Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Liverpool Sunday 6th February 16:00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I think hodgson if he was backed would have got pool 6th , same as what kenny will do , simples.

Let's see, let's see, would I rather be on the side of two of the greatest minds in the game (and several of LFC's club legends) on this, or join in with the soccer forum Hodgson hate mob.

It's a toughie but I think - yes I'm sure - I think I'd rather be on the side of two of the greatest managers in the game and several LFC club legends. No offence, fellas.
    "It’s as if it’s his fault. But it’s more or less the team Roy inherited.

And Kenny inherited Roy's team ;)

Case closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

But isn't it the job of every manager to ensure they do get the best and 100% effort out of all their players? Hodgson failed to do this

But he still continued to pick the same players every week.

He was completely unable to inspire the squad.

What if the players don't want to give 100%? Is that then the fault of the manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Let's see, let's see, would I rather be on the side of two of the greatest minds in the game (and several of LFC's club legends) on this, or join in with the soccer forum Hodgson hate mob.

It's a toughie but I think - yes I'm sure - I think I'd rather be on the side of two of the greatest managers in the game and several LFC club legends. No offence, fellas.

Can you find me a quote from any manager in England who has said another manager deserved to be sacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

K-9 wrote: »
    Dalglish doesn't even care!

Yeah i know his coat was too tasty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

What do you expect Wenger and Ferguson to say in public? "Hodgson was crap"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Can you find me a quote from any manager in England who has said another manager deserved to be sacked?

I'm the whole time at it in FM 2011.

What do you expect Wenger and Ferguson to say in public? "Hodgson was crap"?

Didn't Sam suggest after his sacking that it was for the best? I thought Redknapp said likewise but maybe it was the son. Regardless, they wouldn't need to say he was 'crap' but they also didn't need to say he deserved more time.

Likewise guys like Barnes, he's got no reason to say Hodgson should stay so why did he say it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

BERBA wrote: »
    I think hodgson if he was backed would have got pool 6th , same as what kenny will do , simples.

Keep stirring little boy , keep stirring ....

l_73523f337af077509157404ba99813f3.jpg&t=1&usg=AFrqEzdQwk8a_9vqaUagIF0vJttb5TTw7w

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

No, I don't. I don't think Liverpool's squad compares to that of United, Arsenal, City, Chelsea or Spurs. I don't think they possess as much quality. They have lost big players like Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Konchesky (joke), but in all seriousness I think Liverpool will be outside the top four for at least this season. With more investment in the summer maybe things will change but as I said when Hodgson was there, I think sixth is as good as it gets for Liverpool this season and I think if Hodgson had been backed in full then he could have gotten Liverpool there.
    You taking the piss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

simples.

describes you well fella.

Mister men wrote: »
    You taking the piss?

Disappointing to often receive these kind of one-line comments. If you don't want to engage then why post or are you thanks whoring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Yes so if Sir Alex says his friend would have done a good job then it's fact, we should just stop discussing it now :rolleyes:
    Ye can't argue with what happened, judging by how he was doing there was no way he was getting 6th, I doubt even he believed he could but he chose to blame that on the available players.

Just because a system works with one team does not mean it will work with all. You cannot deny that the performances have improved significantly and we are playing much better football since Kenny came in

What if the players don't want to give 100%? Is that then the fault of the manager?

Yes, it's up to the manager to get the players performing, if he can't then he's not much use to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well, I thought Rafa should have stayed for one more season, but didn't mind the Hodgson appointment. Best we were going to get. I thought he'd do alright. I was wrong.

Loads of people thought he was a great appointment. It's okay to say you got it wrong you know! ;)

I'd understand some journos pretending it as they have "reputations".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote: »
    Yes so if Sir Alex says his friend would have done a good job then it's fact, we should just stop discussing it now :rolleyes:
    Ye can't argue with what happened, judging by how he was doing there was no way he was getting 6th, I doubt even he believed he could but he chose to blame that on the available players.

Just because a system works with one team does not mean it will work with all. You cannot deny that the performances have improved significantly and we are playing much better football since Kenny came in

It was put to me that I didn't know anything about football by saying Hodgson should stay. I was simply pointing out many great minds have said in public the same thing.

If Ferguson was around today and started the way he did at United he would likely have been fired. Still early days for Liverpool at the moment.
    colly10 wrote:
    Yes, it's up to the manager to get the players performing, if he can't then he's not much use to anyone

And that's where I differ with many on this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Possibly not.

But in that case, it is still correct to sack him. It may not be to your taste, but you can't realistically replace a whole team as easily as you can replace a manager.

It doesn't matter to me whether Hodgson was hard done by or not. I simply don't care. All I cared about was my strong belief that Liverpool would be better off in the short term and in the long term with a new manager. I believe i will be proved right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I havent followed this thread but seriously get a grip..

Heres a quote from Hodgson earlier in the season.

"Basically speaking unless there is a major inflow of cash and the team is going to be changed from one moment to the next then whoever takes my place will be doing a similar job with similar players."

How wrong was he!!

I just have to LOL at the banner @ the bridge today summed up perfectly by this :)

180862_10150138825820435_620980434_8517269_6162828_n.jpg

It was put to me that I didn't know anything about football by saying Hodgson should stay. I was simply pointing out many great minds have said in public the same thing.

If Ferguson was around today and started the way he did at United he would likely have been fired. Still early days for Liverpool at the moment.

You do understand the vested interests the likes of Wenger and Ferguson have in relation to this matter?

- Friends with Hodgson
    - Members of the same profession
    - Members of the same union
    - Rivals of Liverpool

Simply - they are more likely to have been speaking out for Roy's best interests rather than Liverpool's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

One of Hodgsons biggest failings was his pathetic performance in interviews. He said all the wrong things, he failed to protect the players and criticised individuals also. He pandered to Ferguson. Aside from the worst start to a league campaign since 1953, he failed to behave like a Liverpool manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Disappointing to often receive these kind of one-line comments. If you don't want to engage then why post or are you thanks whoring?
    Simple question as your post was so unbelievably naive. What's thanks whoring BTW?

Possibly not.

But in that case, it is still correct to sack him. It may not be to your taste, but you can't realistically replace a whole team as easily as you can replace a manager.

It doesn't matter to me whether Hodgson was hard done by or not. I simply don't care. All I cared about was my strong belief that Liverpool would be better off in the short term and in the long term with a new manager. I believe i will be proved right.

I can't accept it's right to sack a manager in such circumstances. This gives players crazy power.

There was an interview on ESPN recently with Ferguson, don't know if you saw it or not, but he made the point that he finds it crazy how managers go so quickly and how more clubs haven't followed the model of United and Arsenal and stuck by their manager. I agree with him.

Hodgson imo did not become a bad coach in the space of under a year. His players didn't perform well enough and he failed to win over the fans. That won't happen at Liverpool now, but whether they will get further without him remains to be seen. Thi season, I doubt it.
    You do understand the vested interests the likes of Wenger and Ferguson have in relation to this matter?

- Friends with Hodgson
    - Members of the same profession
    - Members of the same union
    - Rivals of Liverpool

Simply - they are more likely to have been speaking out for Roy's best interests rather than Liverpool's

As I said above, Ferguson has spoken out enough on the importance of stability for it to be simply an old pals act. As well as that, the likes of Barnes and other Liverpool legends are not his pals so why did they think he should stay? Maybe Barnes is a 'manc'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Didn't Sam suggest after his sacking that it was for the best? I thought Redknapp said likewise but maybe it was the son. Regardless, they wouldn't need to say he was 'crap' but they also didn't need to say he deserved more time.

Likewise guys like Barnes, he's got no reason to say Hodgson should stay so why did he say it?

I don't remember Sam saying anything on it. But at the time he wouldn't have been a manager. I honestly have never heard a manager in a job come and say another deserved to be sacked or even say they aren't surprised. As a current manager the LMA would probably be straight on the phone to give you a bollocking. Managers have a huge vested interest in managers staying in a job as long as possible.

No idea why Barnes said it, maybe the guy is just clueless? If he felt Hodgson really didn't deserve to be sacked then I'd go with that.

Dcully wrote: »

Banner pic

ah now that is blatant copying by whomever made the banner, but its nothing like the shankly gates! its a random symbol, if it was supposed to be the gates it would have the crest above the symbol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Are people really still defending Roy Hodgson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Are people really still defending Roy Hodgson?

Yes non Liverpool fans

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

To be brutally honest I wouldn't entertain the Roy comparisons or the rest of the waffle. We've just beaten last years winners at home and away, we've money to spend and the right manager to spend it so no matter what this season has in store we're on the up.
    Simples.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ah now that is blatant copying by whomever made the banner, but its nothing like the shankly gates! its a random symbol, if it was supposed to be the gates it would have the crest above the symbol :rolleyes:

Jaysus anyone can see that, its more the fonts and copying that make me LOL.

Magnolia wrote:
    To be brutally honest I wouldn't entertain the Roy comparisons or the rest of the waffle. We've just beaten last years winners at home and away, we've money to spend and the right manager to spend it so no matter what this season has in store we're on the up.
    Simples.

Janey, you're not even going to give Roy partial credit for that. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Janey, you're not even going to give Roy partial credit for that. :pac:

I obviously wasn't obvious enough, what I meant was; 'enjoy the win(s) and ignore the begrudgers and the trolls.'

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement

Hodgson imo did not become a bad coach in the space of under a year.

He didn't, but I don't think his style of football works with our players. It's a style of football to get the best of of players with little talent, where not getting beat is of main importance.
    Where there's expectation, your not going to do well with that mentality and the players themselves probably seen that and lost faith in him.
    Talking the players down and building up a win against Napoli as a historic victory isn't going to do him any favours either.
    You've got to demand Liverpool players beat Wolves at home, saying you wouldn't be disappointed with a draw will work at Fulham but it's not good enough at Liverpool

I obviously wasn't obvious enough, what I meant was; 'enjoy the win(s) and ignore the begrudgers and the trolls.'

Cheers for that.

Can I ask is the troll accusation directed at me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

(sigh) I grow weary of this tbh. I'm not saying anything about Dalglish other than that I think Hodgson deserved the same patience he has received.

You can think what you want. We have evidently different views on the way football should be conducted so we'll leave it there so as Billo would say.

Dalglish is only there a month, Hodgson had over 6.

Exactly how was he not afforded time when he had 6 times the amount of time to put things right.

Kenny put things right from game 1, now we have 4 wins on the trot without conceding a goal.

I'm sorry, but Hodgson NEVER approached getting that type of run from the team, he might have 1 semi decent performance, then the next match the team would be all wrong.

Roy got more than enough time IMO, and thankfully Kenny's in now, or we'd be languishing around relegation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Chelsea could miss out on 4th , we can so take that spot, How awful would that be for torres

Stability is not just a function of the managers longevity. It's about having the best man for the job. Hodgson was not that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I would dearly love to read the 700 or so post that I missed, but I'm not going to.

Suffice to say it's great to see the plastic club, with their plastic fans saluting their new plastic hero.

*slow handclap*

King Kenny ftw

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Chelsea could miss out on 4th , we can so take that spot, How awful would that be for torres

Seriously, who gives a fcuk.

It'd be great for Liverpool, that's all I care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Honestly now you gotta be living in some fantasy land if you think Hodgson would have got the same results in the last 4 games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I would dearly love to read the 700 or so post that I missed, but I'm not going to.

Suffice to say it's great to see the plastic club, with their plastic fans saluting their new plastic hero.

*slow handclap*

King Kenny ftw

There will always be a few like you ,

Well won from liverpool and fair play to them, but that plastic jibe is about as stupid as comments get.
    Look this history rubbish keeps coming up ,

Liverpool were the Team of an Era , that era is long gone now , this is the reason there is so many Liverpool in Ireland .

Here is the way I see it and its usually the case :

The old man supports the pool back in the day , there cleaning up wining everything , he has kids , the kids are brought up a pool supporters as are there kids and thus they have a huge fan base, and since they dont have many recent accolades everyone bangs on about past glorys cause that is all they have now ( This is not a dig ) I know you won the Champions League bar that I do believe our recent History is far superior.

Same goes for Man U too,

My old man supports Chelsea as do I now , and we are now creating our history , If everyone just supported the same old guard with history we would all end up supporting the same few clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

RasTa wrote: »
    Honestly now you gotta be living in some fantasy land if you think Hodgson would have got the same results in the last 4 games.

Why bother keep debating that, he set out to sour the thread defending the worst Liverpool manager ever and succeeded. Just ignore.

Things are on the up for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There will always be a few like you ,

Well won from liverpool and fair play to them, but that plastic jibe is about as stupid as comments get.

I think it's more a jibe at Chelsea's attempt to replicate the Anfield atmosphere. Bit stupid al right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I appear to be getting called a troll by others for expressing an unpopular viewpoint so I'll let my last contribution be this - I'm not just referring to time when talking about Hodgson (though for me if we've reached the stage where 6 months is considered ample time then the game really is fooked) but I'm talking about the entire attitude towards Hodgson.

Hodgson came in under a cloud after the Benitez dismissal and it was quite clear many simply didn't fancy him. As a result, he had to win many of the fans over. Dalglish in contrast is regarded as a club legend already and so was going to be given that kind of attitude - patience, tolerance, call it what you will. The defeat to Blackpool was met with little criticism. Do you think Hodgson would have gotten off so lightly? What about the Everton game? What if he was there for the Fulham game? Wouldn't we have heard comments like 'Big deal it was an O.G. Hodgson out!'

I have admired Hodgson for many years. I think he is a top coach as Jamie Redknapp might say. I witnessed several people saying likewise when he took Fulham to the Europa League final. I praised him as many Liverpool fans did. I joked when he got the job 'why couldn't Liverpool have gone for an unpopular guy' because I actually like the chap and feel he is a gentleman. Many in the game seem to agree. I recall a Liverpool fan saying something along the lines of 'How long before the United fans praising him turn on him :rolleyes:?' Well I wasn't one of them. In fact, as we know what happened is many Liverpool fans turned on him. When I refused to do likewise it was then said that the reason I wanted him to stay was because I was worried about Liverpool getting rid of him. This was not true.

I believe Hodgson is as good a coach now as he was when he left Fulham. Did he make mistakes? Absolutely. Many of the players he bought didn't perform - but many of the players there before he joined didn't perform either. Torres in my view had a terrible World Cup and was largely poor for Liverpool. Some Liverpool fans acknowledged it, some didn't, but it's undoubtedly tough when your talismanic striker is sulking like a schoolgirl. He also lost Mascherano, and the hype about Cole seemed misguided. As such, I think he was let down by his players.

I think there were extenuating circumstances and I think he came in at a tough time and got delivered some bad hands and did the best he could at the time. I do think he suffered and struggled - but I believe he could have received better support. I believe that Liverpool, with their misfiring players were never going to get into a top 4/5 finish and that realistically the league should have been looked at as a transitional period for them this year, unless Hodgson was to be given big support with transfers in January.

In the end they gave him the boot and I felt for the man and believe he could have gotten Liverpool to sixth place by the end of the season. Talk of relegation for me was folly. I didn't see him getting higher than sixth because I think other teams have better players.

I will have to leave it at that. I am not trolling if some think I am. Liverpool fans who know me from other boards know I am not one. I do seem to be in a minority on this issue but I simply admire the guy and think he could have gotten a better time of things. It's nothing to do with being a 'Manc' either. It's not like I am the only one to think he deserved a longer stay.

It does disappoint me that there are many who toss out troll implications when met with a view they do not agree with. It is this kind of stuff that stifles discussion, drowning out views that are thought to challenge the concencus. I'm not going to apologise for the views I have. I only ask that people respect them, even if they don't agree with them, and preferably leave out the tide of rolleyes smilies, one-line remarks and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

RasTa wrote: »

Today Kenny was interviewed and they were talking about a Champions League spot. Last Month Roy was interviewed and they talked about relegation that speaks volumes in my eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Hodgson imo did not become a bad coach in the space of under a year. His players didn't perform well enough and he failed to win over the fans. That won't happen at Liverpool now, but whether they will get further without him remains to be seen. Thi season, I doubt it.

he didnt become a bad coach over night he is the same coach he has been for the last 35 year, NOT good enough for liverpool fc

it doesnt remain to be seen if we can get further without him, we are already there we are a hell of a lot further up the table, playing better football and challenging for europe instead of fighting relegation which we were under roy

I appear to be getting called a troll by others for expressing an unpopular viewpoint ....... blah de blah

Anyone else get to about there (blah de blah above) and get bored and not read on....

Yeah i though so, lol.

• Advertisement

Anyone else get to about there (blah de blah above) and get bored and not read on....

Yeah i though so, lol.

I got as far as 'I'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Aaaaahhhh, good boy....you got all your spellings right....you're a good boy, aren't ya?
    did you do a wee wee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Aaaaahhhh, good boy....you got all your spellings right....you're a good boy, aren't ya?
    did you do a wee wee?
    Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah i though so, lol.

No I have an attention span long enough to be able to read it.

The guy was making a point having been pretty much labelled a troll (which most should know is not the case).

If you aren't going to bother to read it then at least have a bit of decency to not be a dick at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No I have an attention span long enough to be able to read it.

The guy was making a point having been pretty much labelled a troll (which most should know is not the case).

If you aren't going to bother to read it then at least have a bit of decency to not be a dick at the same time.

I think this says all you need to know about this forum when a mod behaves like this.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement