Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water getting thru pointing on old stone house

• 04-02-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

My house built in 1918 was renovated in 1998. Left the front wall with limestone exposed. We have applied a sealer to the pointing each year.
    Problem is that during this strong windy weather with heavy rain blowing directly on to the wall I have got water coming in over the top of one of my windows.
    Its not happened before.
    Any Ideas

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

All those houses were built and plastered. Only cut stone was built not to be plastered.

All cement pointing will leak after a time and raised cement pointing invite water into your house. You stand some chance with lime pointing but you would be better off plastering the wall with a lime plaster. I know you love the stone finish and a lime flush pointing could work but the house is supposed to be lime plastered

Advertisement