Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help deciding on a New Smart Phone

Options
  • 04-02-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for help deciding on which smartphone to purchase. I am currently on Vodafone and would be my preference to remain with that network.

I have got my choices down to:

Blackberry Pearl 1905
    Iphone 4
    Samsung Galaxy S
    HTC Desire HD

I am wondering if anyone had any advice which I should choose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

HTC desire or HD would be best imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have a read of the "how to ask for recommendations" sticky.

We need to know what is important to you before recommending a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cows123

iphone 4 deffinitely. Has to be the best phone ever!

cows123 wrote: »
    iphone 4 deffinitely. Has to be the best phone ever!

It all depends on your definition of best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Forget about blackberry, they are past technology and nowhere near as smart as the others. I'd recommend one of the HTC desire range. The iPhone is very nice from a user interface perspective, but is being overtaken recently on the user front. Plus the iPhone 4 is in the latter period of its life cycle and the phone blogs are warning people not to buy them as they will soon be out dated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

for me its htc desire hd versus the samsung galaxy, with the galaxy edging as it will probably be on gingerbread (latest android) first.

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sportinglegend

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Have a read of the "how to ask for recommendations" sticky.

We need to know what is important to you before recommending a phone.

Well I want a phone that I can access e-mail on and that will allow me to surf the web easily including social networking apps. Then secondary to that i suppose I would like to be able to store music on the phone the sound quality does not have to be amazing but decent all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

If you need web browsing DHD is the best. Though Googles email client is ****.

i have a HTC HD7 cant complain with it. And Music quality from the headphones is great.

Well I want a phone that I can access e-mail on and that will allow me to surf the web easily including social networking apps. Then secondary to that i suppose I would like to be able to store music on the phone the sound quality does not have to be amazing but decent all the same.

And there's the problem - all of the above phones will do what you want.

So it's probably down to a matter of personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

If you need web browsing DHD is the best. Though Googles email client is ****.

but the GMail client is the sex (there's a surprise)

Don't like Gmail either. Seems like an ancient UI compared to hotmail. Web apps sync better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Don't like Gmail either. Seems like an ancient UI compared to hotmail. Web apps sync better too.

I personally love GMail sync.. but I'm easily impressed given the OS I came from :D

Well I've nothing with functionality but I've been a long time hotmail user and all my registrations and subscriptions are regged on that. I do have Gmail but I don't like the UI on Gmail :) anyway back to Google android email app is sort of crap cause you can't see the email in full html glory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

which of Samsung, HTC, etc has the best battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

travist wrote: »
    which of Samsung, HTC, etc has the best battery life?

Depends what software it comes with, depends how far you are from cell tower. Depends on how you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

thanks
    Sounds like there's neither any particular outstanding performer nor one to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Price may be a factor.

Desire HD will be the most expensive of the options listed by the guts of €100. Blackberry is just a non-starter, i'm not a fan.

Personally, i'd be flipping a coin between the desire (not hd) and the galaxy S. . .possibly hoping it landed on the desire side :D

I'm told that the Galaxy battery is better, OP, but i get a approx a day and a half on my newly gingerbreaded desire so i'm not sure how much of a fact that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Desire HD if you can afford it, if not then just go for the regular desire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Galaxy S: Avoid.

If the DHD seems a bit pricey, get the original Desire instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Galaxy S, just make sure you update to 2.2.1 as it was laggy before that.
    It also has the scratch proof glass (not sure if desire has it). I've had mine since September without any case or screen protector and no scratches, and I keep it in my pocket with keys.

desire has scratch proof glass

Advertisement