Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo: Combat Evolved remake confirmed

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I can't wait to see the HD remake of Halo 3 on the Xbox 720 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

krudler wrote: »
    WEll you're saying companies are milking us, if you dont think a game is worth buying then dont, simple as. People buy FIFA every year even though its the same game with roster updates, how is that being innovative?

I dont mind games being rereleased in HD or on a new engine. I love the Splinter Cell games, they've aged a bit graphics wise so if an update of a classic game is released with a new lick of paint at a reduced price then whats the harm? Ico/Shadow of the Colossus in HD is a day one buy for me, even though I have both of them on PS2.

But Halo CE can still be played on the current gen xbox console (HD or not), whereas Ico/ SotC cannot be played on the non BC PS3. The GOW collection was a worthwhile release for the gaming community and I'd imagine satisfied the game company involved. This Halo remake move is primarily in the interest of the gaming company without necessarily serving the gaming community well. But sure thats business!

In saying that it will not be the ruination of gaming or independant game manufacturers. I believe mainstream gaming is still in good shape relative to mainstream cinema and music. Plenty of good games released (without the need for remakes) and, unlike the music industry, there still exists enough quality producers/ artists within the mainstream. It is a long time since I delved into mainstream music for quality, yet IMHO independant/ alternative music is currently at the top of its game - if you know where to look. Like mainstream music, the Halo CE remake will just not be receiving my support, Ico/ SotC will.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

I can't wait to see the HD remake of Halo 3 on the Xbox 720 :pac:

I'd be more worried if the gaming companies like this move that we will see 'Fallout 3- in TECHNICOLOUR' on the PS3 or 'Limbo: The Talkie' on 360.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Matchmaking is the worst thing to happen to online gaming imo. I'd much rather a server list sorted by ping that I can pick from and maybe have a favourite so a bit of a community can grow. Instead I've to wait maybe a minute while matchmaking finds me a server and it's a roulette whether the ping is terrible or not. Worst of all it's starting to infect PC games that don't need it.

I agree I wouldn't be a fan on the PC but for consoles matchmaking is great in my opinion. I understand people have problems with certain games, but I can say with certainty, and, playing Halo: Reach almost nightly, lag is entirely nonexistant, it would be extremely unusual for me to experience lag. Never had any such problem in any other Halo game either. I still play Halo 2 occasionally on the PC as it doesn't work on Xbox Live anymore, and I use it's matchmaking rather than server list option, prefer it as it saves time and effort when you're just looking to play. I'm not saying you're not entitled to an opinion, or that it's not without merit, but really, when an entire industry by and large approves of both a game and what it brings to the market in terms of features and innovations as proven by rave reviews, an opinion that says otherwise is pretty much going against an established consensus.
    Saying it is considered the best console shooter of it's generation isn't really saying much and also has no bearing on whether matchmaking is terrible. Anyway I'd Rainbow 6 3 over it any day and it was out before it.
    I couldn't really call Halo a classic which is why it seems wrong. Comparing super mario bros to Halo is like comparing the godfather to the rock. And New Super Mario Bros Wii is far from a remake conidering other than some of the same gameplay it's all new.

Actually, it says alot. Up until Halo, PC Gamers were generally dismissive of consoles as FPS platforms. I was one myself, never even owned a console until the Xbox as I never really saw the appeal in them as I was and still am a dedicated FPS gamer, and there was nothing on the consoles to remotely match up to the likes of Allied Assault, AVP, Castle Wolfenstein, UT99, and so on. Halo changed that for me, I was astounded by how much I fell in love with it, something that hadn't happened me since the previous gen and Medal of Honor/Goldeneye - and even then, the likes of Medal of Honor were fantastic achievements for a console, but still lagging behind PC games in terms of visual quality, even if the other elements were nailed down. Multiplayer - again, Halo brought something new to the table entirely, that not only sucked in myself, but every single one of my friends, who had hitherto been diehard PS2 devotees. In fact, Halo is the reason that every single one of my friends now own 360's, as compared to only myself owning the original Xbox. It also converted a great deal of PC Gamers. That's why I consider it a classic, and why so many other people do too. A game doesn't have to be 'old' to be considered eligible for classic status as far as I'm concerned. It was not only king of console FP shooters, it gave them a fighting chance against their PC counterparts as well. There are literally no FPS titles on the Xbox original I consider worthy of holding onto bar Half Life 2 (itself an amazing achievement for the xbox original) and possibly Far Cry. Played Halo CE split screen a short while ago, and it's truly remarkable how it actually feels like it's almost Reach running on a crippled machine. That familiarity is also a reason I love Halo.

As for 343 milking their customer base dry....we're all capable of making conscious decisions, thankfully, no one is forcing us to purchase anything at gunpoint. If you don't want to Play Halo HD, no-one will force you, no one will accost you, no one will shove it into your face aggressively. Walk into a store and buy it, or don't. Simple as. Halo CE is a relatively old game at this stage, about 9 years old, and it can't be overlooked that Reach sucked in a huge generation of gamers that had never played Halo or probably even Halo 2. And, seeing as Halo chronologically begins about 1 second after the final video sequence in Reach, it would tie it together nicely for a great deal of people, rather than have to play the still decent but dated original.

Not to mention, there are plenty of us Halo fans out there, myself included, that would love the chance to play the original again, remastered. Now, my only concern is that it's a different developer (inevitable) but running a different engine (big warning sign). Halo is Halo, through every title, and has been since day one. A remake running on a new engine is liable to sever that tie and irk a great many gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,318 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

krudler wrote: »
    Halo CE is nearly 10 years old now, same principal really there are teens who were infants when it was released, New Super Mario Bros Wii is just a remake of the original with some new stuff thrown into it, why is that innovative and remaking Halo for a new audience isnt? bit contradictory there.
    4 player co-operative play is a pretty big effing deal, tbh. Especially to a franchise which has been for the last 20 years an essentially single-player game unless you count you and your brother taking turns as the green one and the red one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

10 years is the same lenght in any industry.... Remakes are done to bring the product to whole new audience... This is the same people buying the same game twice... Its a cynical cash in on weak minded people.... Its best support new innovative games from houses that are really trying to push the boundaries.... Please don't be stupid enough to encourage this "Cash-in" behaviour of suits with no eye to the future... Thats what has ruined the music industry and IS ruining the movie industry.
    While most of these points have been addressed in subsequent posts there's still something to be said about others.

For starters, 10 years is not the same in any industry. If I was to read a book written 10 years ago or watch a movie from 10 years ago, assuming they were good examples of their respective crafts (i.e. in the movie context, one which was notable for it's acting/writing/film-making rather than it's SFX budget) then it would be an entirely different experience than playing a game released 10 years ago.

Remakes also do not have to be solely designed to bring a product to a new audience. The ICO/SoTC collection and God Of War collections spring to mind as perfect examples of this, they offer a slightly upgraded version of the games which can run on modern hardware and can tackle some of the technical deficiencies found within. In the former collection, for instance, not only will it be getting a HD makeover but it will also have it's frame-rate addressed, something which both former players and newcomers will appreciate.

As for the Halo:CE remake itself, not only does the above apply but it is also seen as a milestone year in a series which has literally forged the reputation of Microsoft's foray into consoles. No other game on the platform has accomplished this and I can think of no other game which would deserve such treatment.

On a final note, as for supporting new innovations, see my replies in the "Eurogamer hits a nerve" thread or indeed most of my posts on this forum to see how much I agree with you. :)

Advertisement