Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC issues

• 04-02-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hey everyone.
    Got my brand new 20mb UPC connection installed on tuesday.
    It was the phone/tv/broadband package and it worked great the first day. Ever since it has been disconnecting frequently, dropping to horribly slow speeds and sometimes dropping connection and not connecting at all.
    It seems preferect during the day (10am - 4pm) but after that it screws up badly.
    The router is a Cisco EPC2425 and it is installed right along side the TV and phone.
    My computer is located up stairs but even my iPod experiences connection problems even if I am in the same room as the router.
    I have heard that the router is horribly poor and I was thinking of purchasing a wireless N router but I also heard you need a UPC specfic router to work with the connection as it is a modem/router combo.
    I'm at a bit of a loss a what to do and im highly disappointed. I was really hyped at getting a 20mb broadband upgrade from Eircoms 7mb connection.
    Does anyone else have this same problem and if so what did you do to rectify it.
    Thanks

EDIT: Added Speed and Ping tests.
    1142745397.png
    33843533.png

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Alan3002 wrote: »
    I have heard that the router is horribly poor and I was thinking of purchasing a wireless N router but I also heard you need a UPC specfic router to work with the connection as it is a modem/router combo.

Not quite, you need a router without an integrated modem, usually sold as either cable routers or simply broadband routers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

EDIT: Added Speed and Ping tests.

Don't use Limerick, and if you want to get rid of the packet loss warning you need to turn off the packetflood protection in the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

Spear wrote: »
    Not quite, you need a router without an integrated modem, usually sold as either cable routers or simply broadband routers.

Thanks for the fast reply.
    I was going to purchase this today but was not sure:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6757742/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

Would that be acceptable on my connection?

Speed test from Dublin:
    1142751503.png
    33843865.png

Just curious, should the Limerick speed test be higher than the Dublin one as I am located in Limerick?

Just curious, should the Limerick speed test be higher than the Dublin one as I am located in Limerick?

It's quicker to go to Dublin than it is to go to Limerick with a stop at Dallas, Texas, which is where your traffic is going.

Bump, anyone else having similar issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I presume you checked your speeds with a wired connection? Cable broadband speeds can be slower during peak internet usage hours but not that slow. Could that one of your neighbours only turns on their router or some other equipment after 4pm that interferes with your connection. In which case changing your wireless channel might help. inSIDDer will show you signal strengths/channels of nearby networks.

If you plug in a cable router you'll need to set the EPC2425 to bridged mode which menas your phone won't work! There is a way around this - just search this forum (it's called the DMZ method I think). Alternatively you could ask UPC to change your wireless modem for a wired one (I asked for one when I got my 20 meg connection installed), you can then plug in a router and your phones will work without the need for a workaround.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I presume you checked your speeds with a wired connection? Cable broadband speeds can be slower during peak internet usage hours but not that slow. Could that one of your neighbours only turns on their router or some other equipment after 4pm that interferes with your connection. In which case changing your wireless channel might help. inSIDDer will show you signal strengths/channels of nearby networks.

If you plug in a cable router you'll need to set the EPC2425 to bridged mode which menas your phone won't work! There is a way around this - just search this forum (it's called the DMZ method I think). Alternatively you could ask UPC to change your wireless modem for a wired one (I asked for one when I got my 20 meg connection installed), you can then plug in a router and your phones will work without the need for a workaround.

I have used Vistumbler to determine the channels of the connections around me, a few were on the same channel so I changed mine to channel 13. It really didnt improve my connection.
    I think my main problem is just the power of my router/modem at the moment.
    I think the best course of action is to buy a decent router and have my current box turn off its router capabilities and use it as a modem.
    As far as I know what should work with the phone but im not 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Apologies if slightly off topic. In county waterford with satellite broadband.

The connection at first was terrible and that it was a waste of money. Was randomly disconnecting and very slow, but then replaced the Sweex router that came with it for a Belkin 802.11N router and now it well.. works!

Would suggest a better router if possible.

pajor wrote: »
    Apologies if slightly off topic. In county waterford with satellite broadband.

The connection at first was terrible and that it was a waste of money. Was randomly disconnecting and very slow, but then replaced the Sweex router that came with it for a Belkin 802.11N router and now it well.. works!

Would suggest a better router if possible.

Yeah thats what I'm aiming for.
    As far as I know I can turn off the router and leave on the modem on my Cisco EPC2425 and purchase this and use it as a router:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6757742/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

The only thing im trying to find out at this stage is that would this definitely work and not be a waste of money and would I still have the use of my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

1143801056.png

I'm on their 'Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb' package
    Meant to get 30Mb downstream; 3Mb upstream

My setup;
    Cisco EPC2425 - UPC Cable/Modem (& awful router, unused)
    Linksys E3000 - Running Tomato Firmware v1.28.9054 and in the Ciscos DMZ so acting as my router. Gives me two wireless networks, a G and a N network. That speed above was when I was connected to the N network. I'm sure yea don't need the Tomato Firmware but I can't help but tinker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

to turn the EPC2425 into a pure modem...
    1. disable WiFi on http://192.168.100.1/wlanBasic.asp (Access Point = Disabled)
    2. go to http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp and set Gateway Mode to "Bridged".

Your router (e.g. the Belkin N300) will now have the public IP address on it's WAN interface and be providing wired / wireless connectivity using private IP space. UPC's device will act as a plain modem (i.e no layer 3)...

donal.hunt wrote: »
    to turn the EPC2425 into a pure modem...
    1. disable WiFi on http://192.168.100.1/wlanBasic.asp (Access Point = Disabled)
    2. go to http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp and set Gateway Mode to "Bridged".

Your router (e.g. the Belkin N300) will now have the public IP address on it's WAN interface and be providing wired / wireless connectivity using private IP space. UPC's device will act as a plain modem (i.e no layer 3)...

Thanks for the reply guys.
    So in doing this I will still have phone access?
    Looks like I'll be buying the Belkin Router after all.

So in doing this I will still have phone access?

No, bridging disables the phone.

Check the sticky:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146473

Thanks for all the help guys. Still having some problems.
    Got my new router and had it hooked into my modem(router disabled) in bridge mode and it worked perfectly, it was fantastic.
    Unfortunately the UPC phone service will be available to me on Friday so I had to set up my new router to the Cisco one with the "DMZ" method.
    I basically copied these settings except the DNS ones which I have set to opendns.
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Hope the below info helps
    My setup;
    Cisco cable modem
    LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 /24

New router; (connection to Cisco is connected to the new routers WAN/Internet port)
    WAN IP: 192.168.1.2
    WAN Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    WAN Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    WAN DNS: 89.101.160.8 & 89.101.160.9 & 8.8.4.4 (these are mine, you can use others)
    LAN IP: 192.168.0.254
    LAN Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    LAN IPs for DHCP: 192.168.0.1->192.168.0.100
    Mode: Gateway

Working great for me.

The internet is working now but I am experiencing problems such as the web disconnecting for ~1 second and reconnecting. It's not very noticible surfing the web but it will disconnect me while playing online video games. It doesnt show the connection dropping on my PC but I can only assume that is what's happening.
    On a rare occasion an internet page wont load or will load very slowly.
    Any ideas?

EDIT: I have also disabled IP Flood Detection on my Cisco router/modem. Wonder does this affect much?

My speed tests have also improved with the new router. Just this one annoying problem.
    1148494998.png
    34146389.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Over the last few weeks I've been experiencing similar problems. I'm paying for UPC's 30 Mb service, but following numerous speed tests, I am aware that I am not getting anywhere near that (earlier today I recorded a download speed of 1.65).

Having phoned UPC, I've received the usual reassurances about "boosts" being fired my way, yet the problems persist. Here's the latest reading:

1148635992.png

When I try the UPC test I'm getting a reading of 18.69/1.21. At the risk of asking an extremely naïve question, why is there such a discrepancy between each test (I'm trying to avoid cynicism!)?

What is the most reliable speed test available?

I've been told by UPC that a technician will be with me on Friday.

Leopardi wrote: »
    Over the last few weeks I've been experiencing similar problems. I'm paying for UPC's 30 Mb service, but following numerous speed tests, I am aware that I am not getting anywhere near that (earlier today I recorded a download speed of 1.65).

Having phoned UPC, I've received the usual reassurances about "boosts" being fired my way, yet the problems persist. Here's the latest reading:

1148635992.png

When I try the UPC test I'm getting a reading of 18.69/1.21. At the risk of asking an extremely naïve question, why is there such a discrepancy between each test (I'm trying to avoid cynicism!)?

What is the most reliable speed test available?

I've been told by UPC that a technician will be with me on Friday.

Try do the speed test on speedtest.net on the Dublin or Galway servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Try do the speed test on speedtest.net on the Dublin or Galway servers.

Thanks for the reply . . .

Galway:

1148748086.png

Dublin:

1148750229.png

Bump, any ideas from anyone?

Problem is becoming very bad, almost impossible to play an Online Game for over 5 minutes without being disconnected. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 2xensemble

Same Problem here I'm fed up with them at this stage, paying for 30mb getting around 18mb max... router does not read devices cable to wireless... constantly disconnecting at random times for up to 15mins. I play games online aswell as poker which has cost me a few quid at aswell, so you've really got to ride your luck that you don't get cut off...had a techie out twice both times while I was at work told my flatmate a load of bull saying the router is "top of the line"; I checked up after and all he did was change wireless channel both times despite the fact i specifically stated that I want a new router or else I'm cancelling....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 2xensemble

Or can anyone suggest a alternative provider beside eircom/vodafone?:confused:

Gonna post some info that might help someone sort my problem:

BELKIN WIRELESS N router plugged into my CISCO 2425 modem/router through ethernet cable.

Cisco Info:
    LAN
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1 /24
    IP Network: 192.168.1.0
    Decimal NetMask: 255.255.255.0
    Broadcast: 192.168.1.255

WAN
    IP Address: 89.100.68.93
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP: 89.100.68.1
    Duration: D: 02 H: 23 M: 59 S: 58
    IPv4 DNS Servers: 89.101.160.489.101.160.5
    MAC Address: 44:58:29:7f:e3:86

Firewall Protection: Disabled
    IP Flood Detection: Disabled

New Channel: Auto
    Current Channel: 1

Belkin Info:
    WAN
    Connection type: Static
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    ISP Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Address: 208.67.222.220
    Secondary DNS Address: 208.67.220.220

LAN

IP Address: 192.168.0.254
    DHCP Server: ON
    IP Pool Starting Address: 192.168.0.1
    IP Pool Ending Address: 192.168.0.100

Firewall: Enable

Wireless Channel: 8
    Extension Channel: 4

UPNP: Enabled

Hope someone can help me out, horribly start to a new UPC connection over from Eircom

Bumpy Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Bumpy Bump

See can you source an old UPC/NTL modem, the small grey boxes, the ones that dont contain any wireless functionality. There are loads of them around.

Its a good way to test to see if its the router or the line?

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/scientific-atlanta-modem-upc-ntl/288268

I have on of these and a 20MB connection and am getting full speeds :)

See can you source an old UPC/NTL modem, the small grey boxes, the ones that dont contain any wireless functionality. There are loads of them around.

Its a good way to test to see if its the router or the line?

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/scientific-atlanta-modem-upc-ntl/288268

I have on of these and a 20MB connection and am getting full speeds :)

Yeah I may try one of those when all else fails. Thanks

Anyway on a futher update!
    Connection acted up again on my PC, yellow caution sign appeared over my wireless toolbar icon and web pages would not load, immediately I tried my iPod and the net was working perfeclty,
    I am starting to think this may be an issue with the settings on my PC.
    I am using a Belkin wireless N adapter.
    A mate told me to go into my connection on my PC and change the Internet Protocol 4 settings (TCP/IPv4).
    I chaned everything from automatic to these settings:

IP Address: 192.168.0.130
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.254

Primary DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

So far so good, hopefully the connection will keep stable and will stop dropping whenever it feels like it.

Nevermind. Worked for about 20 minutes and I hit a huge lag spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Yeah I may try one of those when all else fails. Thanks

Anyway on a futher update!
    Connection acted up again on my PC, yellow caution sign appeared over my wireless toolbar icon and web pages would not load, immediately I tried my iPod and the net was working perfeclty,
    I am starting to think this may be an issue with the settings on my PC.
    I am using a Belkin wireless N adapter.
    A mate told me to go into my connection on my PC and change the Internet Protocol 4 settings (TCP/IPv4).
    I chaned everything from automatic to these settings:

IP Address: 192.168.0.130
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.254

Primary DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

So far so good, hopefully the connection will keep stable and will stop dropping whenever it feels like it.

Nevermind. Worked for about 20 minutes and I hit a huge lag spike.

You really need to use a wired connection to the router. Wireless is not reliable enough especially if your playing games. Loads of things can interfere with the signal

You really need to use a wired connection to the router. Wireless is not reliable enough especially if your playing games. Loads of things can interfere with the signal

Im trying to eliminate all other options before going wired as I will have to drill a few hole's around the house to get the wire up into my PC.
    Just swapped network adapter to see if it makes things any better, that way I know it could be an adapter problem, testing it at the moment.
    I have been playing games wireless for 3 years with Eircom and didnt have problems like this.
    I have narrowed it down to the fact that its my PC that is the only thing experiencing problems now.
    Just have to figure out why.

Advertisement