Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal action, architects, insulation.

Options
  • 04-02-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm getting fond of this site now.
    Basically, my mother bought a house in the country in 2004, after realising it was so cold after a period of two years we decided to put in an oil cooker in the kitchen. The house is a dormer, so we went through the soffit with the flue, and when plumbing back to the hot press realised that the house wasn't insualted and this is why it was so cold.There was some in the walls... a small omount at that 40mm... and the cheeky builder put 100mm quilt in the very top of the attic, basically what could be seen by the eye.
    The builder has since gone bust and this is going to court against the Architect who signed off the house.They however won't accept responsibility as he said that he could never have known as the walls had been boarded up. My opinion is that signing off means inspecting at certain stages. Further to this we had to get an engineers report done, so he insisted we drill a test hole in the floor/... and we found that there was no insulation in it either. Again he wouldn't accept responsibility, as he said this was only a small area of the floor, that other inspections would have to be completed.
    We the got a thermal imaging test done on the dwelling that showed up very badly for insulation.
    This is going to the high court, as it means a claim and ripping up the floors to be insulated and the rest of the house with that.
    Oil is costing in the region of 600e every 2.5 months to keep it relatively warm.
    I was just looking for opinions on the matter and of experiences of legal actions with architects.
    Any reply welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Thread locked pending consultation with fellow moderators

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement