Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with getting warranty replacement

Options
  • 04-02-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Wasn't sure which subsection to put this in, but I figured most posters here would have dealt with RMA at one time or another.

I have an OCZ Dominatrix gaming mouse that has start acting up. It's still under warranty. I contacted them to get an RMA and I got a reply earlier.

They said they no longer manufacture mice, so they're going to replace my mouse with an 8GB USB Flash drive.

Am I at their mercy here as to what they replace it with?
    Fair enough they may have no mouse to replace it with, but I don't want a flash drive (especially one that is worth less than the mouse).

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I don't think this is a clearcut case as your normal consumer rights under the Sales of Goods act applies to the contract between the buyer and retailer, not the manufacturer of the goods.

So unless you bought directly off OCZ, as you have gone directly to the manufacturer under the terms of their warranty what I think would apply here is whatever OCZ have stated under the terms of that warranty.

** Note that what is quoted below are the warranty terms for OCZ flash drives, memory and PSU etc and specifically states that it does not cover gaming peripherals such as mice etc, but the warranty for your mouse may well have a similar clause.

The part I have highlighted in bold is interesting and if your warranty has similar wourding then as a flash drive does not have similar function to a mouse you ought to have grounds for a refund.

You would really have to find a copy of the warranty of the mouse or get them to provide you with one, to see what it says.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/warranty/

Discontinued or Unavailable Products:

OCZ Technology will attempt to replace all products with the same product as originally purchased. In the event OCZ Technology is unable to replace product with the same product purchased, OCZ, at its option will: replace that product with a product of similar function and equal or greater value, or provide a refund at the current value.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

adrenaline wrote: »
    That's if you bought directly from OCZ.

Really? The phrase 'This warranty is valid only for the original purchaser of products purchased from an an authorized OCZ dealer' in the very first paragraph strongly suggest otherwise.

As you can see from this reply by RyderOCZ in the the OCZ forums, the company interpretation of authorized dealer is any legitimate retailer excluding ebay sellers, individual etc. http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-79279.html)

Advertisement