Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course or City?!

• 04-02-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I had my heart set on Dublin - either of the 3 universities. I'm planning on studying maths or commerce or something along those lines. I saw the NUIG prospective last week and fell in love with the Finance and Economics course. It's everything I'm looking for.. The perfect course so to speak!

Don't know should I go for Dublin (City) or NUIG (Course)? :confused:

Advice?!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What about an Economics and Finance degree, in Dublin - there's one in UCD, not sure if it's what you're looking for though. If you are interested in the financial side of maths you could look at Actuarial and Financial Studies (also called Actuarial Maths, Actuarial Science, etc.) which is in both UCD and DCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

What about an Economics and Finance degree, in Dublin - there's one in UCD, not sure if it's what you're looking for though. If you are interested in the financial side of maths you could look at Actuarial and Financial Studies (also called Actuarial Maths, Actuarial Science, etc.) which is in both UCD and DCU.

Act. Maths in both universities are my #1 and #2, with common entry in DCU being #3... Looked at the Economics and Finance in UCD but it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

I'm reconsidering Actuarial Maths for 2 reasons:
    1) The narrowness. A Maths degree or similar would be much broader and then I could do a 1 year post grad. diploma in Act. Maths from UCD. I'll end up but a broader knowledge and still get exemptions.
    2) Simply put - The points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My advice would be course first, but also to bear location / college in mind, if you don't like where you're studying you're going to find it a lot harder.

Galway may not have all the facilities Dublin has, but it's great old spot, esp. for students / young people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Act. Maths in both universities are my #1 and #2, with common entry in DCU being #3... Looked at the Economics and Finance in UCD but it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

I'm reconsidering Actuarial Maths for 2 reasons:
    1) The narrowness. A Maths degree or similar would be much broader and then I could do a 1 year post grad. diploma in Act. Maths from UCD. I'll end up but a broader knowledge and still get exemptions.
    2) Simply put - The points.

The Maths degree then the HDip in Actuarial Science sounds like a good idea.

As for the points, it isn't too bad to get into it as there are many options.

In previous years, and this year should be the same, UCD was highest (545 in 2010), then DCU (500 in 2010) and then DCU Common Entry (420 in 2010, I think). If you work hard, you should be able to get into one of these - there isn't a huge difference between them.

Note that the Actuarial and Financial Studies course in UCD offers the CT1-8 exemptions as well as the extra CA1 (which isn't offered on the HDip, in Queens or in DCU), but apart from that - they are all reasonably the same. I'm a first year Actuary student in UCD if you ever have any questions :)

I wouldn't rule out a course because of location. Don't worry about going to college alone - the less friends you come with, the more you'll make there. :)

Advertisement