Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Liverpool Sunday 6th February 16:00

• 04-02-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

menupop.gifimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUc0GGBWsI9Hmq-mYe0YSGegksZ9efe07g51eZAc95UcY7W-dpvs images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYsFxRQsE8SECk7ySCd4vq7qO8F8at-vfaOlxcBdYCsNHfanoBew
    SkySports wrote:
    Rarely has a Premier League match been as eagerly anticipated. Fernando Torres is set to make his Chelsea debut against former club Liverpool on Sunday in a storyline of Aristotle dimensions.
    The Spain striker's status as a hero among fans in red has plunged after he quit Anfield on January transfer deadline day to make a record-breaking £50million switch to Stamford Bridge.
    For Chelsea, it is a dream move after signing one of the world's greatest forwards. For Liverpool, it has been an unbearable and messy divorce from a three-and-a-half-year relationship which had been assumed to be unbreakable.
    While the fortunes of Carlo Ancelotti's Chelsea have been seen to transform from bad to good with the deal, alongside the signing of David Luiz, Liverpool fans have been left questioning Torres' motivations and character.
    The former Atletico Madrid man will be a villain when the Merseysiders arrive in West London, but there will also be a certain element of trepidation towards the threat of their former idol's undoubted on-field ability.
    In contrast, Chelsea have been revelling in Torres' arrival and it is now thought that the defending Premier League champions can retain their title, which had looked in doubt after just one win in nine matches between mid-November and early January.
    Nine points out of nine have been recorded with a certain amount of style over the last three games and adding the firepower of Torres, which defeated Chelsea at Anfield in November, to that of Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka is a potent ingredient.
    Liverpool appear on a similar revival and, just one month after being wrapped in depression, the rejuvenating appointment of Kenny Dalglish has had an obvious impact, earning praise for the club's principal owner, John W Henry.
    Andy Carroll has of course been signed for £35m as a replacement for Torres, although the former Newcastle player will not be available against Chelsea due to his long-standing thigh strain, while Luis Suarez has also arrived from Ajax.
    The Uruguay international marked his debut as a substitute with a goal in midweek against Stoke and the £22.8m forward is now expected to start in England's capital at the weekend.Similarly to Torres, Luiz could make his first Chelsea appearance on Sunday having been ineligible for Tuesday's trip to Sunderland and Ancelotti will be eager for cover for injured centre-back Alex.
    Chelsea have no new injury concerns but, alongside Alex, Yuri Zhirkov (calf) and another former Liverpool player, Yossi Benayoun (Achilles), remain unavailable.
    Meetings between these two rivals are always highlights of the fixture list and Liverpool also go into the match on a high after three successive wins, with a previously shaky defence keeping a trio of clean-sheets in the process.
    Having tailored his formation to 3-4-2-1 to face Stoke, Dalglish is likely to revert to a more orthodox line-up, while midfielder Christian Poulsen, who sustained a back spasm in the warm-up against Stoke, should be back in the squad.
    Vice-captain Jamie Carragher returned for the first time in two months after a shoulder operation as an unused substitute in midweek and may again have to settle for a place on the bench.
    Former Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole injured a knee in training on Tuesday and is a doubt. Jay Spearing is out with a broken foot.
    Possible starting XI

Chelsea: Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Essien, Kalou, Anelka, Drogba, Torres.
    Liverpool: Reina, Kelly, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Rodriguez, Lucas, Gerrard, Meireles, Kuyt, Suarez.

Going for a 2-1 win to Chelsea, with, of course, Torres to score the winning goal 6 mins into stoppage time..!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'll be happy with a boring uneventful 0-0!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Read somewhere that Anelka will make way for Torres.

Hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Cech
    Bosingwa
    Ivanovic
    Terry
    Cole
    Essien
    Ramires
    Lampard
    Anelka
    Malouda
    Drogba

Subs - Turnbull, Bruma, Luiz, Mikel, Kalou, Torres, Mceachran.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'll also be happy with an away win - Torres to get a good kicking in the first half and pull his hamstring in the second and JT to get sent off for mouthing off to the ref..... yeah....I'll be very happy with that!!

5-5

Torres to tear his hamstring while sneezing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Former fan favourite to haunt his former club with a great game and a goal in his first real performance...

C'mon Joe Cole!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Cant see Liverpool winning at Stamford Bridge. Would happily take a draw. Should be a cracking match!
    Former fan favourite to haunt his former club with a great game and a goal in his first real performance...

C'mon Joe Cole!
    Injured ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I suspect Torres is going to get a clattering.

2-1 to the Pool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

10-0 to Chelsea with Torres scoring 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ah be realistic, its going to be at 10-0 and Torres to get 9 :D :cool:

Chelsea vixtory 3 - 1 with Drogba to have a stormer.

Come on Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I know the games an exciting one and all, but shure tis only Friday yet!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Deserves a repost in the match thread!

suarezwerewolf.jpg

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Looking forward to this game.

As a Man United fan i am finding it hard to go with any team so for our benefit i hope a score draw,lampard,torres,malouda getting long term injuries!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Good to see People being realistic

amiable wrote: »
    Good to see People being realistic

Yeah, everyone knows the hot tip is 8-2 to Liverpool with Suarez scoring all eight of our goals and even scoring two own goals for Chelsea coz he is a charitable guy. Odds slashed on that outcome this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

opr wrote: »
    Deserves a repost in the match thread!

Opr

Well then so does this!
    He’s now a blue he was a red – Torres! Torres!
    He’s left The Kop to join The Shed – Torres! Torres!
    He didn’t want to be be a scouse,
    He hates it when they rob your house
    Fernando Torres – Chelsea’s new number nine!
    They thought he’d always be a red – Torres! Torres!
    You’ll never walk alone he said – Torres! Torres!
    They bought the lad from sunny Spain,
    He scored a few then grew a brain
    He told the club he wants to leave,
    To play with Frank instead of Steve

Well then so does this!
    He’s now a blue he was a red – Torres! Torres!
    He’s left The Kop to join The Shed – Torres! Torres!
    He didn’t want to be be a scouse,
    He hates it when they rob your house

They thought he’d always be a red – Torres! Torres!
    You’ll never walk alone he said – Torres! Torres!
    They bought the lad from sunny Spain,
    He scored a few then grew a brain
    He told the club he wants to leave,
    To play with Frank instead of Steve

You left out the bit were they write a song and concept album that a highly respected (:rolleyes:) boards member takes his user name from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just to keep a stereotype going, I going to break into Sgt Pepper's house if he goes out to watch the game. :D

As for the game. 2-2

"Also I wanted to join because Chelsea always have shown a big respect for me. They really want me and it is important when you have the support of the people in the club, and the support of the fans who always showed respect to me when I came to Stamford Bridge"

http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/x2_45a9c8c.jpg

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

babyfarm.ie?:eek:

2-0

Kalou and Malouda in the second half (15' and 75') if they're available. Ivanovic and Drogba if not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Any news on the Sky team this weekend. Im going for Shepard up front with Jamie Red and Bolo Zenden, Alan Smith for co-commentator.

Pauleta wrote: »
    Any news on the Sky team this weekend. Im going for Shepard up front with Jamie Red and Bolo Zenden, Alan Smith for co-commentator.

Gary Neville is rumoured to be in line also as his unbiased views on both teams will give a balanced feel to the studio!

dahat wrote: »
    Gary Neville is rumoured to be in line also as his unbiased views on both teams will give a balanced feel to the studio!

I heard Neville hasn't actually spoken in years, its his tash that speaks, its got a mouth of its own.
    moustache-fart-family-guy-808635_1024_768.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

rarnes1 wrote: »

They're reaching out to try grab him, durrrrr :rolleyes: as they want him so much....

Re size that pic!!!

dahat wrote: »
    Re size that pic!!!

Dunno how to!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

3-3 would do nicely with a Torres hat trick thrown in:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Whats the odds on a 1 nil victory for Liverpool with Torres scoring an O.G :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Early Red Card for Carragher (if selected) or failing that Skertl or Lucas. Cannot wait for this. 3-0 for me. Though i could not resist 5-0 at 66/1 on Paddy Power! Torres amongst the goals - even if from the bench!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Dream scenario would be a 3-3 draw. With 3 Terry own goals and an injury time hat-trick by Torres (all offside).

I'll settle for a feisty 0-0 though.

Early Red Card for Carragher (if selected) or failing that Skertl or Lucas. Cannot wait for this. 3-0 for me. Though i could not resist 5-0 at 66/1 on Paddy Power! Torres amongst the goals - even if from the bench!!

Can't beat a bit of confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Whats the odds on a 1 nil victory for Liverpool with Torres scoring an O.G :D:D:D
    Or 1-0 to Chelsea, Torres scores a Peno from a Suarez handball :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Should be entertaining stuff. What reception is Torres likely to get from the away fans? Decent, mixed or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

0-0 or 1-0 Chelsea....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Mixed I'd say. Will be fairly shocking from some sections no doubt.

Should be entertaining stuff. What reception is Torres likely to get from the away fans? Decent, mixed or bad?

I'd say mixed, hopefully he'll get a decent reception...

Soby wrote: »
    Or 1-0 to Chelsea, Torres scores a Peno from a Suarez handball :D:D:D

lol at your sig - Torres is putting off wearing that jersey for as long as possible:D
    You might update it after sunday;)

• Advertisement

I'll be amazed if Chelsea win by 3 TBH.....If Liverpool get beaten 5-0 i'll eat my hat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'll be amazed if Chelsea win by 3 TBH.....If Liverpool get beaten 5-0 i'll eat my hat....

What kinda hat we talkin' about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can't beat a bit of confidence
    I show no signs so far of making a living from the bookies!! - This could launch me!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think Liverpool will win, tbh. Just have a feeling.

baz2009 wrote: »
    What kinda hat we talkin' about here?

:P hopefully not humble pie hat!!

Always going to be a tough game. A continuation of the 2nd half of the Sunderland match would be a great start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Reckon Carlo will play safe and put Torres on the bench.
    That way Chelsea can line up as normal and hopefully be leading by the time he has to bring him on.
    Too much at stake to gamble on disrupting the way we play, when they've not had long to train together.

Pool have obviously benefited from ex Chelsea Legend Steve Clarkes defensive prowness

But, Chelsea are at home and have a bit of the old swagger back. I'm going for 2-0 and Torres NOT to score.

Oh and Carragher will be on the bench as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I get the impression a few of the Chelsea fans are underestimating Liverpools chances on Sunday.
    I really hope some of the Chelsea players are doing the same.
    I heard on Five Live the Chelsea players were declaring that they are back after their new additions this week.
    A bit sad IMO and shows something was rotten in the Chelsea camp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

baz2009 wrote: »
    I think Liverpool will win, tbh. Just have a feeling.
    +1.

amiable wrote: »
    I get the impression a few of the Chelsea fans are underestimating Liverpools chances on Sunday.
    I really hope some of the Chelsea players are doing the same.
    I heard on Five Live the Chelsea players were declaring that they are back after their new additions this week.
    A bit sad IMO and shows something was rotten in the Chelsea camp

Why does declaring they are back in the title race, after securing 2 world class players a bit sad? Not to mention having played well in the last few game, Everton excluded, after scoring 10 goals in the league and only conceding 3, 8 of those away from home. And how can you tell something rotten was going on from that statement??

• Advertisement
Advertisement