Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you use the Thanks system on here?

• 04-02-2011 5:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Have to say I use it almost exclusively in a sarcastic manner, to Thank people who have entirely missed the point of a post, or launched on tirades against me or whatnot. They generally make me chuckle anyway.

The odd time I'll use it on a funny post, because quoting an entire message just to put 'lolz' makes you look like a tard.

Anyone else notice when a mod wades into a thread to mouth off about being a mod, they tend to get a **** load of Thanks? Cringe worthy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Have to say I use it almost exclusively in a sarcastic manner, to Thank people who have entirely missed the point of a post, or launched on tirades against me or whatnot. They generally make me chuckle anyway.

The odd time I'll use it on a funny post, because quoting an entire message just to put 'lolz' makes you look like a tard.

Anyone else notice when a mod wades into a thread to mouth off about being a mod, they tend to get a **** load of Thanks? Cringe worthy.
    lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Is this just a veiled attempt to complain about mods again?

I realise that coming from a Mod that may seem a bit sarky but nobody ever gives out about me cause I'm great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Yes.
    I'm a bit of a whore actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I thank people if they say something I agree with, or is funny, or if they make a good point. I'm a fearless arbiter.

I wish I could thank myself because I generally manage to hit all three marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Yup, me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yep far too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I realise that coming from a Mod that may seem a bit sarky but nobody ever gives out about me cause I'm great.

self praise is no praise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a thanks system?

Aha aha aha ha ha!

I'm a f*cking pain in the arse.

hondasam wrote: »
    self praise is no praise :)

In fact I think I should get both the parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

No not really, haven't had any issues with them for a while. But it's just funny the way when you're arguing with a user and a mod steps in to say blah blah ban blah lock blah blah, sometimes the other user with Thank his post. And mod posts in general are more likely to get Thanked. Surely you, as a mod, laugh at this brown nosing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Never tried that one before. Cant see have ever seen it before either unless they are in agreement with the mods decisions.

:confused:

Waits thanks to flood in

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No not really, haven't had any issues with them for a while. But it's just funny the way when you're arguing with a user and a mod steps in to say blah blah ban blah lock blah blah, sometimes the other user with Thank his post. And mod posts in general are more likely to get Thanked. Surely you, as a mod, laugh at this brown nosing?

Wonder how many thanks I will get for closing this. *ponders*

Sometimes you look at a thread that's thrashing about like a wounded animal with two people bickering pointlessly, or going on about the arabs\jews\poor\rich and if a mod stops it, it's like he leaned over, whispered softly into the threads ear and suddenly, violently snapped its neck. I thank for the mercy killing.

My forums are quiet and well behaved so I don't really have to step in much.

Except when people post sh*t about Snow Patrol. :mad:

My forums are quiet and well behaved so I don't really have to step in much.

Except when people post sh*t about Snow Patrol. :mad:

Snow Patrol, they are the guys who's songs all sound the same, right? :P

Wonder how many thanks I will get for closing this. *ponders*

stop pondering it does not suit you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

I do :D

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Sometimes you look at a thread that's thrashing about like a wounded animal with two people bickering pointlessly, or going on about the arabs\jews\poor\rich and if a mod stops it, it's like he leaned over, whispered softly into the threads ear and suddenly, violently snapped its neck. I thank for the mercy killing.

I'm not on about other people Thanking it, I just mean if X is arguing with Y and a mod steps in, Y Thanks the post because he knows they're both 'in the bad books' and thinks it was help. I've noticed a few users in particular always doing it.

In fact I think I should get both the parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work.

you are brilliant, I have moved you to the top of my list of fav mod,

I'm not on about other people Thanking it, I just mean if X is arguing with Y and a mod steps in, Y Thanks the post because he knows they're both 'in the bad books' and thinks it was help. I've noticed a few users in particular always doing it.

That's a bit weird alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I think I'll thank every third post in this thread

*Brings out doll*

Now, point to where the bad mod touched you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

*Brings out doll*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I thank mods post-ironically. FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i only thank posts that a: make me laugh out loud,
    and b: that i agree with or that say what i would have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's because there isn't an arse-licking button.

*Brings out doll*

really micky that is a loaded question ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A "no thanks" system would be far more popular.
    Give some one a "no thanks" when you disagree with their view.

The place would be a warzone within minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Yes I use the thanks system. I generally thank posts that interesting, informative or funny. In threads like You Laugh You Lose, it's good for skimming past the **** posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I've a theory that its all a big conspiracy between X Y and R...They're saving up all their thanks and pooling them together to get free cheese in tesco!

*Brings out doll*

No you've misunderstood again. Were you made mod to meet a government quota or something?

No you've misunderstood again. Were you made mod to meet a government quota or something?

Damn, they are on to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I think you've missed the point on that score.

Mod steps in and warns X&Y, posters generally thank the mods post to show that they accept the warning or point that the mod has just made. I wouldn't call it brown-nosing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Have you ever noticed how many people get so worked up over the fucking thanks system? I mean really, go outside and get some fresh air and worry about something important. Its getting sad at this stage.

Snow Patrol, they are the guys who's songs all sound the same, right? :P

Parfact Ayes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I use the thanks button to thank people off when I think of it. Sometimes I just use it to show that I've seen someones post if they've replied to a post I made and stuff like that. Sometimes I completely forget about it though so don't get pissed off with me if I don't thank someones post, this website is enough work as it is. I wish I never posted on the Dome, it's really time consuming to reply to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

It's grand for when you're skimming through a thread, it's easier to see which posts are usually better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

There's a thanks button?

I use the thanks button to thank people off when I think of it. Sometimes I just use it to show that I've seen someones post if they've replied to a post I made and stuff like that. Sometimes I completely forget about it though so don't get pissed off with me if I don't thank someones post, this website is enough work as it is. I wish I never posted on the Dome, it's really time consuming to reply to everyone.

To complicated for you :pac:

Do people just thank the hot posters?

• Advertisement

It doesn't actually mean anything though does it? Like there's no record kept of how many Thanks you've got or anything?

I ask because I was warned/banned or something before for "looking for Thanks in threads", which baffled me a bit as I didn't think they counted for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Tempted to do a thanks-encouraging 'mod' post but this ain't my forum. Kinda disappointed* now :(

*sympathy thanks?

To complicated for you :pac:
    huh:confused: Maybe they should do away with the Thanks button, was it made to stop people replying saying "+1"?
    I ought to grammar Nazi your ass :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I use the rep system still. You just have to enable it in your UserCP.

It doesn't actually mean anything though does it? Like there's no record kept of how many Thanks you've got or anything?

I ask because I was warned/banned or something before for "looking for Thanks in threads", which baffled me a bit as I didn't think they counted for anything.

people thank the posters the interact with all the time. maybe stop the mods from getting thanks would be a good idea.

No thanks button would be good but then it would be a competition between thanks and no thanks.

failing all that just forget about it and post away and ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No. I notice people saying it happens a lot all right but it seems moreso to be all in their head. When it does happen, perhaps it's because there's something to the post in question with which they agree, rather than a case of brown-nosing?
    Why should it mean something or have a record (there actually is a record)? It's a system of expressing appreciation for a post which looks tidier than reams of "Brilliant post", "+1", ":D" etc.

The way it's so forensically analysed and a cause of such anger/paranoia is funny. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

thanked alot of mods comments just to annoy the ol op :D

huh:confused: Maybe they should do away with the Thanks button, was it made to stop people replying saying "+1"?
    I ought to grammar Nazi your ass :P

I Will Thank You to stay well away from my ass :D

I Will Thank You can stay well away from my ass :D
    Not a chance, I'm getting closer by the minute. Brace yourself!

Ruu wrote: »
    I use the rep system still. You just have to enable it in your UserCP.
    What is this Rep system you speak of.
    Also, how would anyone know if a poster died? There should be something put in place for such an event..?

• Advertisement
Advertisement