Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford General Election 2011: The Great Debate (WIT, Tuesday @ 7pm)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

STIG83 wrote: »
    What the reason the debate been recorded?

So people who missed it can watch it back. The audio will be for the media.

It will go up on the website, Boards, Facebook, Twitter, etc. a couple of days after the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sully wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Not coming ziedth?
    I think he mentioned he would have to head away early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Thanks lads. Not coming ziedth?

OhI will I just don't think I'd ask a question. I had to do presentation once when the place was full and it nearly killed me with worry so public speaking infront of a large crowd is like my kryptonite and Admm is correct in that I might have to head away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Have a few bottles in The Dome before you head over :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

.. looking forward to this later and thanks to Sully and the organisers for making it all happen.

For me it's a shame John Halligan won't be there for the main debate, I'd been looking forward to what he had to say. Someone had suggested that he'd be useless once the focus was on the bigger picture which is a bummer cos I was leaning in his direction but who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

John and Seamus may be arriving late, so fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Now theres to be no nerdiness when the boards.ie gang meet up.. I'll be there with a few friends and I don't want them to hear me talking to people and mentioning being "in" places like Politics and After Hours.

"I was in After Hours but I left straight away.. They're all mad.." etc.

Wheres "After Hours"?? Nightclub?

No.. its an... internet forum..

You were.. in.. an internet forum?

Cue years of slagging and abuse. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Where's best to park for this thing lads?

If say the front car Nkay, afaik it's all free at night but ya shouldn't have that much of an issue finding a spot. Back car park across from enterance to lismore park is biggest but you might find it dodgy finding the debate if you don't know the college.

Trotter wrote: »
    Now theres to be no nerdiness when the boards.ie gang meet up.. I'll be there with a few friends and I don't want them to hear me talking to people and mentioning being "in" places like Politics and After Hours.

"I was in After Hours but I left straight away.. They're all mad.." etc.

Wheres "After Hours"?? Nightclub?

No.. its an... internet forum..

You were.. in.. an internet forum?

Cue years of slagging and abuse. :P

We should have all worn boards tshirts :)

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    We should have all worn boards tshirts :)

Am I the only one wearing one??? :eek: :D

I wonder will this be the largest collection of boardsies in a room without us all being pissed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Where's best to park for this thing lads?

Park in my house and walk ya lazy sod! Just bring the umbrella though....

I wonder will this be the largest collection of boardsies in a room without us all being pissed :)

Good work tonight lads,

I was sorry I had to head before the very end. Decent turn out considering the weather and all. Must say Paudie Coffey impressed me.

Thanks for attending folks, hope you all enjoyed it. We didn't finish until about 09.45 so getting the audio and video sorted is going to take sometime, so bare with us. Not finished yet really, myself and adam have to prepare for media interviews tomorrow and then press releases for general media.

Good crowd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

ziedth wrote: »
    Good work tonight lads,

I was sorry I had to head before the very end. Decent turn out considering the weather and all. Must say Paudie Coffey impressed me.

I agree, to me there were 2 genuine contenders (coffee and cullinane) and 2 pretenders (collery and power). The later two just weren`t at the races. Arguably good move by Halligan as he would have been shown up as much as power.

Well done to Sully and the other organisers, great initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Congratulations to the WIT Political Society (in particular Jennifer for chairing) for holding this well run debate! Turned out to be very engaging, holding people's attention for the duration. All of the participants came out very well, I thought.

I would say all four will rise up in the preferences of those who attended, particularly the less well known candidates, such as Jody Power and Justin Collery. We have more talent running for election in Waterford than we thought -- it's a pity in some ways it wasn't a bigger (televised) forum so that others could make the same discovery.

It's a pity Labour weren't represented, but ultimately, it's their loss. As to Kenneally, does anyone really care? (He's been in for donkey's years already and we haven't heard a word from him.)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lizzyxox08

thanks for a great one tonight! it was a real eye opener.. Coffee and Cullinane stood out a mile and really know what they are talking about!

Well organised aswel !

great job :)

Excellent work lads! I was tryin to get over to say hello but ye were gettin swamped and I was giving lifts to a couple of friends.

My impressions..

Jody Power - Im sure he's a nice fella, but he was very 'airy fairy' about most things. I think his idea of getting people to pay for our university directly was a bit off the wall. There aren't that many pants with arses in them in the South East to put it bluntly.. so I don't see those financiers arriving on their Harleys any day soon. I giggled at his Individual Retirement Account idea.. and so did David Cullinane Im pretty sure :)

David Cullinane - David comes across as a decent sort of chap. I think his heart is in the right place but his party's economic policies are just a bit too far off what I think is possible or correct among other SF objections that I have.

Justin Collery - Justin did well! At first I thought he was going to be a bit preachy to us 'politician loving' types, but his head is well screwed on and he seems highly motivated. He'll get a vote from me, but he'll need to make a hell of a lot of noise to be noticed over the next couple of weeks. He'd do well I think.

Paudie Coffey - I think Paudie may have underestimated the abilities of the microphone to get his volume out there, but none the less he's a strong willed chap. I liked how he pointed out areas where he isnt in agreement with his party and Id have loved to had the cop on/time to ask him would the whip system silence him on issues where he does disagree with the party line. Strong performance from him anyway, and I dont think he'll leave anyone down. Steady as she goes and I think he'll be one of our TDs this time.

Im very disappointed in Brendan Kenneally in not showing up or in not sending a message or a statement at least. I think its wrong for a chap to avoid the people and expect to be re-elected.. although I fear he will.

Im also disappointed that Labour didnt send a candidate or at least a councillor to talk on their behalf, and where was John Halligan?

Again, Well done lads.
    Excellent stuff!

• Advertisement

^ I agree, TBF to collery he came across pretty well I thought but the poor guy hasn't a hope in hell of getting a seat.

Cullinane is always impressive IMHO and I honestly would have watched himself and Coffee spar all night.

Did ya manage to get in the Min wage question? I did appreciate you giving me the oppurtunity to ask it Sully but I stayed a good 40min longer then I intended too and I knew I wouldn't be around for the general Q&A at that point.

Labour were invited, both Ciara and Seamus had other engagements - Seamus said it was a canvass in Portlaw, which he couldn't get out of. Ciara posted on twitter at 6pm that the canvass was finished, and in this weather, I really doubt they did a canvass. So not sure why they didn't attend, they were told and agreed they could come late.

John had a meeting with a Resident Association I believe, so wasn't able to get out of it and I would assume didn't want to arrive late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

that was a refreshing way to spend a Tues. evening. A Boards gathering akin to a masquerade party for some of us.

I can't say I sat there disliking any of the speakers and they all came across as genuine. yea, Paudie and the microphone :p

In many ways it was a relief not to have to look at Kenneally, his smug little face would just have put a damper on the evening for me.

If the lads tonight were forming a government between them, I'd have Coffey & Cullinane in coalition to keep each other on their toes, Power to head up the national think tank and Collery to implement everything with ruthless efficiency.

Cheers to the organisers.

I cant recall all answers but Paudie said they would reverse it in the next budget, probably within a few months of being elected they would have one. While Cullinane said it would be done immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Was at this tonight, Coffey and Cullinane came across very well, Coffey definitlely doesnt need a microphone when he getting a point across.
    Cheers to the organisers

Well done again lads. I really enjoyed it. In fact, I was so engrossed that I forgot to play "spot the Boardsies".

Agree that Jody Power was a bit out there but got a buzz off him all the same. A bit more policy knowledge and political experience and he could be a viable candidate.

Thought Justin did fairly well but thought it strange that he tried to sell himself as the "burn the bondholders" candidate when he had a major party candidate to his left saying that that was their position also. I applaud his thinking on how to find efficiencies in the public sector (empower the managers to find the savings as they would in he private sector) but feel that this is quite naive and can't see it working in our public sector. Did well but a little politically naive. Well-prepared on the topics he wanted to talk about.

I thought David Cullinane came across very well. As I said to Adam at the end; you might not agree with his positions on issues but there can be no doubt that he knows what he's talking about and is very passionate.

I actually think the exact same about Paudie Coffey. I didn't agree with quite a few things he said but I'm confident that if he's elected, he'll be a very strong representative for Waterford. He also seemed to genuinely agree with cross-party co-operation on local issues. Needs to watch the auld volume though!

A great way to spend a night. A good atmosphere with just enough niggle to keep it interesting. Agree that it's disappointing that neither Labour candidate, Kenneally or Halligan showed up as it was certainly a forum where weaknesses would be shown up. Well done again.

Also I presume it was just a case of terminology, but Justin stated a few times that we need a college in Waterford. We have a college. I'm concerned about where I was for 4 years because I told my mother I was going to college. She gives out if she thinks Im telling porkies.

It's a University we're after Justin! :) Fair play to you though, you're an excellent addition to the ballot paper.
    I cant recall all answers but Paudie said they would reverse it in the next budget, probably within a few months of being elected they would have one. While Cullinane said it would be done immediately.

I think they both would have it sorted asap except that Paudie has a better working knowledge of the legislation and procedures needed to do it. It will take a couple of months to sort out within our system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

old gregg wrote: »

In many ways it was a relief not to have to look at Kenneally, his smug little face would just have put a damper on the evening for me.

I agree with you there, every time I see his posters I end up swearing.

Just on the boards.ie poll, Brendan Kenneally has taken a right jump up the list. The FF lads and ladies on boards must have been holding their fire until now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Trotter wrote: »
    Just on the boards.ie poll, Brendan Kenneally has taken a right jump up the list. The FF lads and ladies on boards must have been holding their fire until now!

The only poll on here worth anything,is the take-away one :D,Johnny Walkers is leading now but who knows by Friday anything can happen :)

When will this debate be out on DVD im going mad i missed it :rolleyes:

Advertisement