Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Freesat

• 04-02-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Looking into getting my first freesat system as I got sick of sky costing to much and I'm only on the basic package plus my subscription is up :)

Anyways long story short is their a freesat kit out there that I can install myself so i need the dish,lnb,freesat box. also looking for HD as well.

Abit much to ask but Il leave it up to the pros here

Thanks again
    Jonathan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If you are doing a direct swap - all you need is a Freesat box. No need to replace the dish or LNB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Or the box either because its yours. Just take out the card , switch it off at the socket. Leave for a minute. Power it on again, hey presto ! Freesat. Not really, but you will see all the channels you can get without a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭foggers

jonon9 wrote: »
    Looking into getting my first freesat system as I got sick of sky costing to much and I'm only on the basic package plus my subscription is up :)

Anyways long story short is their a freesat kit out there that I can install myself so i need the dish,lnb,freesat box. also looking for HD as well.

Abit much to ask but Il leave it up to the pros here

Thanks again
    Jonathan

The others are correct in what they write. You really don't need to change anything to receive basic free to air services. I don't believe your sky+ will work if the card is removed either though, I'm open to correction on this though. For economy, you are probably better off sticking with what you've got but if it's an actual Freesat receiver that you are after, have a squint at the link to see the differences, costs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The recording facility of Sky+ definitely will not work if you cancel your subscription, unless you pay Sky a monthly fee to keep it activated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

foggers wrote: »
    For economy, you are probably better off sticking with what you've got but if it's an actual Freesat receiver that you are after, have a squint at the link to see the differences, costs etc

Somewhat pricey examples when p&p is added.

OP, you mentioned you want HD channels.

Buy this from Amazon (Free Postage)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sagemcom-Satellite-Digital-Receiver-freesat/dp/B002XSKSHM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296904430&sr=1-3

This box will provide BBC1HD, ITV1HD, BBCHD and very soon CH4HD.

Simply plug your cable out of Sky box and into the above and you're good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I would get rid of the sky box as it is very tempting to go back to sky.
    Freesat hd or a Freesat+hdr are both a great option.
    You could also look at a good combo box which could recieve both free to air satellite and RTE Saorview channels and have recording capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

so many posts on boards about uk freesat, i wonder if anyone in the uk will ditch sky and try and get irish saorview, they should block uk freeview in ireland, how else will saorview/crapview get a chance...

jc84 wrote: »
    so many posts on boards about uk freesat, i wonder if anyone in the uk will ditch sky and try and get irish saorview, they should block uk freeview in ireland, how else will saorview/crapview get a chance...

Great Free tv in Ireland. I have a Ferguson ariva combo picking up Irish Saorview, Wales Freeview and Free to air satellite and I would alway have my channel as follows;

1. RTE One
    2. RTE Two HD
    3. TV3
    4. TG4
    5. RTE News Now
    6. 3e
    7. BBC One HD
    8. ITV 1 HD
    etc
    etc
    etc

Saorview in pride of place No.1.
    So dont worry, us Irish are proud of our Free TV stations, Thankyou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

jc84 wrote: »

Well considering that Freeview/Sat does not carry the Saorview/Sat channels, I fail to see the problem.

Also, Saorview/Sat is not designed as a commercial service, they are there to replace the analogue services when they are turned off.

It would be very very hard to block Freeview signals in Ireland without blocking them in parts of the North also. Likewise, they can't block the FTA satellite signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Sorry lads for not getting back sooner the net was down due to winds here.

Yeah my first choice was to use my sky box but my sisters sky box died after 6 years use so i gave it to her. I reckon I start from scratch anyway.

Iv been eyeballing them sagemcom hd receiver for a while now might be the way to go but me other half watches rte1,2 tv3 and 3e so I guess a combo box is the way to go. will I have to run a second cable for the DTT channels.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads for not getting back sooner the net was down due to winds here.

Yeah my first choice was to use my sky box but my sisters sky box died after 6 years use so i gave it to her. I reckon I start from scratch anyway.

Iv been eyeballing them sagemcom hd receiver for a while now might be the way to go but me other half watches rte1,2 tv3 and 3e so I guess a combo box is the way to go. will I have to run a second cable for the DTT channels.

Yes you will have to connect to both a satellite dish and a terrestrial (aerial) antena.
    Both satellite.ie and freesat.ie are selling the Ferguson ariva HD Combo.
    I find it very easy to use. Only downfall is EPG data, you get full Tv guide 7 days for terrestrial channels but only now and next for satellite channels. You dont get the new RTE text but you still get the old Aertel, also no red button service on BBC but you can get all BBC interactive Stream channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

will I have to run a second cable for the DTT channels.

No need to run a second cable for DTT - use a combiner / splitter to run the DTT and sat down the same cable run.

http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=Connectors___Splitters

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Satellite_UHF_combiner.html

http://www.tvtrade.ie/alltrade-tv-aerial-and-satellite-combiner.html

you need to buy 2 - one for each end of the run.

You can also get them built into a socket for the room end
    http://www.satshop.tv/SAT-Antenna-Socket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Yes you will have to connect to both a satellite dish and a terrestrial (aerial) antena.
    Both satellite.ie and freesat.ie are selling the Ferguson ariva HD Combo.
    I find it very easy to use. Only downfall is EPG data, you get full Tv guide 7 days for terrestrial channels but only now and next for satellite channels. You dont get the new RTE text but you still get the old Aertel, also no red button service on BBC but you can get all BBC interactive Stream channels.

NO Red button service or other applications when they start here either. No MHEG5.
    See http://www.saortv.info/about/mheg5/

It's a "generic" European Combo HD box. No Saorview or Freesat features beyond basic minimum reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Or the box either because its yours. Just take out the card , switch it off at the socket. Leave for a minute. Power it on again, hey presto ! Freesat. Not really, but you will see all the channels you can get without a card.
    No you can no longer use an Irish Sky box as Freesat with UK EPG since the latest upgrade. The channels are still available via "Other channels" but whatever they've done the Irish EPG keeps on loading up and I've left the box unplugged for hours to check. Each time it's back to RTE 101 regardless of whether the card is in, out or shaken all about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No you can no longer use an Irish Sky box as Freesat with UK EPG since the latest upgrade. The channels are still available via "Other channels" but whatever they've done the Irish EPG keeps on loading up and I've left the box unplugged for hours to check. Each time it's back to RTE 101 regardless of whether the card is in, out or shaken all about!

Incorrect-well partly.

The epg 'problem' only affects HD boxes so bog standard Skyboxes or the white Sky+ boxes are fine and have the UK epg when the card is removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Oh, my apologies. Must edit my other posts to reflect this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Also looking to ditch Sky now that they are charging me over €100 pm for everything!

Was thinking of a triple tuner technomate 7100

http://www.skystream.ie/product.php?id_product=54

You can also get one with a built in Hard drive for another few euro!

Any opinions on this or decent alternatives would be appreciated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

scout353 wrote: »
    Also looking to ditch Sky now that they are charging me over €100 pm for everything!

Was thinking of a triple tuner technomate 7100

http://www.skystream.ie/product.php?id_product=54

You can also get one with a built in Hard drive for another few euro!

Any opinions on this or decent alternatives would be appreciated?
    I have one and am happy with it. But I use it to control a motorised dish, if you just plan on using it for the Freesat channels, you'd be better off with a Freesat box. As happy as I am with the TM for watching the foreign channels and the DTT ones, I am seriously considering getting a Freesat box to hook up to the old Sky dish, I really miss the 7 day satellite EPG, and the series link recording options, neither of which are available with the TM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Johnmb wrote: »
    I have one and am happy with it. But I use it to control a motorised dish, if you just plan on using it for the Freesat channels, you'd be better off with a Freesat box. As happy as I am with the TM for watching the foreign channels and the DTT ones, I am seriously considering getting a Freesat box to hook up to the old Sky dish, I really miss the 7 day satellite EPG, and the series link recording options, neither of which are available with the TM.

Having had Sky since day one I think the 7 day guide and the series link would be an issue ok. Is there any other box that might provide the triple tuner ( 2 x Sat and 1 x DTT)

The technomate site says that the TM 7102 has "Extended EPG and program reservation on EPG." whatever that means!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

scout353 wrote: »
    The technomate site says that the TM 7102 has "Extended EPG and program reservation on EPG." whatever that means!!!!

It means you get a 7 day EPG for those services which use the DVB-SI standard for transmitting EPG info e.g. Irish Saorview and the German satellite channels on 19E. Neither Sky nor Freesat uses DVB-SI for 7 day EPG.

If you're not so interested in getting the Irish channels, then a Freesat HDR is best for EPG and series link for UK sat channels.

For about €150-200 mark (e.g. Argus Mini), you can pick up a combo sat/terrestrial box which will allow you to watch Saorview and Freesat channels on the one STB - 1x sat tuner and 1x terrestrial tuner. You can record to external hard drive. No series link, only 'now and next' EPG for satellite and may be limited to recording either satellite or terrestrial.

For €250-€300, the newly released QBox Mini is similar to above, but has full 7-day EPG for both sat and terrestrial and allows recording from both sat and terrestrial simultaneously to external HDD. No series link.

For €430, Vu+ Duo has 2x sat and 1x terrestrial USB device. Full 7-EPGs, quasi-series link (auto timer), recording to internal HDD, and greater flexibility in terms of recording any sat channel while watching another.

And the final option is HTPC approach which offers full recording, EPG and series link - price varies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm going to piggy back on this thread...

For argument sake, if I ditch Sky and go for a Freesat and Saorsat, I know I'll need separate boxes for separate LNB's.

Here's my question, will a standard 60cm sky dish be able to pick up both Astra 28.2degrees east and Ka-Sat 9degrees east? Next question...is there an arm that is specifically designed to hold LNBs for these two angles?!

Thanks.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭lolie

my sisters just after moving into her new house and will probably go with an ariel for rte's etc and a dish for uk tv. just wondering would it make any sense to buy a free to air box instead of a freesat box? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm going to piggy back on this thread...

For argument sake, if I ditch Sky and go for a Freesat and Saorsat, I know I'll need separate boxes for separate LNB's.

Here's my question, will a standard 60cm sky dish be able to pick up both Astra 28.2degrees east and Ka-Sat 9degrees east? Next question...is there an arm that is specifically designed to hold LNBs for these two angles?!

Thanks.

60cm is too small. 90cm would be OK. Yes, multi-lnb brackets are available.
    lolie wrote: »
    my sisters just after moving into her new house and will probably go with an ariel for rte's etc and a dish for uk tv. just wondering would it make any sense to buy a free to air box instead of a freesat box? thanks

It may or may not depending on whether the availability of the Irish channels outweighs the lack of 7 EPG/interactive and series link.

What Apogee says.

134102.png

Extreme Left is 28.2 Freesat/Sky, Extreme Right is 9E.

Triax 90/95cm dish. The Triax Multi-LNB arm/bracket fits perfectly and includes four holders.
    The dish arm is strong enough for extra weight.

Off the axis of the arm the signal is weaker. Hence a larger dish is required, even for Sky.
    You need 2 x Disecq switches, or rather more expandible is an 17 x16 Multiswitch. Allows up to 16 tuners (8 PVRs), aerial input and up to four satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Butting in on this thread and hoping for some advice.

Living in the North I'm a Freeview fan myself and receive all of the RTE stations and TV3 via my aerial. Signals come from Belfast and Monaghan.

However little sis is considering ditching Sky and moving to Freesat. At present she receives all of the RTE stations and TV3 via Sky. The only thing holding her back is that hubby likes to watch TG4, Alba and Al Jazeera the question is will she continue to receive them if she jumps to Freesat and if so will she need to replace any equipment. She lives in Armagh.

I'm aware that Eamon Ryan signed an agreement with his British counterpart that would enable viewers in the North to view RTE 1, RTE 2, and TG4 on a free to air basis but I'm not to sure if they will be available on Freesat. As I understand it that agreement doesn't come into force until 2012

Anybody know what the situation is here in the North.

Kevin

Irish Channels won't and can't be on Freesat.

All the Irish channels will be on Saorsat, via Ka-Sat @9E on Ka-Band.

See http://www.saortv.info/channels/
    and http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/

In Armagh you will get all the Saorview from Monaghan, Cairn Hill or Clermont Carn via aerial. I think the post 2012 3 channel "lite" NI mux for Irish TV is a waste for most people:

http://maps.techtir.com/dtt-north-east.htm
    http://maps.techtir.com/dtt-north-midlands.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

kah22 wrote: »
    The only thing holding her back is that hubby likes to watch TG4, Alba and Al Jazeera the question is will she continue to receive them if she jumps to Freesat and if so will she need to replace any equipment. She lives in Armagh.
    Kevin
    I have a cheapo Freesat box and an "old" (non HD) LCD TV - just pulled out the old Sky box and plugged this in instead - same dish, same leads etc. (except there's no RF output). Yes I get Alba, Al Jazeera (English service), NHK, CNN etc. - it's the same satellite and signal streams as "Sky" - she will NOT get TG4 (or RTE1/2, TV3) as they are encrypted (ie not FTA). As Watty says she could probably get Saorview but that will mean buying a box, unless she happens to have a FreevieHD box or TV already.

She will have no problem - her only decision will be to pick between a cheapo Freeview box or a HD one, unless she really wants to go fancy with something that can pick up Freeview & Saorview & Freesat - that's a more difficult question.
    PS: she can get the Beebs, ITV's, Alba AlJazeeera et al without Sky subscription without buying anything new - just remove the Sky card from the Sky box - the channels will all be there - but the channel numbers will be scattered all over the place - having a Freeview box tidies this all up, and automatically copes if any of the channels changes frequencies and so on.

Advertisement