Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconditioned computer

• 04-02-2011 4:31pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if there was anywhere in town I could either buy a recondition base unit, or get my old one repaired. My own is over 6 yrs old, so unsure if it would be worth getting it sorted.#
    I really don't need anything fancy, just something basic.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

What is wrong with the old one? If it is just a reinstall, any computer guy (like me)could have that done for a small fee.
    Also depends on what you would use it for, these days you could get a netbook (very small laptop with no cd/dvd drive) for about 250 euro brand new and with a warranty.
    If you compare that vs fixing a 6 year old pc, may be a better option depending again on what you use it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

phill106 wrote: »
    What is wrong with the old one? If it is just a reinstall, any computer guy (like me)could have that done for a small fee.
    Also depends on what you would use it for, these days you could get a netbook (very small laptop with no cd/dvd drive) for about 250 euro brand new and with a warranty.
    If you compare that vs fixing a 6 year old pc, may be a better option depending again on what you use it for.

Picked myself up a netbook from the dell outlet for 170 last week,thats with a 1 year warranty and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I wouldn't bother spending much money on a 6 year old PC.

I wouldn't bother buying re-conditioned either, prices for simple PCs have dropped like a rock.

If you just want a base unit, no monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. you could try these guys:

http://ankermann-pc.shops4ecommerce.de/shop/?lang=en

If you need any advice, contact me through my link in my signature below.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks guys for the advice, I have a laptop and a netbook for college. its really just for my young son to play on and if i need to do a lot of typing, i find it easier on a desktop.

as far as I know everything else is okay, the screen just displays the following when I switch it on

Award Modular Bios V6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
    Copyright (C) 1985-2004, Award Software, Inc.
    S651MPRZ F6fIQ

Check System Health OK
    Main Processor: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.66GHz (133x20)

Press DEL to enter Setup/Q-Flash, F9 for Xpress Recovery
    10/06/2004 - SiS-651-6A6IXG04C-00

I tried all the usual stuff like resetting the battery so I'm guessing its prob knackered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hard to know.

Maybe the boot priority is incorrect i.e. it's not looking at the hard drive to find Windows.

Press DEL to enter setup and try make sure that the hard drive is on the boot priority list:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Picked myself up a netbook from the dell outlet for 170 last week,thats with a 1 year warranty and all.
    I was on to a friend about the notebook because all i would want it for is the internet,he was saying i should get a tablet instead that they are the same thing,dont know much about them but see them in maplin for €180,what the advantages or disadvantage?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

tipptom wrote: »
    I was on to a friend about the notebook because all i would want it for is the internet,he was saying i should get a tablet instead that they are the same thing,dont know much about them but see them in maplin for €180,what the advantages or disadvantage?.

To be honest I wouldnt reccomend either of them but you can read here for some info http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364302,00.asp (I havent read it, was first result that came up in google when I searched 'netbook vs tablet')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Thanks limericks,think its mainly a screen size issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Id say before you buy a tablet, see if you can use one first. See if its compatible with what you would be using it for. Does that tablet have a physical keyboard? While i think they are great tools for certain jobs, not sure how well they would perform as someones only computer.

Advertisement