Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Liverpool Sunday 6th February 16:00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Mister men wrote: »
    No chance what

of catching spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Didn't Hodgson's Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-0?

Here's a cool post from you not too long ago:
    Hodgson is obviously going to be made the scapegoat and will no doubt be shown the door but the brutal reality is that Liverpool have found their level. Their squad is nowhere near as good as Man United's, Arsenal's, Man City's, Chelsea's or Spurs'. That is abundantly clear.

Found our level huh? Jog on son. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Liverpools next two games are Wigan and West Ham (H-A), 6 on the spin is not beyond the realms. That would definitely at the very least put some pressure on those above us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

BERBA wrote: »
    of catching spurs

Well Spurs never get anything at Anfield so it could well be 6 points effectively behind with the same number of games played. And we are playing well again, with two good strikers still to come into the side. Spurs on the other hand are stuttering.

So there is some chance of catching them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Jog on? The league table suggests I'm right.

For someone who supposedly dislikes 'haters hating' and the negativity on the forum you have some hang up over your club's former manager, 'son'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Nice.

Well Spurs never get anything at Anfield so it could well be 6 points effectively behind with the same number of games played. And we are playing well again, with two good strikers still to come into the side. Spurs on the other hand are stuttering.

So there is some chance of catching them

cant argue with above , but games are running out quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In fairness to MNG theres not much of that post thats wrong. 6th probably is that squad's level and where I think ye'll finish. And the squad is inferior to all the ones he listed.

Liverpools next two games are Wigan and West Ham (H-A), 6 on the spin is not beyond the realms. That would definitely at the very least put some pressure on those above us.

Sussshhhh
    1 game at a time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Didn't Hodgson's Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-0?

We were proper shit back then though. That day Liverpool beat us because we were muck (even Sunderland and Birmingham beat us ffs). We've been playing well recently and came up against an immovable object today, everyone expected us to win and we didn't because Liverpool gave 100% for 90 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Wow how wrong was I. Chelsea couldn't move Liverpool today. That should be a good push towards 5th or 6th for the squad.

flahavaj wrote: »
    In fairness to MNG theres not much of that post thats wrong. 6th probably is that squad's level and where I think ye'll finish. And the squad is inferior to all the ones he listed.

That post was written when after we had lost to Blackburn and were languishing above the relegation zone. To suggest we had "found our level" at that point is pretty funny tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Le King wrote: »
    Wow how wrong was I. Chelsea couldn't move Liverpool today. That should be a good push towards 5th or 6th for the squad.

Yeah how wrong you were, what was it you said, 3-0 to Chelski?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

Mister men wrote: »
    Just seen this now. Not saying he's been a rock all season just in the last few games as today proved. He is a top player and Kenny and Steve Clarke have improved his concentration no end.

I taught he gave a few stupid passes out of defence again today, putting unneccessary pressure on players out the field when the best option was to hoof it clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

It was the formation that won the game for pool today. Imagine if chelsea played 5 at the back, nobody would score against that. Chelsea shot themselves in the foot with diabolical defending and were unlucky not to get a peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

no chance 6 points clear of pool , plus game in hand away to blackpool

We play the same number of games this month so as far as LFC are concerned, your game at hand over us is the arsenal home game, that's when we'll be on equal games played.

Also Spurs next 3 games are Sunderland away, AC Milan away and Blackpool away, all in 10 days. Tough fixtures. I think come the first of march, pool will be closer still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

MUSEIST wrote: »
    It was the formation that won the game for pool today. Imagine if chelsea played 5 at the back, nobody would score against that. Chelsea shot themselves in the foot with diabolical defending and were unlucky not to get a peno.

In fairness, every team would play 5 at the back if it was that easy. Just cause you play 5 at back doesn't mean you get a clean sheet. Look at Sunderland yesterday with 3 decent centre backs.

That post was written when after we had lost to Blackburn and were languishing above the relegation zone. To suggest we had "found our level" at that point is pretty funny tbh.

It was written after the defeat to Blackburn wasn't it. Here's one you neglected to show also from that thread:
    Torres had a dreadful World Cup and has fared little better in the league. If you see them as a 5th to 7th place team then you are agreeing with me. They are at Blackburn-level currently imo. Look at the rest of the dross. You can't expect Gerrard to save them all the time. As I said they have found their level.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69900009&postcount=365

That is exactly where they are funnily enough - between fifth and seventh.

Edit: Oh and I just found the full quote that luckylloyd edited to make me look bad:
    Hodgson is obviously going to be made the scapegoat and will no doubt be shown the door but the brutal reality is that Liverpool have found their level. Their squad is nowhere near as good as Man United's, Arsenal's, Man City's, Chelsea's or Spurs'. That is abundantly clear. They can still realistically finish sixth in the table and that is as good as it's going to get I'm afraid.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69899817&postcount=361

Notice how he left out the last line? Even by lloyd's thanks whoring standards that's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

thekid9 wrote: »
    Took me awhile to find but I found it.

It was a wake up call alright but not for LFC.

You're obviously right. Now that ye have 4th place as good as sown up its time to push on for the title:rolleyes: Liverpool did well to beat chelsea today, but a little grasp on reality is needed. Chelsea were below par(again) Liverpool even with the 2 new strikers still need to add a couple of players to be title contenders(which chelsea have consistently been for the last few years). Can all the players keep up their recent performances over a full season?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

DH2K9 wrote: »
    In fairness, every team would play 5 at the back if it was that easy. Just cause you play 5 at back doesn't mean you get a clean sheet. Look at Sunderland yesterday with 3 decent centre backs.

I know but i meant in the game today. If both matched formations then nothing would have happen in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the quality of the squads of the top teams in england is vastly overrated imo, chelsea had the likes of Turnbull, McEachran and Sala on the bench today, even man utd who are far and away the best team this year and will win the league at a canter have some very average squad players like gibson, o'shea, evans, brown etc

liverpool had more players at the world cup than any other premier league team so the quality of their squad is vastly underrated imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It was written after the defeat to Blackburn wasn't it. Here's one you neglected to show also from that thread:

That is exactly where they are funnily enough - between fifth and seventh.

After our worst start to a season in over 50 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

qys2sh.jpg

DH2K9 wrote: »

True, it's still the same dodgy players we were giving out about under Hodgson. It seems to suit them and in particular, makes Johnson less of a liability. We also don't have any decent DM's so I can see why he uses it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the quality of the squads of the top teams in england is vastly overrated imo, chelsea had the likes of Turnbull, McEachran and Sala on the bench today, even man utd who are far and away the best team this year and will win the league at a canter have some very average squad players like gibson, o'shea, evans, brown etc

liverpool had more players at the world cup than any other premier league team so the quality of their squad is vastly underrated imo

The likes of O' Shea and Brown are the kind of guys that win you championships, steady, versatile pros who are happy to play a bit part and do a solid job whe required.

The Liverpool squad players are a huge weakness IMO. The first 11 itself has weaknesses in a good few places, but when you go outside that it gets really bad.

• Advertisement

The likes of O' Shea and Brown are the kind of guys that win you championships, steady, versatile pros who are happy to play a bit part and do a solid job whe required.

The Liverpool squad players are a huge weakness IMO. The first 11 itself has weaknesses in a good few places, but when you go outside that it gets really bad.

If you go outside our starting 11 today, the bench at any one time may contain Aurelio, Carroll, Suarez, Krygiakos, Cole, Jovanovic, and Jones. All international players. Doesn't look as bad as some might suggest. Get confidence going in the team and it looks much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

hot.gif

Don't see what funny about an elbow to the face tbh.

blah, blah

I wouldn't have even remembered your post if you hadn't included 'found their level'. That was your money line - your little dig. And it has been shown up for what it is.

We have climbed the table off the back of a complete transformation in performances. To point at the table and claim you're right is stupid. We've been hamstrung for most of the season thus far with a completely incompetent fool at the helm.

Now that we have a good manager who gets what our club is about, we've beginning to show what this squad is capable of. As such, our level is likely not what you claim it to be.

Anyway, you may now have the last word - I'm done with you.

If you go outside our starting 11 today, the bench at any one time may contain Aurelio, Carroll, Suarez, Krygiakos, Cole, Jovanovic, and Jones. All international players. Doesn't look as bad as some might suggest. Get confidence going in the team and it looks much better.

Carroll and Suarez will start, then you have maxi and Kuyt o the bench.

Maxi, Kuyt, Aurelio, Kyrgiakos, Jones, Jovanovic as a bench looks pretty bloody mediocre tbh. Being an international is no great boast, Kevin Kilbane is an international.

Using the fact that Liverpool had lots of guys at the world cup is no argument really as to their squad's strength.

Compare to United's bench if the first team plays;

Lindegaard, O' Shea, Evans, Giggs, Scholes, Hernandez, Anderson - still got the likes of Fabio, Smalling, Brown, Park, Owen and Macheda and Welbeck out on loan. And theres plenty of others who can do a job too.

No contest really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Lukker- wrote: »

haha, really? On Torres? Really?

• Advertisement

Maxi, Kuyt, Aurelio, Kyrgiakos, Jones, Jovanovic as a bench looks pretty bloody mediocre tbh. Being an international is no great boast, Kevin Kilbane is an international.

Using the fact that Liverpool had lots of guys at the world cup is no argument really as to their squad's strength.

Lindegaard, O' Shea, Evans, Giggs, Scholes, Hernandez, Anderson - still got the likes of Fabio, Smalling, Brown, Park, Owen and Macheda and Welbeck out on loan. And theres plenty of others who can do a job too.

No contest really.

United have a much stronger and more talented squad than Liverpool. No argument there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Lukker- wrote: »

I can. He ran into the elbow.

I wouldn't have even remembered your post if you hadn't included 'found their level'. That was your money line - your little dig. And it has been shown up for what it is.

We have climbed the table off the back of a complete transformation in performances. To point at the table and claim you're right is stupid. We've been hamstrung for most of the season thus far with a completely incompetent fool at the helm.

Now that we have a good manager who gets what our club is about, we've beginning to show what this squad is capable of. As such, our level is likely not what you claim it to be.

The 2-0 result over Chelsea shows you how stupid the argument is.
    It's the only result of note he could pick.

Blackburn 3 Liverpool 1
    Liverpool 0 Wolves 1
    Newcastle 3 Liverpool 1
    Stoke 2 Liverpool 0
    Everton 2 Liverpool 0
    Liverpool 1 Blackpool 2
    Liverpool 2 Northampton 2 (my personal favourite)
    Man City 3 Liverpool 0

OK here's my last word - don't edit my posts and try to take the moral high ground.

You deliberately left out where I said: 'They can still realistically finish sixth in the table and that is as good as it's going to get I'm afraid' because YOU wanted to get your 'little dig' in - at me - and of course take in the thanks that you crave.

Now you have been found out and rather acknowledge that you try and justify altering people's words. Pretty pathetic stuff.

We will see where Liverpool finish and if they can get above sixth. If they can't then their level is exactly where I said they would be. Kind regards etc...

K-9 wrote: »
    The 2-0 result over Chelsea shows you how stupid the argument is.
    It's the only result of note he could pick.

Blackburn 3 Liverpool 1
    Liverpool 0 Wolves 1
    Newcastle 3 Liverpool 1
    Stoke 2 Liverpool 0
    Everton 2 Liverpool 0
    Liverpool 1 Blackpool 2
    Liverpool 2 Northampton 2 (my personal favourite)
    Man City 3 Liverpool 0

you forgot Blackpool 2 Liverpool 1 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Torres did run into the area of aggers elbow alright - plus made a bit of a meal going down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I was expecting it to be a handy win for Chelsea after 15 minutes but in fairness to Liverpool they really started to get stuck in and got on top. Their formation worked a dream, Chelsea didn't have a clue what to do in the final third. Torres was muck. Liverpool took the pressure in the second half well and just got lucky that Cech made a complete bags of the cross. Neither side really dominated, imo. But for their good defensive display Liverpool just about shaded it for me.

OK here's my last word - don't edit my posts and try to take the moral high ground.

You deliberately left out where I said: 'They can still realistically finish sixth in the table and that is as good as it's going to get I'm afraid' because YOU wanted to get your 'little dig' in - at me - and of course take in the thanks that you crave.

Now you have been found out and rather acknowledge that you try and justify altering people's words. Pretty pathetic stuff.

We will see where Liverpool finish and if they can get above sixth. If they can't then their level is exactly where I said they would be. Kind regards etc...

How do you not get it?

If they finish 6th it will be because of Hodgson holding them back.

If we had Dalglish one thing is for sure, the gap would have been closer, if he'd have been here from the start. He's getting the best out of them, Hodgson was getting the worst.

No contest really.

Did I say it was better than Uniteds? Just not as poor as some would suggest.

As an aside, Park, Owen, Macheda, Anderson, Wellbeck? Your having a laugh.

you forgot Blackpool 2 Liverpool 1 :p

:D

I did leave out a couple of defeats were we played reasonably well too or the result wasn't too bad. Spurs and United defeat in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

It hurts, but I have to say "Well done" to the Pool

You beat us fair and square.

I think Carlo got it wrong starting with Torres, its obviously going to take time to bed in a new system to fit him in.
    He should played the same team he did away to Sunderland and bought Torres on late.

I just hope you do the same to Man U when you play them next.:D

Until next season then.........

:D

I did leave out a couple of defeats were we played reasonably well too or the result wasn't too bad. Spurs and United defeat in the league.

fair enough but those defeats were against TOP 4 clubs;)

How do you not get it?

If they finish 6th it will be because of Hodgson holding them back.

If we had Dalglish one thing is for sure, the gap would have been closer, if he'd have been here from the start. He's getting the best out of them, Hodgson was getting the worst.

No they will finish where they deserve to finish based on the performances - or lack thereof - by the players. Many of them couldn't be bothered to do their best when Hodgson was there and as Barnes at the time said, where is the incentive to perform when the manager always takes the flak?

Don't expect me to endorse the 'sack the manager' mentality that is so prevalent in the modern game and which has seen another manager lose his job today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I think Carlo got it wrong starting with Torres, its obviously going to take time to bed in a new system to fit him in.

I think this was a huge factor in the game today,i personally think Torres and Drogba together wont work.
    Has Carlo the nerve to drop either one to play his favoured system?

Also Pool done what they had to to win the match,think kenny used his players abilites and lack of to the max to get a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

He should played the same team he did away to Sunderland and bought Torres on late.

I think Carlo was hoping he'd hit the ground running like he did against Chelsea for his first game for Liverpool, wouldn't really blame him for starting him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

come on now flah, kilbane didn't play a major role in getting the dutch to the world cup final just a few months ago or score in a european cup final, comparing kuyt and kilbane :D kuyt worried chelseas back line today more than drogba, anelka and torres together worried liverpools

No contest really.

nobody said liverpool had a better squad than utd but if was giggs i would be pretty pissed off you think he would be on the bench as soon as valencia comes back, he has been superb this season

No they will finish where they deserve to finish based on the performances - or lack thereof - by the players. Many of them couldn't be bothered to do their best when Hodgson was there and as Barnes at the time said, where is the incentive to perform when the manager always takes the flak?

Don't expect me to endorse the 'sack the manager' mentality that is so prevalent in the modern game and which has seen another manager lose his job today.

Football management is not what it was 20 years ago. Managers have a short window to produce results. That may be tough but the days of a "Ferguson" or a "Wenger" are gone. Too much money invested to accept mediocrity in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

dahat wrote: »
    I think this was a huge factor in the game today,i personally think Torres and Drogba together wont work.
    Has Carlo the nerve to drop either one to play his favoured system?

Also Pool done what they had to to win the match,think kenny used his players abilites and lack of to the max to get a result

I know King Kenny will get all the credit, but I really think that Stevie Clarke coaching your defence should get some as well.
    Whats that, 4 clean sheets since he arrived?
    Never mind Ray Wilkins, he was the one we never should have let go.

But yep, you did well, much the better team, we looked flat for some reason.

fair enough but those defeats were against TOP 4 clubs;)

Hence me leaving them out. ;)

Amazing, just amazing. I can only assume you just don't want to get it. Hodgson had a tough enough ask, I'll give him that, but he made it worse. The players lost confidence in him because of his conservative tactics. They just didn't work ensuring poor results and less confidence and the vicious circle continues until they want him gone. Some of the player are limited but Dalglish focuses on their positive aspects, not their negatives.

As for the sack the manager, Hodgson might well do a decent job there. He excels at getting the best out of a limited squad, something which, going by your comments and of others, he didn't do at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

eagle eye wrote: »
    Picture on the BBC website.

_51124631_torres2_466x260getty.jpg

Whos he ?

Advertisement