Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Furniture Supplier

• 04-02-2011 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi. <SNIP> stands out in relation to excessive over-pricing and service that equates to extortion. Stay clear!!!
    A relative wanted her suite of furniture re-covered and was quoted Eu2,000! I thought this a bit steep, but she agreed and off went the furniture. She got a phone call a couple of days later to say that the cost would be Eu6,000. OK, so; No-Deal!! Please send back the furniture. Yes, madam, we charge Eu100 transport fee and cannot return your furniture without it!!!

When I heard this, I nearly fell over! We priced a suite of furniture (before this incident) and ended up buying exactly the same for exactly half price, elsewhere!!

I wondered about the negative transaction and felt she was completely cheated and had Eu100 extorted. I have heard of similar stories since!

What horrors can you tell of this establishment????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Quality merchandise, and not the cheapest place, you get what you pay for.

Trebling thr price of the re-cover is ott though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

A 3 piece suite takes about 40 yards to cover, Material could cost €50(you can't just put curtain material on it) so there's €2,000 gone already. Plus new foam, new springs and if it's an old suite then rejoining the suite, and labour involved it could take at least one to 2 weeks to upholster the suite.

What basis was the first price quote priced on? its possible the suite arrived and they discovered that the suite needs a lot more work and time, it could be all buttons and very time consuming.

But there's no suite in Ireland worth €6,000 and I'm sure you could buy one of the same quality for at least half the price. I know a couple if ex-upholsterers who had to quit as then just couldn't compete with the prices of the new.

The €100 charge is probably they has to pay someone to collect the suite and return the suite and they don't want to be out of pocket.

At least they rang to say what the price was before starting work so you didn't get ripped off there and if you collected the suite would you of have to paid the €100 charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Dymo wrote: »

The €100 charge is probably they has to pay someone to collect the suite and return the suite and they don't want to be out of pocket.

At least they rang to say what the price was before starting work so you didn't get ripped off there and if you collected the suite would you of have to paid the €100 charge.

except that he was originally quoted €2,000, so there was at least a verbal agreement to do it for that price

the company moved the goalposts and if they don't want to do the job for 2 grand anymore, they should have to return the furniture for free, even if it leaves them out of pocket

Advertisement