Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucas Application unsuccessful!!

• 04-02-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm repeating this year and i have applied to the ucas again but this year i have been rejected in Coleraine and Manchester. I'm going for optometry. I have 2 sciences and maths (all higher) and I hope to get a AAB in them which meets their requirements. I dont have english this year. Does this effect my application? i got accepted to both of these universities and even visited them both. i just can't believe it to be honest.

My personal statement is pretty much the same. Predicted grades are much better. all thats changed is my school.

Does anyone know why i have been unsuccessful??

Thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

irish_man wrote: »
    Does anyone know why i have been unsuccessful??

You said you had 2 sciences and maths.. For a leaving cert student they'd be looking for at least 5 subjects. For A Level students they'd be just looking for 3 or 4 subjects. If you are just doing the 3 subjects they might not have considered your results from last year.

Or maybe you just weren't what they were looking for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

yea i'm doing six subjects. i don't see how i wouldn't be suitable for the colleges. did lots of work exp. Anyway the statement thing is very flawed and they must realise that. (i'm not saying that mine is bad or that its made up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Did lots of work exp and wear glasses/contacts.

Haha, no offense but I don't think that would make any bit of a difference to them. I don't know much about optometry but I would imagine it is quite high up there with other health sciences (Medicine, Dentistry, Physio etc.) so I wouldn't get to down about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

yea i'm doing six subjects. i don't see how i wouldn't be suitable for the colleges. did lots of work exp and wear glasses/contacts. Anyway the statement thing is very flawed and they must realise that. (i'm not saying that mine is bad or that its made up)

Well maybe it's because you don't have English this year. Ucas are well aware of the way the LC works and might expect you to have one of the core subjects and have 7 subjects.

Wearing glasses has nothing to do with the course. That's like saying 'I wear runners, I should be accepted into a course for PE teaching' or 'I eat, so I should be allowed be a chef'.

Perhaps you think the statement system is flawed because you have been rejected, I bet you weren't saying that last year when you were accepted results pending.

I don't honestly think it's such a bad system. It does to a certain extent weed out people who are unsuitable for the course they are applying to and it gives people a chance who would be suited to a course but not necessarily capable of getting the points for it like in our system.

Advertisement