Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powder in ireland for shooters - from the horses mouth

Options
  • 04-02-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hi guys i have used the shooting furums on boards .ie to look and gauge the situation on black powder reloading in ireland in recent weeks a lot of people had their own ideas on the legality on the whole subject and were uncertain so i took the liberty of e mailing the department of justice and the people who deal with explosives legislation i got talking to a chap there and said i would like to hold legally some b/p only a lb if that even in a safe storage at my local gun dealers as they had in the past i ,ve being told held powder for reinactors basically i asked what the procedure was and how could i apply i was told by this person that they would get back to me within a week so i said fair enough ,i got an e mail today which basically outlined that under the current legislation importation of propellant and holding of it is prohibited but this person at the dept, reassured me new legisation would definitly be in this year 2011 to clear up the grey area and allowances for reloading be introduced they said that there would be moves definitly in the next few months so i,m not dissapointed at all really just glad there is this oppertunity this year to finally engage in a sport i,d always wanted to so i think it was pretty positive;) the only nagging question was why on the dept of justice website there was at all legislation provisions for b/p shooters ( there is tiny bit under explosives act 1875) about storage ,safety , ect when it really is not allowed as of yet hopefully this year will be the year things will start to get moving all the best s.s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

I hope you are right and we all are allowed to reload our own ammo.It would be another hobbie inside shooting if you know what i mean.Plus price wise and accuracy we could only benefit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.............. i got an e mail today which basically outlined that under the current legislation importation of propellant and holding of it is prohibited, but this person at the dept, reassured me new legisation would definitly be in this year 2011 to clear up the grey area ...........

From the Reloading thread 2 weeks ago:
    Ezridax wrote:
    So to possess the propellant used in the rounds you have to have a seperate license issued by the DOJ. These licenses simply are not being issued, and therefore you cannot have or store the propellant. The new explosives Act is currently being reviewed and updated and the propellant and black powder will be covered under this act. Until it is issued the act of reloading stands "stalled". The only exception being the Pilot reloading scheme currently being run in the MNSCI.
    ............. the only nagging question was why on the dept of justice website there was at all legislation provisions for b/p shooters ( there is tiny bit under explosives act 1875) about storage ,safety , ect when it really is not allowed as of yet............

They cannot/will not amend the details on the website until the new legislation is written and signed in.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Lets wait and see shall we??Many a slip twixt cup and a stitch in time!:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

that would be good alright i'd love an awl flintlock myself. the only other problem i see is trying to licence one as it will be restricted under the new stupid laws as it'll be over 7.62 also there are also not that many ranges that'll be able to take .50, .75 caliber rifles. unless of course you get a musket and licence it as a shotgun. this country is backwards i wish they put some time and effort into the new laws instead of trying to just push trough a load of sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Whats the bets, they will make a mess of the new laws as well!

Section 4 of the explosives act 2011

All black powder must be stored in a bucket of water, and only one gram is allowed to be dried (by power of the sun only) at any one time and only in a month with 31 days and when a new moon falls on that month. Said powder must be inspected by no less then 9 Garda before use and the Garda armed unit must be on site as well as 4 fire engines.

This law has been brought to you by the letter H and the colour wobbelyou.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SAKO_FTR

As far as I am aware a request to hold BP under the Explosive Act an application must be made to your district Sup Int. I could be wrong on that. I remember asking a reenactor once and this is the answer I got.
    Importing the powder is an application to the DOJ (currently prohibited to do import) unless the BP is available in Ireland already so you don't have to contact the DOJ.

Interesting times ahead lets hope the allow reloading. a hobby I would really like to do.

Advertisement