Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brother wants me to put him on my insurance

Options
  • 04-02-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Quick question, my younger brother wants me to add him as a named driver to my insurance. I'm fully comp with almost 3 years No Claims Discount.

If he were to have an accident while driving my car, would that affect MY No Claims Discount and/or driving history or is the accident/claim attributed to his driving history and would affect any NCD he would be building up?

Or does it depend on who your insurance is with?

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If he is on your policy and is the culpable driver in a crash, then your NCB is affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mothere

If he is a named driver on your policy then it would be your NCD that will be affected. The policyholder is always penalised be it through an increased premium, additional loading points or losing your NCD if a named driver has an accident, claim, conviction or disqualification whilst on our policy. Also it will restrict you from changing companies midterm or at renewal if a named driver has an unsettled claim, etc, hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Your policy, your named driver, your bonus and claims history affected. It would follow you for a number of years and need to be disclosed at each renewal date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Thanks guys.

That's been a huge help-(note to self DO NOT PUT HIM ON MY INSURANCE!!! I value my NCD).

I'm hoping to go travelling soon and I'm keeping my car until I get back.

I've paid my policy until next Sept-hence why he asked to be put on mine.

Is it possible for me to cancel my policy and get him on his own policy on my car in the meanwhile if I stay as owner of the car or is that perceived as fraud.

I know if the owner and insurers name are different, insurers may see this as trying to trick them and may void the policy.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Registered owner and who insure the car can be different, that's no problem. As far as canceling your own policy, just call them and cancel they will refund you the remaining time, BUT be aware when you come back they can say that you have zero no claims as it is a new policy and not continuous, check with them and even if they let you stall the NCB anther company may not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Registered owner and who insure the car can be different, that's no problem. As far as canceling your own policy, just call them and cancel they will refund you the remaining time, BUT be aware when you come back they can say that you have zero no claims as it is a new policy and not continuous, check with them and even if they let you stall the NCB anther company may not.
    Rubbish.
    You cannot insure a car that is owned by another person. One of the safety checks an insurer uses to verify the situation is to ask if the car is registered in your name and if you misrepresent this situation, they can void your policy (different rules can apply for a husband/wife situation). As for losing your bonus if you cancel your policy, you would have at least a 2 year gap before a new insurer would consider it spent. Remember though, if you cancel your policy before your 3rd year is complete, you will be considered to only have 2 yrs NCB.

Advertisement