Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences with old style fuse boards...

• 04-02-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

Ok so me and some mates are thinking of renting a house together,

Only thing is the place has the old style fuse board.

The 3 of us have a pc each and numerous consoles.. so we would probably have a lot running at the same time.

Are these boards usually reliable/unreliable when it comes to a lot of hardware running?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Korvanica wrote: »
    Ok so me and some mates are thinking of renting a house together,

Only thing is the place has the old style fuse board.

The 3 of us have a pc each and numerous consoles.. so we would probably have a lot running at the same time.

Are these boards usually reliable/unreliable when it comes to a lot of hardware running?

Cheers

Computers and consoles are not heavy users of power so it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There's really no difference between how a fuse board or a modern panel of circuit breakers will behave if a circuit is overloaded, they will blow/trip.

The only downside to a fuseboard is that you have to physically replace the fuses rather than just trip a circuit breaker.

Check to see if it has an RCD.

Should look something like this :
    H5.1.3_rcd.jpg (with a reset button).

This device protects you against electric shocks by tripping if there's any leakage to earth.

If it does, the installation is probably not THAT old, fuses were still being installed in the 1980s by some electricians.

As the previous poster said, electronics don't really use very much power.

You'll only have problems if you're overloading circuits e.g. with multiple heaters etc etc.

All the fuses or circuit breakers do is trip if a circuit is overloaded. They protect against fire.

But, you'd have exactly the same problems in a house with a more modern panel, i.e. the breaker would trip.

My only advice would be that you should check to see what type of fuses the board has i.e. what rating they are and buy a few and keep them near the fuse board with a battery operated torch.

They *very* rarely blow unless you're doing something strange.

Advertisement