Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Liverpool Sunday 6th February 16:00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Greatest thing about this win? The look on Torres' face after Meireles' goal. Oh yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Greatest thing about this win? The look on Torres' face after Meireles' goal. Oh yeah.

He's at the level he deserves to be playing at - isn't that what he said?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

No they will finish where they deserve to finish based on the performances - or lack thereof - by the players. Many of them couldn't be bothered to do their best when Hodgson was there and as Barnes at the time said, where is the incentive to perform when the manager always takes the flak?

again then why change any manager, managers play a huge role in team affairs, look at blackburn 1995-96 season after kenny left and harford took they job, they were awful, the same players that won the league a few months earlier couldn't win a game first 4 months of season, look at the same chelsea team and players under scolari and then under Guus Hiddink

hodgson was completely and utterly out of his depth, his tactics were awful, playing paul konchesky nearly every game was unforgiveable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

K-9 wrote: »

Amazing, just amazing. I can only assume you just don't want to get it. Hodgson had a tough enough ask, I'll give him that, but he made it worse. The players lost confidence in him because of his conservative tactics. They just didn't work ensuring poor results and less confidence and the vicious circle continues until they want him gone. Some of the player are limited but Dalglish focuses on their positive aspects, not their negatives.

As for the sack the manager, Hodgson might well do a decent job there. He excels at getting the best out of a limited squad, something which, going by your comments and of others, he didn't do at Liverpool.

I don't know what you find so amazing about believing that the man should have been given more time. This is a view shared by some of the greatest managers in the game such as Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson, as well as many of LFC's club legends.

I see your point of view - I just don't agree with it. It's very noticeable how many footballers will lift their game when a new manager comes in and this feeds into this managerial merry-go-round that is everywhere in the game today. In my view the performances of the Liverpool players when hodgson was there were unacceptably poor but rather than direct their ire at the players, many fans directed it at Hodgson and it was always going to do downhill from there.
    rossie1977 wrote:
    again then why change any manager, managers play a huge role in team affairs, look at blackburn 1995-96 season after kenny left and harford took they job, they were awful, the same players that won the league a few months earlier couldn't win a game first 4 months of season, look at the same chelsea team and players under scolari and then under Guus Hiddink

hodgson was completely and utterly out of his depth, his tactics were awful, playing paul konchesky nearly every game was unforgiveable

He wasn't given much time. Chelsea are a good example because Ancelotti is under pressure and he won the league last season. So has he become a bad manager in a year, or is it the players that are at fault? If a new manager comes in and they play well would you say Ancelotti was therefore the problem - or is it that the lazy players have only now picked up their game?

I agree many of Hodgson's players were poor and his results disappointing but the season had plenty of life left in it. Imo he could have gotten Liverpool to sixth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Lukker- wrote: »
    Don't see what funny about an elbow to the face tbh.
    Elbow?
    You need to go to Specsavers mate or else brush up on your anatomy

• Advertisement

*****Newsflash*****

Jamie Carragher has been remanded in custody by Londons Metroplotiton Police pending a bail hearing. CCTV appears to show the Liverpool vice captain walking around with 50 million pounds worth of Roman Abramaviches property in his pocket for over an hour

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think Carlo got it wrong starting with Torres, its obviously going to take time to bed in a new system to fit him in.
    He should played the same team he did away to Sunderland and bought Torres on late.

Torres was an Abramovich buy from start to finish. That's what I took from any comments I saw Ancelloti say about it. I'm sure Carlo felt under a lot of pressure to start Torres, either overt or covert I don't know.

I know King Kenny will get all the credit, but I really think that Stevie Clarke coaching your defence should get some as well.
    Whats that, 4 clean sheets since he arrived?
    Never mind Ray Wilkins, he was the one we never should have let go.

But yep, you did well, much the better team, we looked flat for some reason.
    Reckon Carlo will play safe and put Torres on the bench.
    That way Chelsea can line up as normal and hopefully be leading by the time he has to bring him on.
    Too much at stake to gamble on disrupting the way we play, when they've not had long to train together.

Pool have obviously benefited from ex Chelsea Legend Steve Clarkes defensive prowness

But, Chelsea are at home and have a bit of the old swagger back. I'm going for 2-0 and Torres NOT to score.

Oh and Carragher will be on the bench as well
    To be fair to you've been consistent and bang on here IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ah come on Torres has played one game. writing him off is foolish. Will be a great signing for us

Ah come on Torres has played one game. writing him off is foolish. Will be a great signing for us
    Totally agree. Its silly IMHO to write him off. People were writing him off before the Chelsea game at Anfield earlier this season(not a dig btw) and he scored 2 excellent goals.
    Torres will score goals at Chelsea.
    I think it was just all a bit much for him today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

amiable wrote: »
    To be fair to you've been consistent and bang on here IMO.

Aha, the curse of the "previous" post come back to haunt me! :eek:

I expect its got quite a few other people too!

If only Carragher had stayed on the bench eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

rossie1977 wrote: »
    come on now flah, kilbane didn't play a major role in getting the dutch to the world cup final just a few months ago or score in a european cup final, comparing kuyt and kilbane :D kuyt worried chelseas back line today more than drogba, anelka and torres together worried liverpools

nobody said liverpool had a better squad than utd but if was giggs i would be pretty pissed off you think he would be on the bench as soon as valencia comes back, he has been superb this season

I was responding to the point that the top teams' squads are overrrated. I was going to list Chelsea's and Arsenals but I hadn't the stamina tbh.

I'd probably put Utd's best pair of wingers as Nani left and Antonio right, given Giggs' inabliity to play twice a week at his age. Certainly lookin to the future thats the way it'll be. Either way, it shows that the squad is strong, a bench with Valencia on it still, looks good.

I'm not trying to score points or anything, I have no real need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Did I say it was better than Uniteds? Just not as poor as some would suggest.

As an aside, Park, Owen, Macheda, Anderson, Wellbeck? Your having a laugh.

In what sense? All quality players, and tremendous to have in your squad, especially when you think they wouldn't even make the bench.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't know what you find so amazing about believing that the man should have been given more time. This is a view shared by some of the greatest managers in the game such as Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson, as well as many of LFC's club legends.

I see your point of view - I just don't agree with it. It's very noticeable how many footballers will lift their game when a new manager comes in and this feeds into this managerial merry-go-round that is everywhere in the game today. In my view the performances of the Liverpool players when hodgson was there were unacceptably poor but rather than direct their ire at the players, many fans directed it at Hodgson and it was always going to do downhill from there.

He wasn't given much time. Chelsea are a good example because Ancelotti is under pressure and he won the league last season. So has he become a bad manager in a year, or is it the players that are at fault? If a new manager comes in and they play well would you say Ancelotti was therefore the problem - or is it that the lazy players have only now picked up their game?

I agree many of Hodgson's players were poor and his results disappointing but the season had plenty of life left in it. Imo he could have gotten Liverpool to sixth.

You seem to be focussing everything on the players and nothing on Roy. Liverpool supporters generally stand by their manager, we've a history for it. Can you think of any positives or anything new, that he brought to the club? Anything of note that he added? Meireles is about the only thing I can think of.

Plenty of criticism of the players too, plenty. Some of the performances were dire and unacceptable.

PS. I think many over rated Hodgson and under rated the squad. So far from the evidence of Dalglish, they were wrong. A lot of work still to be done and it is early days, he has brought back respect and belief to the players and fans. Can't ask for much more that, Hodgson couldn't do it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

qys2sh.jpg

Mister men wrote: »
    qys2sh.jpg

Take that you ****ing ****! I'll take the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You seem to be focussing everything on the players and nothing on Roy. Liverpool supporters generally stand by their manager, we've a history for it. Can you think of any positives or anything new, that he brought to the club? Anything of note that he added? Meireles is about the only thing I can think of.

Plenty of criticism of the players too, plenty. Some of the performances were dire and unacceptable.

PS. I think many over rated Hodgson and under rated the squad. So far from the evidence of Dalglish, they were wrong. A lot of work still to be done and it is early days, he has brought back respect and belief to the players and fans. Can't ask for much more that, Hodgson couldn't do it.

Who he then proceeded to play on the right wing. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I know King Kenny will get all the credit, but I really think that Stevie Clarke coaching your defence should get some as well.
    Whats that, 4 clean sheets since he arrived?
    Never mind Ray Wilkins, he was the one we never should have let go.

But yep, you did well, much the better team, we looked flat for some reason.

I also agree in that clarke was the best move kenny made,a coach who has worked with one of the best and achieved alot with him.

Pains me to applaud pool today but in winning it has helped us united folk....

It's tough to find positives when you're on your bike by January! I'm not focussing everything on the players but I do believe they got off lightly.

Don't forget Liverpool lost their opening game under Dalglish against United and didn't impress. It was their first game so that's understandable. They then lost to Blackpool having been in front. As many said at the time had Hodgson been there we would have witnessed mass outrage! Instead, Dalglish got the understanding that Hodgson never got. Against Everton in the next game, same story. Liverpool allowed a lead to slip and I believe the reaction for the two managers to the result would have been stark. Efforts in recent games have been better (Fulham game aside perhaps) but these results tell me that the players Liverpool had under Hodgson were just not doing enough. The key thing is Dalglish will receive time and respect.

The reaction to Liverpool beating Chelsea in November was not like the one today. It was along the lines of 'I still don't think Roy's the answer but let's wait and see'. in other words, 'I'll still not support the guy and start complaining when there's another defeat.'

Liverpool have a very tough run from March onwards. February's fixtures seem encouraging but we will see how good the appointment looks come the end of the season.

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Take that you ****ing ****! I'll take the ban.
    Steady on. I'll always have fond memories of Torres and respect what he did for the club. I don't buy into the "judas" BS myself. I suspect in time he'll regret leaving the club as he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It's tough to find positives when you're on your bike by January! I'm not focussing everything on the players but I do believe they got off lightly.

Don't forget Liverpool lost their opening game under Dalglish against United and didn't impress. It was their first game so that's understandable. They then lost to Blackpool having been in front. As many said at the time had Hodgson been there we would have witnessed mass outrage! Instead, Dalglish got the understanding that Hodgson never got. Against Everton in the next game, same story. Liverpool allowed a lead to slip and I believe the reaction for the two managers to the result would have been stark. Efforts in recent games have been better (Fulham game aside perhaps) but these results tell me that the players Liverpool had under Hodgson were just not doing enough. The key thing is Dalglish will receive time and respect.

The reaction to Liverpool beating Chelsea in November was not like the one today. It was along the lines of 'I still don't think Roy's the answer but let's wait and see'. in other words, 'I'll still not support the guy and start complaining when there's another defeat.'

Liverpool have a very tough run from March onwards. February's fixtures seem encouraging but we will see how good the appointment looks come the end of the season.

Only difference between the 1st win V Chelsea and todays win was Torres and what he said on Monday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Brilliant result for the men in red today. Hopefully KK will get the job full time now. And we didn't even need to use our lad Suarez. Great day.

Breaking News.......
    Jamie Carragher has been arrested at Stamford Bridge - he told the Police he didn't realise he had £50m in his pocket.

Mister men wrote: »
    Steady on. I'll always have fond memories of Torres and respect what he did for the club. I don't buy into the "judas" BS myself. I suspect in time he'll regret leaving the club as he did.

I have fond memories of him too, that doesn't mean that he's not a ****ing turncoat though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

hot.gif

You can't point to anything obviously, other than go on about Dalglish.

United was okay considering the sending off, Everton first half was good. Blackpool not bad, as United learned, they can be a handful, defence poor. Hodgson couldn't get a run of 4 wins going and had a run of relatively easier games too. Just sounds like excuses tbh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You can't point to anything obviously, other than go on about Dalglish.

United was okay considering the sending off, Everton first half was good. Blackpool not bad, as United learned, they can be a handful, defence poor. Hodgson couldn't get a run of 4 wins going and had a run of relatively easier games too. Just sounds like excuses tbh.

(sigh) I grow weary of this tbh. I'm not saying anything about Dalglish other than that I think Hodgson deserved the same patience he has received.

You can think what you want. We have evidently different views on the way football should be conducted so we'll leave it there so as Billo would say.

(sigh) I grow weary of this tbh. I'm not saying anything about Dalglish other than that I think Hodgson deserved the same patience he has received.

You can think what you want. We have evidently different views on the way football should be conducted so we'll leave it there so as Billo would say.

Dalglish is in the job a month! I'm sure if results go badly the club will probably look for an alternative.

Jaysus!

There is no logic to your points at all, so yep, better leaving it.

For me, Rafa should have been given another season, so the different views stuff doesn't add up either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

amiable wrote: »

I dunno why anyone would bother to fake that? Obviously not from today. But you knew that! ;)

114.jpg

:confused:

Are you saying we should have persisted with Hodgson ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Hodgson got support at the start of the season, a lot of people seem to think we had it in for him from day one. Nobody was expecting miracles from him at all all we craved at that stage was a safe pair of hands. He ballsed it up himself with rubbish tactics and by disrespecting the fans with pathetic interviews. I find it amazing to hear that someone will still make a case for him at this stage, as i've said time and time again oppo fans would love to see him at LFC, they were more than happy when we "found our level" under Hodgson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Dalglish doesn't even care!

Too busy eating his coat.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :confused:

Are you saying we should have persisted with Hodgson ?

Yes.
    Hodgson got support at the start of the season, a lot of people seem to think we had it in for him from day one. Nobody was expecting miracles from him at all all we craved at that stage was a safe pair of hands. He ballsed it up himself with rubbish tactics and by disrespecting the fans with pathetic interviews. I find it amazing to hear that someone will still make a case for him at this stage, as i've said time and time again oppo fans would love to see him at LFC, they were more than happy when we "found our level" under Hodgson.

When Liverpool beat Chelsea in November there was talk of 'rejuvenation'. Some bad results followed and he was sacked at the start of January. Liverpool have found their level with or without Hodgson. There are at least five teams better than them in the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Yes.

When Liverpool beat Chelsea in November there was talk of 'rejuvenation'. Some bad results followed and he was sacked at the start of January. Liverpool have found their level with or without Hodgson. There are at least five teams better than them in the Premier League.

Save your fingers, after today most pool supporters believe that only for roy they would have the trophy by now. Just bookmark this thread and come back to it in may;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Whats the only ship never to dock in LIVERPOOL?

The Premiership:D

BOOM BOOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Save your fingers, after today most pool supporters believe that only for roy they would have the trophy by now. Just bookmark this thread and come back to it in may;)

We were 4 pts off the bottom when hodgson left, we are now 6pts off 4th playing good football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

You Liverpool fans are too much!
    You have just won a very important match and yet you are arguing amongst yourselves over a manager who isnt there any more?? :confused:

Add to that some of you seem to enjoy posting and watching videos of a ex-player, ex-hero getting hurt which I find that very hard to understand?

There are some very intelligent Liverpool fans who have a sense of humour and perspective on boards.

Please try and follow them, or else you are playing up to the stereotypical shirt burning thug that the Sun loves to portray you as.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

BERBA wrote: »
    BOOM BOOM

Hopefully that was you exploding;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Do you think Liverpool will end up in a better position at the end of the season with Kenny than they would have under Hodgson?

@mr.nice guy

LOL It always amazes me that some people have different voices in their heads!

It's simple on Hodgson. Instead of looking down at relegation, we are looking up at 5th. It was 6th before today.

Anyway MOTD2.

Do you think Liverpool will end up in a better position at the end of the season with Kenny than they would have under Hodgson?

@mr.nice guy

No, I don't. I don't think Liverpool's squad compares to that of United, Arsenal, City, Chelsea or Spurs. I don't think they possess as much quality. They have lost big players like Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Konchesky (joke), but in all seriousness I think Liverpool will be outside the top four for at least this season. With more investment in the summer maybe things will change but as I said when Hodgson was there, I think sixth is as good as it gets for Liverpool this season and I think if Hodgson had been backed in full then he could have gotten Liverpool there.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You Liverpool fans are too much!
    You have just won a very important match and yet you are arguing amongst yourselves over a manager who isnt there any more?? :confused:

It's not amongst ourselves. MNG is a manc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I think if Hodgson had been backed in full then he could have gotten Liverpool there.

Pull the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

@mr.nice guy
    No, I don't. I think sixth is as good as it gets for Liverpool this season and I think if Hodgson had been backed in full then he could have gotten Liverpool there.

LOL. You'd have to wonder sometimes whether some posters even watch football matches!

Yes.

No offense but you haven't a clue.

There was a breakdown between Hodgson and the players and also between Hodgson and the fans.

• Hodgson had lost the fans.
    • Lost the players in my opinion.
    • Fans were staying away from anfield in protest, something unheard of.
    • The team was playing shocking football. Tactics were a disgrace.
    • He was playing players out of position. Meireles on the wing springs to mind, currently playing superb stuff for us.
    • He had a pop at the fans
    • He criticised a Liverpool player (Johnson) publicly.
    • Describing wins over Bolton and nobody's in the Europa Cup as "famous victories"
    • Not to mention 9 league defeats by January and 1 away win keeping the club in and around the relegation places.
    • Failed to stick up for Torres when Fergie criticised him
    There's more but I'm too tired.

Nobody is saying that Dalglish is going to transform the club into title winners overnight or anything silly like that but he knows the club, he loves the club and he knows what makes it tick.

Doesn't say much about your knowledge of football if you think Liverpool should have kept Hodgson as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

But isn't it the job of every manager to ensure they do get the best and 100% effort out of all their players? Hodgson failed to do this

But he still continued to pick the same players every week.

He was completely unable to inspire the squad.

"I am shocked because I rate Roy Hodgson as a great manager. It puts our job into perspective because he was manager of the year in July. It shows you how quickly we lose our qualities because he had to go six months later. Of course it is a shock and I feel our job suffers today."
    "It’s as if it’s his fault. But it’s more or less the team Roy inherited.

"Why did they take him on? He’s got experience, he’s been around the world, he’s *managed Inter Milan twice, the Swiss national team, the Finnish national team and taken Fulham to the Europa League final.

"It’s a sad situation when *managers don’t get the time or money, lose a few games and are then under pressure. It’s *unbelievable.

"It’s a territory that’s widening and widening. We’re talking about this manager going and that *manager going."

Let's see, let's see, would I rather be on the side of two of the greatest minds in the game (and several of LFC's club legends) on this, or join in with the soccer forum Hodgson hate mob.

It's a toughie but I think - yes I'm sure - I think I'd rather be on the side of two of the greatest managers in the game and several LFC club legends. No offence, fellas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement