Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Liverpool Sunday 6th February 16:00

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Today's Chelsea formation was a very strange one. Torres, Anelka and Drogba aren't going to be able to play together as a trio and Torres and Drogba won't work as a partnership. They both need to be the figurehead for the attack with a support attacker playing behind them.

There's more than a whiff of Shevchenko about this move, wonder who it was that actually decided Chelsea needed him? Ancelotti or Abramovich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Say what you want about £50 million for Torres, £35 million for Carroll, £20 odd million for Suarez...biggest signing of the transfer window was Dalglish to Liverpool

I believe steve Clarke is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Soby wrote: »
    Absoultely shocking performace going forward.The 0 shots on target show that.And towards the end heaping balls in miles in the air arent gonna get ya goals Chelsea.Seems our crisis isnt over yet.League is gone anyway.Just gotta try get our form sorted for the champions league.

Deserved win Pool anyway.Not a great performance either but miles better than ourselves
    Liverpool didn't let you play IMO.
    Great performance away to the champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Thanks to all at LFC from all at Tottenham Hotspurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Raul Mereles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Thought the music sky used going to the ad break with shots of Torres was very apt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Raul Mereles :)
    For a man who doesn't score many goals hes on some run alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why was I dreading todays game? Liverpool are a treat to watch under Kenny, Hodgson days long gone!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Excellent team performance by the Pool...Kenny has them going the right way, will he have eyes for 4th place now. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

10-0 to Chelsea with Torres scoring 7
    Very close to getting it right:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Clarke and Kenny to share the award of best transfer window signing!
    Clarke has them playing some nice passing football again(maybe need to hoof it a little more when pinned down at the back instead of always trying to play your way out of defense), and Kenny has given them confidence in themselves that was all but destroyed under Roy.

Cant wait for the next Liverpool game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rossie1977 wrote: »
    imagine where liverpool would be today had kenny got the job in the summer instead of last month

sure it was the players, those england, brazilian internationals and starting world cup finalists were not good enough, clueless hodgson

Yea they have more away points now under Kenny than they had in 10 games under Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lucas did two things wrong in ninety minutes. Apart from that he was superb. Three centre backs were very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Big credit to Steve Clarke too, he's made such a difference with our defence. Thats the most solid we've looked at the back against Chelsea for a long time. Not one real clear cut chance for Chelsea, better finishes from maxi and aurelio and we could have had 3 in terms of great chances.

Clarke really was the best man Kenny could have added to the back room staff.

On Suarez, leaving him out was the right decision IMO. Chelsea away is a game for organisation and for that you need communication and understanding, and Suarez has only been there 5 minutes, doesn't speak much English and has only had 1 or 2 training sessions. Another week or 2 working with the other lads and he'll be starting every game, but it was just a bit too soon for him in a game where there is no scope for a free role player, everybody had defensive and formation-related responsibilities along with eir natural ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Torres has been poor all season, couldn't believe we got £50m for him. He was a great player for us and I do hope he does well.

Todays team selection and this result really does show up how bad Hodgson was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Totally agree - What does the man do to the defenders? Threaten them with death on the concession of a goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is Luis off to Uruguay midweek? Hope not

BERBA wrote: »
    6 points off 5th with a game more played:p

We are coming after you Spurs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I haven't felt this happy in a long long time.:):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lucas was superb, particularly breaking forward with the ball from deep. Johnson was very good on the left, and combined well with Gerrard in and around the box.

Something else that stood out for me: in the last few minutes, Aurelio had ample opportunity to run the ball into the Chelsea corner flag, but never did. Constantly tried to pick out Kuyt or Gerrard to continue the attack. Great to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Torres got no supply of the ball. Chelsea were at 6's and 7' s for most of the match.

The best side won and I couldn't be more delighted. Couldn't have happened at a better time.

Torres has been poor all season, couldn't believe we got £50m for him. He was a great player for us and I do hope he does well.

I tried to point that out before he left and got a lot of stick here
    Far too many Torres worshipers out there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Good to have Carra back despite he's tendancy to hoof balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yakult wrote: »

Thought his distribution was very good from the back today, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Pathetic performance from my boys today, with the exception of Terry and Anelka, and maybe even Boswingwa - and a encouraging performance from Luiz. Humble pie from Chelsea fan - we were not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Kenny oozes confidence, respect and class. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Some strange posts on this thread since the game ended. It's not like Liverpool FC fans to be getting carried away. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Great win.....good team performance and another clean sheet. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Yakult wrote: »

Agreed, we can handle one hoofer when he defends like that. Thank god the rest of them aren't at it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Some strange posts on this thread since the game ended. It's not like Liverpool FC fans to be getting carried away. :rolleyes:

Liverpool won today, didn't they? 0-1? Yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Must pay tribute to Dalglish today, very bold tactics. When I first saw the formation I was like :eek:, but then I copped on to the fact that Chelsea have a severe lack of wingers. Fair play to Liverpool as well, if Spurs do miss out on 4th, I hope its Liverpool that beats us to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Jaysus, up to 6th!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

Chelsea in top form are title contenders, liverpool in top form are top 4 contenders. Kenny has made all the liverpool supporters delusional and tomorrow should be the wake up call.

Took me awhile to find but I found it.

It was a wake up call alright but not for LFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

a fighting performance today, really proud of the lads. Over the moon for King Kenny tonight, any talk of him not being up to the demands of the modern game have been blown away by his tactical nous today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

THFC wrote: »
    Must pay tribute to Dalglish today, very bold tactics. When I first saw the formation I was like :eek:, but then I copped on to the fact that Chelsea have a severe lack of wingers. Fair play to Liverpool as well, if Spurs do miss out on 4th, I hope its Liverpool that beats us to it.

There was an incredible stat today - Chelsea had 19 shots and only 1 on target!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I thought Luiz looked very good when he came on, will be looking forward to watching more of him in the future.

As a Spurs fan, not sure about this result - Would have much preferred a draw. Although it is great from the perspective of chasing 4th place with Chelsea dropping points, we need to be wary of Liverpool now and try not to end up back in 6th ourselves by the end of the season!

I'm almost sure this is the kick-start Liverpool needed to get back in the Champions League running, and Chelsea are definitely capable of bouncing back quickly. Worrying times ahead for Spurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thanks to all at LFC from all at Tottenham Hotspurs

Don't get carried away... you lot are in our sights.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I don't have any complaints. (No doubt the monkey will be in later to make up for me).

Chelsea - We were poor, but I think people will go overboard criticizing us, that includes our own fans. We came up against a Liverpool side who were more up for a game than any league side I can remember in recent years. Anybody would have struggled to score against them today. The league is over for us barring an absolute miracle. Torres will come in for some stick after today's performance but the fact of the matter is, he is and always has been a striker who thrives on quality service, today we could not provide that and he suffered for it, it was out of his control.

Liverpool - Hats off, magnificent performance. Players throwing themselves into tackles for 90 mins and the entire team never let the level of intensity drop. Dalglish has proved his worth over the past few weeks and has silenced each and every one of his critics (if he hasn't, they're idiots). Liverpool could never have given a performance like this under Hodgson, he would have sent out a team who were beaten before a ball was kicked. Well done Kenny and Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Kess73 wrote: »
    Skrtel.

Any game he has played in this season he has looked suspect.
    Just seen this now. Not saying he's been a rock all season just in the last few games as today proved. He is a top player and Kenny and Steve Clarke have improved his concentration no end.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Don't get carried away... you lot are in our sights.

no chance 6 points clear of pool , plus game in hand away to blackpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Essien wrote: »
    Liverpool could never have given a performance like this under Hodgson, he would have sent out a team who were beaten before a ball was kicked. Well done Kenny and Liverpool.

Didn't Hodgson's Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-0?

rarnes1 wrote: »

Personally I'm having a small dabble at Meireles first scorer @ 17/1. A man in form :)

Fúck yeah !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Picture on the BBC website.

_51124631_torres2_466x260getty.jpg

Didn't Hodgson's Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-0?

yeah and didnt torres get both goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't have any complaints. (No doubt the monkey will be in later to make up for me).

Chelsea - We were poor, but I think people will go overboard criticizing us, that includes our own fans. We came up against a Liverpool side who were more up for a game than any league side I can remember in recent years. Anybody would have struggled to score against them today. The league is over for us barring an absolute miracle. Torres will come in for some stick after today's performance but the fact of the matter is, he is and always has been a striker who thrives on quality service, today we could not provide that and he suffered for it, it was out of his control.

Liverpool - Hats off, magnificent performance. Players throwing themselves into tackles for 90 mins and the entire team never let the level of intensity drop. Dalglish has proved his worth over the past few weeks and has silenced each and every one of his critics (if he hasn't, they're idiots). Liverpool could never have given a performance like this under Hodgson, he would have sent out a team who were beaten before a ball was kicked. Well done Kenny and Liverpool.

A very gracious post, kudos sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hats off to Liverpool. Here's hoping you keep this up vs Arsenal and Man City, and then collapse against United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep I agree with that and said as much in the Chelsea superthread just after the game ended. Chelsea are nowhere near as bad as some of the comments made this evening would have people believe, and I think before the season is out quite a few people will be eating their words in terms of what they have said about Chelsea and Torres.

Great result but not that unexpected. We are a different force under Kenny, God knows where we would be if he'd got the job when he should have at the start of the season. Very excited about Carroll coming into this team along with Suarez. I posted a few weeks back after Kenny got the job that top 4 should'nt be beyond us. It certainly will be hard but not impossible by any stretch. Onward and upward.

no chance 6 points clear of pool , plus game in hand away to blackpool
    No chance what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fúck yeah !! :D

tyvm. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement