Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Anyone doing trad irish music as perfromance for music practical?

• 04-02-2011 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm a classical violinist (grade 4 associated board) but over the last few years I've been focusing on fiddle playing (I know its the same instrument blah blah blah etc). I want to do trad as my practical in performing but I have't got a clue as how to figure out which peices out there are up to the standard expected of us?

I know they say grade four standard is expected etc but as far as I'm aware there is no grading system for irish music in that way.
    my standard would be like this guy and something similar to this.

If anyone can help me please reply.
    If you can name pieces feel free to do so, possibly with a link?

Are we expected to play a set or just 6 pieces (i'm doing it as my elective for 50%)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

You have to do a roughly 20 minute performance which includes 6 pieces. Each piece you play would be around 3 minutes long then. I'd say go for a mixture of "pieces" and sets. As in have a set of jigs, a slow air, maybe finish with a set of reels. Fill in the rest with maybe one more stand-alone piece and then sets of whatever you're comfortable with. Im finishing on a set of reels and it seems to be a really good way to end the performance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hkeane

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I was thinking more sets then individual pieces.
    As for finishing on a set of reels, I'd probely do the same.
    Not only are they my best trad pieces but I love playing them.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Good Luck!!

Advertisement