Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Posts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It's not very nice to know that users are trying to help mods by reporting posts and then those posts, in essence, get ignored.

Eye for an eye 'n all that :rolleyes:

I'm also curious about your eye for an eye reference. It seems out of place.

Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

-Chris- wrote: »
    I'm also curious about your eye for an eye reference. It seems out of place.

Can you elaborate?

Users help the mods out by reporting posts, it's only fair that that user gets some feedback on it to know they did good or helped something, you know?

I mean eye for an eye in the sense that you give and you receive, I just couldn't think of a better way of saying it until now :o

Cool, it sounded more ominous.... :)

Cool, it sounded more ominous.... :)

So you get what I mean about having a forum not unlike the SIGPO one then, would a mod agree with that? :D

Nope!

• Advertisement

Nope!

Damn, thought I was onto something :(

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

So you get what I mean about having a forum not unlike the SIGPO one then, would a mod agree with that? :D
    From a users perspective it would be good but from a mod perspective no.

One reason is because the thread that the reported post creates is frequently used by the mods to discuss the best course of action over a particular post and that resource would no longer be available.

Second reason is that any subsequent reports about the same post are lumped into the same thread to avoid confusion - they would have to be split into individual threads per user and then the mod's workload would be multiplied by the number of reports to reply to.

Third is people have agendas and will report users posts because they are angry or whatever - if they get a reply that no action was required because a mod has looked impartially at a post then they could potentially take up a lot of time trying to argue their case that user x is a muppet and should be banned despite the rules and mods saying otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Says I have a thanked post, but I can't see anything between my last thanked posts between those dates...so in this way I'd only assume it was a post thanked from maybe a year ago or some other time that I can't see.

No indication for me that it was a reported post that was thanked, so I can't assume it was acted on :confused:

Agree with this, this corresponds with the answer I was given when I queried why I occasionally got thanks that I could not 'account for'. Its not a big deal, just a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I've gotten PMs from mods after reporting posts before and very much appreciated the feedback. OTher times yo can tell a mod is responding to your report by what they say on the thread.

99% of the time it won't be neccesary though so I don't think there's much need for a systematic change. I would simply urge mods to send some feedback via PM if it looks like it might be neccesary/appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dragging this up from the other thread (Dammit Ber, I nearly lost a big post! :))
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    But it can appear otherwise, and if some new poster reports 3 or 4 posts and as far as he sees they have been ignored he isnt gonna bother to report any more posts in the future.
    Well you see there's a technical issue here more than anything else.

The question is how? If you report a post, how does boards tell you that the post has been read by a moderator? The moderator can't PM you directly for every reported post, that's not feasible.

Perhaps a "flag" appears on the post which is removed by the moderator when they read it (single click). But then you're flagging reported posts publically, which is not something we really want to do (though I just had an idea, give me a minute).

You can't do it in the form of a PM when a moderator reads the thread; there are multiple mods, and one may read it, but decide that it's not urgent enough to be sorted now (cos they're on mobile or something), and instead leave it for another mod to sort. In that case, you'll get an alert but it appears like nothing has been done.

Likewise, it can't be done on the basis of the reported posts thread; I get reported posts into my email. I usually click on the link in the email rather than look at the reported posts forum.

Right, so back to the idea I had, a proposal;

1. You report a post.
    2. A little red flag appears on that post, which only you can see. The text behind the image is "You have reported this post".
    3. When a moderator looks at the thread, he likewise sees a red flag on any posts which have been reported. Handy at first glance to see what has and hasn't been reported.
    4. If/when the moderator takes action, they click on the little red flag, which turns it green. This tells the user (who reported the post) that it's been looked at, and it also tells other moderators that another mod has taken action.

When a flag is red, other users can still report the post and see the red flag.
    When a flag is green, the user is told that the post has already been seen and dealt with by a moderator, but asks them to PM the moderator if they feel further action is necessary.

Thoughts? Yes, it's a little more work for mods. And there may be red flags unnecessarily all over the place. Personally I think the current system works, but there are communication issues, both between mods and between mods and users.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sorry Seamus. :)

People can take it for granted that a Mod reads all reported posts.
    They automatically get an e-mail when something is reported in their forum.
    CMods also get an e-mail.
    Myself and other Admins read in the Reported Posts Forum regularly.
    It would be a very unusual thing indeed for a reported post not to be read.
    What do you thank exactly? It's a nice idea but if you thank a random post by the user who reported it (s)he's probably not going to know why.

I thank their reported post.

You shouldn't make the reported posts forum visible by everyone, if anything I can see this drastically reducing the likelihood of people reporting posts - well, I would stop if I lost the anonymity of this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Sorry Seamus. :)

People can take it for granted that a Mod reads all reported posts.
    They automatically get an e-mail when something is reported in their forum.
    CMods also get an e-mail.
    Myself and other Admins read in the Reported Posts Forum regularly.
    It would be a very unusual thing indeed for a reported post not to be read.

I thank their reported post.

But unless the person is a mod they won't know you've thanked it...

But unless the person is a mod they won't know you've thanked it...

Is that the end of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well you see it doesn't address the "has the report been seen" issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

You shouldn't make the reported posts forum visible by everyone, if anything I can see this drastically reducing the likelihood of people reporting posts - well, I would stop if I lost the anonymity of this.

on the one hand I understand what you are suggesting and I even agree with it to a degree. On the other though, if a shill post gets reported and 100 users see the report before the mod and those 100 users click to see the reported post and maybe some of them click to see whats being shilled then its just more of an incentive for people to shill.

same goes for insulting posts, political posts, opinion posts. they'll make them deliberately cross the line so they get reported and reach a wider audience than they probably would if just left until the mod sees it him/herself.

There would also be a lot more tit-for-tat reporting and mods would be drawn into sortign that out too hwich would drain mod-time and DRF resources (maybe not much but why keep adding straws?)

By making the reported posts mod only, this issue is removed while the simplicity of the system is maintained.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hardly, but it seems completely pointless to thank a person for taking the trouble to report a post when they can't see the thanks :confused:

Like thanking an ATM :)

seamus wrote: »
    Well you see it doesn't address the "has the report been seen" issue :)

No. But I already addressed that. :p
    Hardly, but it seems completely pointless to thank a person for taking the trouble to report a post when they can't see the thanks

I know they can't see it, but it does add to their thanks count. For some, that's very important!

Hardly, but it seems completely pointless to thank a person for taking the trouble to report a post when they can't see the thanks :confused:

Like thanking an ATM :)

Personally I thank a reported post to show that I've looked into it to save my co-mods starting to action it only to discover that there's no need. Its more a dual use of a system thats already there than anything else.

I haven't had any feedback on my SIGPO-a-like-idea from an Admin...can I get one? :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I haven't had any feedback on my SIGPO-a-like-idea from an Admin...can I get one? :o

Steve's answer pretty much summed up why it wouldn't work.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70539660&postcount=38

Steve's answer pretty much summed up why it wouldn't work.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70539660&postcount=38

What happens when more than one person SIGPO's the same user then...I'm assuming it's the exact same thing so why shouldn't this work?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Probably a database workload type problem. Since the new SIGPO forum came in (seven or eight months ago) 1,226 sigs have been reported. In the same time frame, there have been 1,500 PAGES of reported posts. That's about 30,000 posts reported, some of them as many as 8 or 9 times. I can't imagine what it would take to create your proposed system with those numbers taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If I report a post, thats the end of it. I might notice that action has, or has not been taken, but thats fine, I did my bit.

The thanks idea is nice, but ultimately pointless. I use thanks as a casual way of seeing who is responding to my posts. If I see a thanks that doesn't seem to apply to the last two or three posts then I assume it is something I said a while ago that someone has just spotted. I am not going searching for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

If people want feedback from a reported post, they can PM a mod of the forum for clarity

I agree that a mod can't be expected to reply to every single person who reports, but PM's are two way...

Don't give out if you can't be arsed PMing yourself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Tallon wrote: »
    If people want feedback from a reported post, they can PM a mod of the forum for clarity

I agree that a mod can't be expected to reply to every single person who reports, but PM's are two way...

Don't give out if you can't be arsed PMing yourself!
    I'm about a week behind replying to mod pm's at the moment - stuff got busy in work and keeping the job has to be priority nowadays. :)

It's also the reason they upped the inbox limit to 25,000 for mods :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Steve wrote: »
    I'm about a week behind replying to mod pm's at the moment - stuff got busy in work and keeping the job has to be priority nowadays. :)

It's also the reason they upped the inbox limit to 25,000 for mods :rolleyes: :D
    You always reply to my PM's straight away bbz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Just from a normal's user's point of view. I appreciate how much work the mods do and how it is done voluntarily. I know that anything that makes more work for a mod is probably undesirable. But....

I have reported posts before, but at times I have been unsure whether or not they should have been reported. If there was some system in place that sent an automated pm where a mod could just tick a box with regards to the action.

e.g. Thank you for reporting post by xxxxx in xxx forum on xxx date. The mod has seen this and (the user has recieved an infraction, the user has been banned, the post has been edited, no action has been taken - pm a mod for clarification if necessary etc). This would be an automated PM sent to the person who reported the post.

This would encourage me to report more posts and I think it would actually reduce the number of inappropriate reports as people could understand why a certain course of action would be taken.

I don't have much experience with IT, web development etc but I do realise this would need a lot of development. However I think it would improve boards for all users.

Sorry for bumping this thread, I'm only seeing it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I was once warned that i would be banned from a particular section of Boards if i kept reporting posts despite the fact that every post i reported received an infraction.

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I was once warned that i would be banned from a particular section of Boards if i kept reporting posts despite the fact that every post i reported received an infraction.

really? I cant see any posts reported by you. Can you give me a an idea of how long ago this happened? Feel free to drop it to me by PM so the thread doesnt get derailed any further.

clarified by PM. Thanks Bodhisopha.

Advertisement