Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice to see a local not getting the job!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I think it could probe pretty successful, and it'll get Beat a truckload of publicity.

With any luck he'll have a men's advice column too...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Jim Beglin might have wanted more money then Andy's €10 an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Some joke in fairness,who wants to listen to him,and how much are they going to pay him, wasn't he on £20.000 a week with sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Some joke in fairness,who wants to listen to him,and how much are they going to pay him, wasn't he on £20.000 a week with sky?

I'd say he'll be cutting prices real soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

He allready dose this with a few stations in the UK, dont listen to Kiddy fm myself but would be different

• Advertisement

He better not be taking Mary o' Neils spot on Sunday morning :mad: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Some joke in fairness, who wants to listen to him, and how much are they going to pay him, wasn't he on £20.000 a week with sky?

You’re right! They were a pain to listen to on Sky!
    He was like 'arry Potter on the screen pulling this clip & that clip out of a bag! At least we'll be spared that torture, or for those at least who would want to listen!

But I wonder how he'll fit into the parallel universe of the politically correct & ever so sensitive world of the ever so camp, Deise AM?
    Or maybe it’s more the case of DeIse AM!

As the great Jimmy Greaves would say ''It's a funny old game''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Foolish move on beats part,can only see negative publicity from it as it will be seen as they condoned his actions and are willing to give an idiot like him a job over some one else.
    Maybe thats what they want though a bit of publicity,its not as if its top of the stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

He better not be taking Mary o' Neils spot on Sunday morning :mad: :rolleyes:

You're joking right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You're joking right?

Any bad talk of Mary will result in a ban :)

• Advertisement

You're joking right?

No im actually serious,when i work on a Sunday she is worth listening too,not great but better than most of the crap on other stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

No im actually serious,when i work on a Sunday she is worth listening too,not great but better than most of the crap on other stations.

Try easy on sunday on WLR ;) banging out the hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I presume this is a syndicated show and there will be dozens of locals stations around UK, Ireland and maybe elsewhere taking the feed.

edit nope I'm wrong here is a much better article

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/andy-gray-in-line-for-job-with-waterford-based-2011-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Your right Mike it wont be just Beat, They allready do this on weekend nights with the dance djs, its a feed broadcast to stations over Europe and the UK, But Beat like to make out they are live in studio in Waterford:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

IMO theres not one "local" that would touch andy gray as far as punditry goes.

tom thum wrote: »
    IMO theres not one "local" that would touch andy gray as far as punditry goes.

You saying there is something wrong with Matt Keane :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

You saying there is something wrong with Matt Keane :D
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FadeStGal

Does anybody else think it is a bad idea for Beat to associate themselves with this guy?

Surely the female listenership wouldn't be too pleased after his sexist (and quite frankly disgraceful) antics over at Sky.

FSG X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

FadeStGal wrote: »
    Does anybody else think it is a bad idea for Beat to associate themselves with this guy?

Surely the female listenership wouldn't be too pleased after his sexist (and quite frankly disgraceful) antics over at Sky.

FSG X

No I don't think it is bad of Beat. While what Andy said was undoubtedly sexist, I think it has been blown out of all proportion and he has been the victim of a terrible double standard. Everyday women get away with similar things about men, and now that I think of it I have heard similar stuff from women about men on Beat itself, and there wasn't a fuss made about it.

FSG X
    His comments, while inappropriate, where said to a colleague while off the air and in my opinion blown well out proportion by everyone. If he wants the job, let him do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Completely blown outta proportion. He is kinda annoying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FadeStGal

His comments were horrendous :eek:

This official was deemed to be incompetent because of her gender. She had obviously qualified for the role the exact same way as her male counterparts.

If anything, he got off lightly. Had it happened in another industry, he wouldn't work again.

Remember, this wasn't an isolated incident. There was also that video which was bordering on sexual harassment. Reason enough for dismissal.

FSG X

His comments were horrendous :eek:

This official was deemed to be incompetent because of her gender. She had obviously qualified for the role the exact same way as her male counterparts.

If anything, he got off lightly. Had it happened in another industry, he wouldn't work again.

Remember, this wasn't an isolated incident. There was also that video which was bordering on sexual harassment. Reason enough for dismissal.

FSG X
    "Deemed to be incompetent"
    It was a football fan commenting on an official. His comments were the exact same as you'd hear anywhere someone was watching the match. Had it happened ON AIR, he wouldnt work again, but you're ignoring the fact he said it to a colleague and a friend while they were off the air. It was then shown around as a "OMG LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAID OMG THATS SOOOOO SEXIST".
    If the official wore glasses and he said "he needs a new pair of glasses", you wouldnt claim he was being offensive to people who wear glasses would you?
    The video you mention was recorded back in December, he was clearly joking around, the woman he said it to clearly didnt take offense to it because she was right there when he said it to her.
    Had it happened in another industry, he'd be brought before HR and made apologise, which is what should have happened. He should have been suspended for a while or given a fine to appease the feminists calling for blood, and he apogised for his comments anyway without having to be made do it officially.

You'd rather he never work in the media again?

You watch one episode of loose women any day of the week and they go on and on about how men are stupid and cant do household jobs right at all, and that only women can do it right apparently.
    Double standards to a riduclous extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You watch one episode of loose women any day of the week and they go on and on about how men are stupid and cant do household jobs right at all, and that only women can do it right apparently.
    Double standards to a riduclous extent.

That's a fair point,

Although you'd have to ask what if Andy Gray said something like "lazy black won't run the line" the fact he was off the air would become irrelivent and you wouldn't see him for dust much like Ron Atkinson.

Double standards is something that really annoys me. Look at Soccr AM granted there is a certain amount of satire involved but the soccerette part of the show is ten times worse then anything Gray said and like Mitch said look at loose women and there will surely be a decent amount of banter that most people wouldn't blink at.

I personally don't think the guy should have been sacked, made issue an apology of course and maybe even give a fine to charity or something.

Advertisement