Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seasoning your food.

Options
  • 04-02-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I was eating my dinner earlier when someone commented on how much fresh black pepper I used on my food. I also use a few hefty shakes of cayenne on practically everything aswell.

I don't think I can eat anything savoury, without putting a lashing of black pepper/cayenne or both on it. I just love the stuff!

I used to pile loads of salt into everything but my other half was worried about how much I used and suggested I cut back.

I cut salt out all together and seem to have replace that with black pepper and cayenne!

Is there any seasoning or condiment you can't go many meals without?

Is there something you HAVE to have on your chips before you can eat them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Pepper is one of life's culinary luxuries. As far as I know it has no detrimemtal health effects. In the past few years I've really taken to white pepper again for an extra sharp kick.

Porridge & boiled eggs are probably the only things that I don't put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Pepper is one of life's culinary luxuries. As far as I know it has no detrimemtal health effects. In the past few years I've really taken to white pepper again for an extra sharp kick.

Porridge & boiled eggs are probably the only things that I don't put it on.

You don't put pepper on boiled eggs?!

Hill Billy, pepper and eggs is an amazing combo! Crack some black pepper on a soft yolk and you're laughing :)

I thought I'd use up some left over egg whites from last night for an egg white omlette this morning.. Whipped in half a tonne of pepper and a gusty shake of cayenne..

Still tasted like snot. Don't know how people eat egg white omelettes. They're just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

People who only eat the white of an egg really just shouldn't bother. Waste of time!

As for condiments, yeah salt and pepper works on almost anything. Never really had cayenne though, might have to give that a bash.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    People who only eat the white of an egg really just shouldn't bother. Waste of time!

As for condiments, yeah salt and pepper works on almost anything. Never really had cayenne though, might have to give that a bash.

When you do give it a go, unless you like super spicy foods, do be a little light handed on shaking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Lornen, a person after my own heart. Cayenne on everything

• Advertisement

Lornen, a person after my own heart. Cayenne on everything

Seasoning of the Gods.

It's absolutely perfect on everything!

Scrambled eggs,
    Cheese on toast,
    Breaded cod with a wedge of lime,
    Beans,
    Tomato soup,
    Falafel,
    Lasagna
    Shepard's Pie,
    Roast chicken,
    Pork fillets,
    Mashed potatoes,
    On roasted potatoes,
    Carrots and Parsnip mash,
    Peas with chilli flakes and cayenne and black pepper..

I also love cayenne, paprika, salt and fresh cracked black pepper on chips.
    It's a great seasoning and similar to the one you get in Eddie Rockets over your chips :)

Also, lazy awesome snack is toasting a pitta bread, butter it and grind loads of pepper in it. Eat.

Ah-may-zing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Lornen wrote: »
    When you do give it a go, unless you like super spicy foods, do be a little light handed on shaking :)

I will try it on some of the foods you mention and report back. And yes I like spicy food so that's not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I bugs me when people season food before they taste it.

I must say that I would be guilty of that. I put salt & vinegar on chips. Salt & black & white pepper on grilled or fried beef, lamb or pork. Salt with boiled or poached eggs.

I will also add white pepper to just about anything. I don't thing of it as seasoning though - I just love the kick that white pepper adds to pretty much any food.

I must say that I would be guilty of that. I put salt & vinegar on chips. Salt & black & white pepper on grilled or fried beef, lamb or pork. Salt with boiled or poached eggs.

I will also add white pepper to just about anything. I don't thing of it as seasoning though - I just love the kick that white pepper adds to pretty much any food.

White pepper really?

I never use white pepper as all we had as a kid was that super ground black pepper and it didn't taste nice. So when we got a pepper mill I never looked back!

I do have a friend who eats white pepper on their eggs and swears by it to be the best thing going. Must invest in some white pepper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

White pepper really?

I never use white pepper as all we had as a kid was that super ground black pepper and it didn't taste nice. So when we got a pepper mill I never looked back!

I do have a friend who eats white pepper on their eggs and swears by it to be the best thing going. Must invest in some white pepper!

Coincidently I just bought white pepper today. Seemingly its better then black pepper in chinese food.

I loovveee pepper. And vinegar. To me vinegar goes with everything. I have loads of different types and put them on absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Just on the comment about detrimental health effects, isn't the nutritional value of black pepper anyway quite good?!

I'm with you on the pepper buzz anyway, love the stuff, have it on everything! What's the real difference between black and white?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I bugs me when people season food before they taste it.
    Why?
    I know that there isn't enough pepper/vineagar on the food.
    I use a lot of spicy seasonings, and vinegar on everything.

These are seasonings normally used at the table?
    I agree if you said salt, as a lot of people/places cook with salt so you never know if it needs it. But if i'm given a plate of chips, it needs vinegar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 miken5

Hi guys,..
    Taste your food first.
    Season food in moderation.
    Choose only necessary seasoning.
    Use what's on the table
    Reach for seasonings politely.

regards,..

What is 'necessary seasoning'?

miken5 wrote: »
    Hi guys,..
    Taste your food first.
    Season food in moderation.
    Choose only necessary seasoning.
    Use what's on the table
    Reach for seasonings politely.

regards,..

How thoughtful of you!

When did you join boards, mum?

:pac:

Necessary seasoning for me Hill Billy?

As much pepper I can cover something in without choking! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

You don't put pepper on boiled eggs?!

Hill Billy, pepper and eggs is an amazing combo! Crack some black pepper on a soft yolk and you're laughing :)

[/B]

Totally agreed! Freshly ground pepper on any type of eggs - yum!

I do put a lot of pepper on things, but only if it's freshly ground - I don't like the other stuff that much. I have a bad habit of putting soy sauce on certain things also, if they're tasting bland to me. It's pretty nice, but it can be very salty so not as healthy as pepper at all!

Necessary seasoning for me Hill Billy?
    I'm interested to know what miken5 considers necessary seasoning. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I'm interested to know what miken5 considers necessary seasoning. :confused:

I guess they might mean to judiciously apply seasoning with a certain restraint and decorum so as not to offend the cook.

I myself am terrible for using Tabasco with everything.

I don't season my food to try and mask the flavours of the food I am eating. I simply feel cayenne pepper and black pepper go really well with whatever I'm eating. I eat alot of foods that you can play around with. I'm big into my beans and lentils, eggs, poultry and pasta. Reasonably "plain" flavours by nature, so they need a little razzle dazzle :P

I know people have this thing with salt though..

I watch so much "Come Dine With Me" and there was this pig of a woman and she was asking for salt with this really rude tone that made it very obvious the dish was bland.

I think when you make someone something and they attack it with their salt, it's a bit sh*t, but hey! Not my blood pressure! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I don't season my food to try and mask the flavours of the food I am eating. I simply feel cayenne pepper and black pepper go really well with whatever I'm eating. I eat alot of foods that you can play around with. I'm big into my beans and lentils, eggs, poultry and pasta. Reasonably "plain" flavours by nature, so they need a little razzle dazzle :P

I know people have this thing with salt though..

I watch so much "Come Dine With Me" and there was this pig of a woman and she was asking for salt with this really rude tone that made it very obvious the dish was bland.

I think when you make someone something and they attack it with their salt, it's a bit sh*t, but hey! Not my blood pressure! :P

I agree.I watched the same episode and that was well rude.

Advertisement