Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSOD Bad Image Error!?

• 04-02-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

STOP: c000007b {bad image}
    The application or DLL \??|C:\WINDOWS\System32\GDI32.dll...

So it gets passed the windows logo but then blue screens with the above error, can anyone tell me how I can get into the hardrive to copy files off it or even how to repair the install, I've tried the repair console using chkdsk /r but no look, any ideas?

Win XP Pro
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Boot into the Recovery Console and try the following:

rename c:\windows\system32\user32.dll c:\windows\system32\user32.old
    expand e:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll

If it's just the one file that's a problem, that should sort it. Unfortunately I doubt that it is just one file - there's often a disk problem associated with these sorts of issues.

If you can't repair it, you should use

set AllowAllPaths = true

to let you navigate the whole drive. Your userdata will, by default, be in c:\Documents & Settings\USERNAME, but you may have other drives. Using the Recovery Console to back up your files will be a bit tedious though, as I'm not sure whether it will recognize USB hard drives and the like.

A better option might be to use something like a Ubuntu Live CD to boot the computer and copy your files - have a look here for some instructions on what to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if an older version of windows AND the hard drive has been moved to a different machine then 7B usually means it's using the wrong HDD controller drivers ,

if you are just looking to copy files quickly then a linux live cd is quick and easy , you can then repair windows at your leisure

because unless some knows how to change the HDD driver in an offline copy of windows you'd have to reinstall over the top to get hardware detection and if it's SATA you'd almost certainly need to procure drivers too

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

if an older version of windows AND the hard drive has been moved to a different machine then 7B usually means it's using the wrong HDD controller drivers

if you are just looking to copy files quickly then a linux live cd is quick and easy , you can then repair windows at your leisure

because unless some knows how to change the HDD driver in an offline copy of windows you'd have to reinstall over the top to get hardware detection and if it's SATA you'd almost certainly need to procure drivers too

I thought this too initially, but the stop code for wrong ATA mode is 0000007b, while the OP's is c000007b.

Though in saying that, my boss proved through demonstration that it is possible (though time-consuming) to move a copy of windows 2000 or XP from one set of hardware to another by making a series of registry changes (using a BartPE disk, for instance). This will get the system to boot with default VGA graphics and so on, at which point you install the the drivers for the new hardware. The only thing we haven't yet spent time on is working out whether this can be done to migrate a system from a PATA interface to a SATA interface. (Sounds pointless until you realise we have dozens of ancient computers running 2k and XP as control systems for experimental equipment, so being able to copy and migrate OS installs in the event of a failed drive/motherboard is actually quite useful...) Unfortunately, I can't get at the details of the changes required as they're saved on my work machine, but I'll post them up on Monday if anyone's interested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fysh wrote: »
    I thought this too initially, but the stop code for wrong ATA mode is 0000007b, while the OP's is c000007b.
    mostly mentioned for others browsing the threads
    Though in saying that, my boss proved through demonstration that it is possible (though time-consuming) to move a copy of windows 2000 or XP from one set of hardware to another by making a series of registry changes (using a BartPE disk, for instance). This will get the system to boot with default VGA graphics and so on, at which point you install the the drivers for the new hardware. The only thing we haven't yet spent time on is working out whether this can be done to migrate a system from a PATA interface to a SATA interface. (Sounds pointless until you realise we have dozens of ancient computers running 2k and XP as control systems for experimental equipment, so being able to copy and migrate OS installs in the event of a failed drive/motherboard is actually quite useful...) Unfortunately, I can't get at the details of the changes required as they're saved on my work machine, but I'll post them up on Monday if anyone's interested.
    Clone the HDD first for testing.
    then on the copy change the drivers, choose from a list and choose standard PC / IDE / VGA as appropiate or you could try and disable some other devices and then move, or with 2K you could try hardware profiles, if you can get your hands on one a PCI - PCMCIA controller will allow you more HW changes per boot. Might dig up my notes sometime on this.

the other option is an Ntbackup, with full system state and all
    do a fresh install on the new HW, then restore from the backup and choose NO to overwrite files (ie. keep all the HW drivers from the fresh install) you may need to service pack and patch to the same level as the original machine before the restore YMMV

Advertisement