Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing components for gaming PC.

Options
  • 04-02-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody, its my first time building a computer and I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on the components I've ordered. Basically I'm looking for a fairly top of the line machine for gaming that can be overclocked to around 4.0Ghz+ without any problems (I plan on using PCSX2 and Dolphin alot which only use 2 cores and so each core needs to be at a minimum of 4.0Ghz).

I'm looking to spend around €1000 (excluding keyboard, mouse and monitor) but if I order from dabs4work.ie I can claim the VAT back, so its really more like €1200 or so. I think I'm gonna get someone I know who is very handy with computers to help me out with building it, so that shouldn't really be a problem, but I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on my component choices?

Obviously if there are better and cheaper options I've no problems ordering from a site other than Dabs, I just assumed dabs would be cheapest as a result of what basically amounts to 21% off everything. Also I'd like to order by beginning of March at the latest, just as an added bit of info! Thanks!

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3787/snapper1296850105427.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Basically what you want is the i5 2500k like you picked.. They aren't too expensive and can easily be overclocked to 4.5GHz. Unfortunately due to a hardware problem they will be out of stock until mid march. There really is no point ordering the computer until they are back on the market as nothing else comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

the 2500k is socket 1155 wheres that mobo is 1156 so they are not compatible with eachother and since the sandybridge hardware issue is still on going id recommend a phenom x4 or x6 cause most x4's and pretty much all x6's are easy to oc to 4ghz and above will post a shopping cart later =]

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

I know about the Sandybridge issue going on at the moment, but I was hoping that by the time I place my order (so within the month) surely that won't be an issue as the new stock will have the problem fixed no?I'm not quite as gone on the AMD processors, so I'd probably wait it out until I could get the 2500k again.

If you could make up a basket for me that would be great though, as I'm most of all lost when it comes to the motherboard, and what kind of cooler/power supply I'd need for a machine that has an overclocked processor, 8GB of ram and a fairly power intensive GPU. Thanks in advance!

quick question tho are you dead set on that case? i might pick it anyway but if i have to compromise on something to keep the cost on budget it'll probably be that

ok i picked out a 6950 rather than a 570 (which is the better card without a doubt) because the 6950's are easily unlocked to a 6970 =P
    plus it has 2gb or onboard memory plus it's still an insanely fast card if you choose not to unlock it to a 6970.
    did go €10 over budget tho =/
    but it's still a solid build

20isx7r.png

• Advertisement

Thanks IrishMetalHead, don't worry about going €10 over budget, I'll make it stretch! So thats everything I need there then yeah? If theres a cheaper case that still suits my needs then that'd be great, as €120 seems very expensive for a case, and that'd be the best area to cut costs I'd imagine. Edit: As I said, if I can get a better case somewhere else for cheaper I've no problem ordering from there.

Also whats your take on waiting till the Sandybridge problem is fixed, I see they have the 2500k down as "due in 1-2 weeks", does that mean that that will be the fixed stock? Also think I'll pick up this monitor as well if you can provide any feedback: http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/viewsonic-vx2239wm-22--1920-x-1080--full-hd-lcd-tft-with-2ms-vga-dvi-d-hdmi-monitor-77T8.html. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I'm looking to spend around €1000 (excluding keyboard, mouse and monitor)

So you also need an OS ? And I think IrishMetalhead forgot to include a DVD drive in his build

jamescd wrote: »
    So you also need an OS ? And I think IrishMetalhead forgot to include a DVD drive in his build

Nope no OS needed, but yes I do need a DVD drive (actually it needs to be a DVD DL writer as well) but they seem fairly cheap anyways so its not a problem I guess, particularily if I could shave some money off the case. Also one other thing, you mentioned turning the 6950 into a 6970 I've heard that that has caused alot of problems for many people, is that true?

heres one with a dvd-rw and a better motherboard plus a brilliant case for less than the other one

33n9ke1.png

Thats great IrishMetalHead thanks so much, I'd order the damn thing now if I thought I'd get it all sent out at once (the sandybridge problem isn't actually really going to affect me so if I could I'd probably pick it up now) but theres really large differences in when they all are arriving.

For instance for the cooler it says "due date unavailable"! I mean what does that even mean, will it be days before its sent out? Weeks? :mad:

• Advertisement

i'll have a quick look for another psu for you then

id recommend this monitor before that viewsonic one

http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/benq-g2220hd-21-5--widescreen-1920-x-1080-dvi-d-vga-lcd-monitor-5L41.html?refs=52980000-50467

i have that i currently have that one and it's by far the best monitor i ever had
    (btw you may want to buy a dvi-d cable for either monitor as they both don't come with one)

or if you need one with a hdmi input go for this one instead:

http://www.dabs4work.ie/products/benq-v2210-eco-21-5--widescreen-1920-x-1080-hdmi-vga-lcd-monitor-69M7.html?refs=52980000-54430000

Ok so this is my build as it stands now, its slightly over the budget, but it includes a monitor as well so I'm still happy enough with it.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4019/snapper1296930818241.jpg

Only problem is it STILL has 2 things that say "due date unavailable", stupid dabs. Might send them an email and see what kind of time frame we're talking about, and if its not too long I'll just buy it! Thanks so much for your help IrishMetalHead and everyone else who posted, I'll post an update in this topic during the week once I hear back from them.

ffs it said that psu was in stock when i linked it to you >.<
    plus you kind of forgot the ram in that basket =P

Ha, sure what does RAM even do anyways?! :P

It is annoying that theres stuff out of stock, I was trying to make the same (or very similar) basket on komplett.ie as I can still get the VAT back from there as well, but for some reason I can't seem to figure out how to get the prices excluding VAT. It says there should be an option on the bottom left of the prices page, but I haven't been able to find any prices pages!

wouldn't buy from komplett myself since last year there prices sky rocketed completely and now i just find them too dear for a online shop =/
    would you be able to get VAT back of elara.ie swell?

Advertisement