Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand rifle

Options
  • 04-02-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

lads would you be put off buying a rifle thats 17 years old? im looking at a 243 (dont have too much to spend) thanks for any advise

Comments

jay.b wrote: »
    lads would you be put off buying a rifle thats 17 years old? im looking at a 243 (dont have too much to spend) thanks for any advise

Depends on previous owner and how well it's looked after. What make is it? There's a few factors you'd have to take into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

any idea of the make and model gun dealer i deal with have on his shelf a cz 22 and lets just say its alot older than that and shes **** hot for accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

some 50 years and older old shotguns are making 10's of thousands of euro, so yes you can buy if the gun is good and was looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

My Anschutz match54 .22 is a good bit older than me, it's older even than clivej i'd say:p! and it's still shooting well.

If the rifle has been well looked after and the barrel hasn't been shot out and is in good nick....then you may be able to find a nice deal out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

loads of lads are using rifles like the mosin nagants , swedish mausers and lee enfields that are a hundred years old and more for fun every weekend , 17 years is nothing if its been looked after and maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I owned a 1910 Swedish Mauser that would do sub 1" @200 yards with Lapua Match ammo

Examine the bore, examine the action. Look for excessive wear and a sloppy bolt.

If she still does less than 1" at 100 yards and is cheap as chips go for it!

As for a demonstration of the accuracy at a range

Many Hunting Rifles out there older than that.
    The fathers Rifle is 1964

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Friend of mine bought a remington .270 made in the late 80s .Still shooting as sweet as a nut . Age is not usually an issue , Its usually down to the previous owner/owners and how well they have maintained it . I would not let the age of the rifle put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

thanks lads. rifles a brno kzz 601 (i think) its got a double trigger on it. the stock is a really nice piece of timber but could do with refinishing. some of the bluing is wore off at the muzzle and bolt handle but seems smooth enough. the inside of the barrel looks ok too. price is really good but just need some advise:rolleyes:

thanks lads. rifles a brno kzz 601 (i think) its got a double trigger on it. the stock is a really nice piece of timber but could do with refinishing. some of the bluing is wore off at the muzzle and bolt handle but seems smooth enough. the inside of the barrel looks ok too. price is really good but just need some advise:rolleyes:

My cousin had a very accurate .243 Krico for 15-20 years.
    Blueing will wear, timber will chip, But she will still drop a deer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

17 years old? It's just a baby! I have ammo that's older than that.

I have noticed that some war time guns are more reliable than new ones. I had a Walther P22 that would not put a patch on a War Time P38.

Have a look at the steel. Don't worry about the wood - that's easily replaced.

Are there signs of neglect like pitting? Some wear on the bluing from rub off is to be expected.

I like to shake test my guns. There should be almost no rattling.

Go with your gut and first impressions. Ask the seller a lot of questions, even if you know the answer. Personally, if I do not like the seller, I won't buy whatever they are selling, no matter what the price.

Slan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My Anschutz 1416 is 43 years old and still shoots lovely groups.
    Just one thing, 243 is a hard calibre on barrels and you should check for barrel wear, if it has been used a lot then some barrel wear may be evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

thanks everyone. how do i identify barrel ware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I've a 1941 Lee Enfield and it's very accurate :cool:

thanks everyone. how do i identify barrel ware?

Pitted crown
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/rifle%20pitted/jlarson69/Guns/IMG_0229.jpg

Below damaged rifling

fa64e506e4.jpg

Advertisement