes where as those who don't are not good because they have no mistakes to learn from? :D

Take a look at Nelson Mandela for instance.

and hey, name me just one human being who never made a mistake in their life?

and hey, name me just one human being who never made a mistake in their life?

Bill Cosby.

Would you feel more comfortable with one of the Pope's organs inside you, or would you feel more comfortable with the shame of voting Fianna Fail after all that has happened inside you?

I dont care about shame. I've got my shame and mistakes in life and have learned from them, and in doing so changed my life around in the process. I'm nobody for pointing fingers at peoples sins and mishaps.

As benjamin franklin once said: '' a man who makes excuses is seldom good for anything.'' but yeah, a man who can own up to his mistake and promise a more secure future is one who cares for his people. Fianna fail have not backed down and run. They are out there with a plan and sticking it to the man. thats what I call courage. Thats what I call leadership. One who can pick himself up from the ground and carry on.

Now fine gael and the rest of them who are pointing fingers at the greens and fianna fail? well they are the cowards, the snitches and the backstabbers. Using fianna fails mistakes to get the votes. Shame on them is all I can say.

I care about the caliber of the next candidate coming up around us. And if I were representing fianna fail I would have more fire in me belly to get things sorted and sweep up the dust that my previous party candidates had left. We should look at this and their plan and really reconsider voting for them.

I'm telling you, people have a habit of voting for the wrong people due to their coronation - street - pointing - finger attitude and cost the country quite a bit in their ignorance. I'm one of those ignorant people who in the past did just that.

But for me its either fianna fail or green party and yet they are the very ones people are claiming are no good. Then again I could be wrong. or am I really wrong? we shall wait and see.

I dont care about shame. I've got my shame and mistakes in life and have learned from them, and in doing so changed my life around in the process. I'm nobody for pointing fingers at peoples sins and mishaps.

As benjamin franklin once said: '' a man who makes excuses is seldom good for anything.'' but yeah, a man who can own up to his mistake and promise a more secure future is one who cares for his people. Fianna fail have not backed down and run. They are out there with a plan and sticking it to the man. thats what I call courage. Thats what I call leadership. One who can pick himself up from the ground and carry on.

Now fine gael and the rest of them who are pointing fingers at the greens and fianna fail? well they are the cowards, the snitches and the backstabbers. Using fianna fails mistakes to get the votes. Shame on them is all I can say.

I care about the caliber of the next candidate coming up around us. And if I were representing fianna fail I would have more fire in me belly to get things sorted and sweep up the dust that my previous party candidates had left. We should look at this and their plan and really reconsider voting for them.

I'm telling you, people have a habit of voting for the wrong people due to their coronation - street - pointing - finger attitude and cost the country quite a bit in their ignorance. I'm one of those ignorant people who in the past did just that.

But for me its either fianna fail or green party and yet they are the very ones people are claiming are no good. Then again I could be wrong. or am I really wrong? we shall wait and see.

What constituency are you running in?

What constituency are you running in?

The constituency that stands in the dole queue on a hard and cold monday morning.

The constituency that stands in the dole queue on a hard and cold monday morning.

OK, then why on earth would you vote for the people responsible for your long stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Shamelessly poached from the 'You laugh, you lose' thread in Cool Vids and courtesy of Noel2k9:

179403_174837125894772_117022648342887_409902_762664_n.jpg
    Whoever left that on their door was being a bit of an idiot. This cheese was given out for free by the EU and and the SVP welcomed it. The mess FF made of the IMF negotiations doesn't change the fact that the above was a good idea and welcomed by charities in this country. It's almost like people would rather the EU kept the damn food and we let even more impoverished people go without a nutritious foodstuff.:mad: It's crap like that which undermines good reasons for why FF/Gr should be kicked out of office.

... They are out there with a plan and sticking it to the common man.

There, fixed that for you. :rolleyes:

OK, then why on earth would you vote for the people responsible for your long stand?

Hey I understand people make mistakes, and my previous statements show up such a false argument. Every party in this country have made mistakes both big and small that have cost the country. But we still vote for them. I'm not voting for an immaculate robot. I'm voting for human beings who are striving to be good and have that fire in the belly to make life better for the Irish public.

in relation to my long stand in the queue. So what? if the thermometor were half an inch longer this country we would be freezing to death. Bunch of moaning goats that we are. We havnt a clue how to be content with what we are given or live it a little rough for a while until things get better.

Up the north there are boys standing in the dole queue for a mingy 40 quid and have done so for yearsssss. I never hear them complain. I dont speak for them all in that regard but it can be done. Down here a tenner is taken off a 200 euro from the dole and they drive their cars through the dail. We are spoilt rotten.

We need also the change our very self before we can help this country get on its feet. I cant complain. I'm not interested in driving meself into debt by taking out a loan for something as extravagent as a leather sofa just to impress my neighbours with. A decent lifestyle is what the people should seek. we contribute to the problem also with our selfish want want want debt loan debt loan lifestyle.

Owning up to that takes courage. But hey go ahead and point the finger at someone else. Most ordinary folks havnt a clue about politics ( I'm one of them ) and are most likely just going to vote for anyone else other than fianna fail out of sheer badness and to say: I told ya so. But not upon the caliber of the next candidate.

So go ahead folks and give the aul usual eastender attitude and see where it gets you. Most certainly if we vote for Anyone else other than FF and Green it will be further into the gutter we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Hey I understand people make mistakes, and my previous statements show up such a false argument. Every party in this country have made mistakes both big and small that have cost the country. But we still vote for them. I'm not voting for an immaculate robot. I'm voting for human beings who are striving to be good and have that fire in the belly to make life better for the Irish public.

in relation to my long stand in the queue. So what? if the thermometor were half an inch longer this country we would be freezing to death. Bunch of moaning goats that we are. We havnt a clue how to be content with what we are given or live it a little rough for a while until things get better.

Up the north there are boys standing in the dole queue for a mingy 40 quid and have done so for yearsssss. I never hear them complain. I dont speak for them all in that regard but it can be done. Down here a tenner is taken off a 200 euro from the dole and they drive their cars through the dail. We are spoilt rotten.

We need also the change our very self before we can help this country get on its feet. I cant complain. I'm not interested in driving meself into debt by taking out a loan for something as extravagent as a leather sofa just to impress my neighbours with. A decent lifestyle is what the people should seek. we contribute to the problem also with our selfish want want want debt loan debt loan lifestyle.

Owning up to that takes courage. But hey go ahead and point the finger at someone else. Most ordinary folks havnt a clue about politics ( I'm one of them ) and are most likely just going to vote for anyone else other than fianna fail out of sheer badness and to say: I told ya so. But not upon the caliber of the next candidate.

So go ahead folks and give the aul usual eastender attitude and see where it gets you. Most certainly if we vote for Anyone else other than FF and Green it will be further into the gutter we go.

First of all , are you for real ? you say you are " voting for human beings who are striving to be good and have that fire in the belly to make life better for the Irish public . LoL :D FF have proved time and time again they dont give a toss about Ireland or the people and are more concerned with bond holders and banks .

And this is just unbelievable " We havnt a clue how to be content with what we are given or live it a little rough for a while until things get better " Tell that to people who are living below the poverty line and have been all there lives , the poxy Celtic tiger did not benefit everyone in the country you know . in my opinion all party politics in this country is deeply flawed , people follow political parties like english football clubs . Blind loyalty and no actual ethos or distinct vision . Its a joke that you can even try and defend ff after what has just happened . Get you head out of the sand .

• Advertisement

..rabble rabble rabble..

With all due respect to your opinions dear Onesimus, you do sound like you are in bed with FF and/or is paid to say stuff like that.

Anyway, may be we all should go back to the topic - which is - what would you ask the canvessers (rather than how you justify the canvassers) - Please! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Most ordinary folks havnt a clue about politics ( I'm one of them )

Most certainly if we vote for Anyone else other than FF and Green it will be further into the gutter we go.

you are right, you haven't a clue , the economy couldn't get any further into the gutter than it currently is, with the morons that have been in power for the last number of years.
    :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

the economy couldn't get any further into the gutter than it currently is

Hehe, I've thought that so often over the years. I have since learned never to underestimate the power of idiots :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

positron wrote: »

I like your reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I will ask Adams about Martin Corey

not the organ that came to mind to be honest.

It was once said we are aloud to make 41 mistakes a day but it has never been said that we are aloud to make mistakes, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade.

How long does it take to get it right iron out the creases, when you say learn from your mistakes I agree there should be room for another chance, its when you don't learn from them you should be punished, the reason people go to prison (he never learned from his mistakes that 1)

It is evident that FF are in the category of not learning and never learning, how many years did they get to fix the mistakes, they are not school kids on the playground, yet to watch them on RTE shouting over and back to each other you would wonder, to many chances is why Ireland in in this position,

not learning from their mistakes is the category they belong to, so prison is where they should be going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

It was once said we are aloud to make 41 mistakes a day but it has never been said that we are aloud to make mistakes,

Am I allowed to ask, is it due to the fact that living in Louth , a person is aloud to make mistakes.

Everybody in Louth is allowed to shout out aloud

Advertisement