Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi rice

• 04-02-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Looking for sushi rice (it's a short-grain rice, also known as sticky rice, or glutinous rice.) Does anyone know where I might find it in Limerick? Presumably in one of the ethnic food shops? I need to buy it as cheaply as possible. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My Japanese wife buys 'Oishi Yamato' rice (Italian, not Japanese) in the Asian shop at the top of Henry street. Even though it says 'sushi rice', she also buys 'mochikome' which is in a blue 'Golden Lion' bag (Chinese), and adds a small amount of that to the Yamato rice to make it sticky enough. Not sure how small you can buy - we always get the 10kg bag.

You can probably find sushi rice is tesco - I think I've seen it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭banie01

boomerang wrote: »
    Looking for sushi rice (it's a short-grain rice, also known as sticky rice, or glutinous rice.) Does anyone know where I might find it in Limerick? Presumably in one of the ethnic food shops? I need to buy it as cheaply as possible. Thanks!

You can get Sushi Rice, along with Nori, Wasabe and pickled ginger and lots of other ethnic ingredients in Tesco and Dunnes these days.
    Although if you find somewhere with Miso soup let me know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Thanks guys, I'll try that Oriental Supermarket at the top of Henry Street. I need to buy it economically so the 10kg bag is fine! (Please don't laugh but it's actually for my dog, who has kidney disease and needs a special, homecooked diet. The sushi rice is especially low in phosphorus.)

Oh and banie01, you can get different kinds of instant organic miso soup in Superquinn. The brand is "King Soba." I think it's about €2.50 for six servings.

Ingredients of red miso soup with tofu and ginger:

Miso 82% (soy beans, brown rice, starter culture aspergillus oryzae)
    Tamari (soya, sea salt)
    Tofu 4% (soya beans)
    Onion
    Ginger 1%
    Spring Onions
    Wakame
    Sea salt

www.kingsoba.com

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Hi Just saw it today In Natures Hand health shop.
    Crescent shopping centre.
    PS Hi to all. My first post on the boards

• Advertisement

Hi Just saw it today In Natures Hand health shop.
    Crescent shopping centre.
    PS Hi to all. My first post on the boards

Thank you for the tip, and welcome to boards! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Welcome to boards. I buy my sushi supplies in healthfood shops.

Advertisement