Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying Boss

Options
  • 04-02-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this one...

Sorry for a long post but I really need some advice on this one.

I currently work for a semi-state company. I am on a contract and have 2 years left but to be honest I think I might have to leave before that. My boss is a bully. He constantly demeans me and treats me like a pile of crap. He expects me to do a solicitors job at times when in fact I am an adminstrator. I gave him a report when he was in a meeting and he threw it back at me because one of the pages was slightly dog eared. I had to pick it up from the ground in front of a boardroom full of people. I swear I've never been so mortified in my life. He has been reported in his previous department for bullying but is still here. A colleague of mine couldn't cope with him and reported him and his assistant to the director of the section we work in, but again nothing was done. The girl was told basically that if she took it any further she'd no longer have a job in the company. She needed her job so didnt pursue it any further and just applied for and got another position in another department. He is the only man who has ever made me cry. I am afraid to report him for fear of losing my job and I feel that I can't trust anyone where I work as the director is very fond of him and his assistant, who can also be a bully too. They are also close to the people in HR so I feel I cant trust them either. I'm so miserable in my job that I just dont know what to do. I used to like working here when I had a different manager. He boasts about how much he loves sunday evenings because he knows he's back in work for the week and wants to see how many people he can cause trouble for.

I'm so sorry for the long and rambling post but I just don't know what to do or where to turn. Can someone please give me some advice? If this is in the wrong forum mods - please move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭looksee

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html?tab=

There is some comprehensive information here. In the meantime keep a record (keep a notebook) of all instances of bullying and efforts to reduce it, with dates and specific facts and records of conversations.

If you decide to pursue it get some professional/legal advice. Don't allow yourself to be pushed out, you have rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

I agree with looksee you should keep a record of every incident that occurs with this person, down to the tiniest thing that can be construed as bullying or harrassment. You should do this for a month and then bring it to HR's attention. While they might be friendly with him they are also obliged to investigate the matter when it has been officially reported. Alot of times in semi-state organisations they might have an external person in to investigate the complaint so they should be impartial.

Also if he is asking you to do solicitors work then try say that you are not qualified to do it - this may or may not work but its worth a shot.

A bright, cheery, positive attitude with yes sir / no sir and not let him know he's getting to you may also help as he probably relishes the fact that he knows he's getting to you.

Hope things improve for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here.

Thank for your help and information. I'm going to keep a record of everything from today onwards and hopefully, by the end of the week, if things have not improved, I will go to HR about him. Once again, thanks :)

My boss constantly puts people down. She talks about crew to other crew. Not in a positive way. She started a year ago and has ripped a close knit team apart by constantly talking about them behind their back. She's poked people in the back and cornered people up against walls confrontationally. She piles work on knowing its too much complete so you fail. When I'm doing well she takes away that thing I'm working on as if to say I'm not good enough. Gives me another task she knows I can't do. Initiative is a dirty word. She must micro manage everything. If we complain to her boss we suffer retaliation. So ots not worth reporting. I've been in the work force for 30 years and have never had a boss behave this way. I am amazed she still works here since every thing does is totally against the company standard. I'm miserable!

It is important to remain positive no matter how bleak your circumstances appear to be now. The darker it is the brighter are the stars.

Unfortunately you have no rights except in a court of law and you don't want to go down that road. If your place of work is corrupt and full of cronyism which from reading your post it appears to be, thread with extreme caution. If you decide that you cannot take the unacceptable behavior any more. Seek union assistance and backing. If you cannot get union support. My advice is to seek alternative employment. Not easy in the present climate. Your health is more important than the job and your reputation.

Your employer has all the power. If your employer is unscrupulous and has policies and procedures in place to merely fulfill their statutory legal obligation. They have the power to take disciplinary action against you for a whole host of reasons due to your employment status as a contractor you are in a weak position. They could wait in the long grass until your contract comes up for renewal. The present bullying legislation is relatively untested and weak.

The last throw of the dice would be to confront the bully in private and in a controlled emotional manner concentrate on the next event only and within the same week seek a one to one meeting and in a non confrontational confident demeanor inform your boss that you are not happy with the way you are being treated at that incident only. Do not tell them you think it's bullying. No one wants to be called a bully. Depending on how the meeting progresses. You might be surprised by their reaction when confronted and ask your boss how they would feel if their son, daughter, nephew or niece was treated in the same manner.

Refer to:
    http://www.abc.tcd.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement