Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1tb hard drive on xbox 360

• 04-02-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey all,

This is a long shot. I've done a lot of searching for a solution, but no luck so far.

So i've a 1TB My Passport Essential SE 2.5 External Hard Drive. This was NTFS drive initially, but now I've formatted it to HFS+ (non-journaled), so I can use it on my mac at work, and my pc running linux.

My problem lies in that it won't show up on my xbox 360. I use this for watching movies and such (I use streaming too, but I prefer not too). Is the drive just too big? I've had no trouble with a 500gb one I have, even though it's formatted to FAT32.

Yea, so basically I'm at loss. I could format it to FAT32, but there'd be awful fragmentation issues. I'll only do that as last resort.

Cheers,

Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It has to be Fat 32 for use on the xbox unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Isn't there a limit of 16gb on storage devices with the Xbox 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

That's only flash drives has the limit. Hard drives there's no limit, just has to be FAT32 unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's all about 1TB drives & 360's - Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's all about 1TB drives & 360's - Link

Not what I'm going for mate. I just want to plug an external hard drive in when I need it. Very impressive mod though!

The 360 does support HFS+ (maybe it has to journaled?).

Has anyone got a 1TB external hard drive working? Even formatted with FAT32?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Not what I'm going for mate. I just want to plug an external hard drive in when I need it. Very impressive mod though!

I have a 0.5TB formatted in Fat32 and working fine for just using for media.
    I was not aware that there would be fragmentation issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Shane,
    I have the exact same 1tb wd passport drive as you which I bought specifically to use with my 360 slim. Just google a utility called Fat32Format. You run this from the command prompt in windows. It will format your drive as fat32 and it then works perfectly on the 360. Takes a good few minutes to format it though. You could also use an old Windows XP boot floppy or usb stick to do the same, but I found this utility the handiest as it works just fine in windows 7. I have not hand any noticeable issues with fragmentation and it's about 50% full. Have not looked into HFS+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

niallon wrote: »
    That's only flash drives has the limit. Hard drives there's no limit, just has to be FAT32 unfortunately

I think to be more precise, any hard drive or flash drive (other than the official drives, or drives that the xbox thinks are official connected via the HDD slot) that you want to connect via USB and use as writable storage (for game saves, DLC, etc.) on the 360 will be limited to having 16GB available. Drives of any capacity with a supported filesystem can be used to play media from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

I don't know if there would be a case with fragmentation issues but would you consider partitioning the drive with disk manager on the mac? Does this affect performance when being read on the xbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

cython wrote: »
    I think to be more precise, any hard drive or flash drive (other than the official drives, or drives that the xbox thinks are official connected via the HDD slot) that you want to connect via USB and use as writable storage (for game saves, DLC, etc.) on the 360 will be limited to having 16GB available. Drives of any capacity with a supported filesystem can be used to play media from.

Is it possible to play avi movies from an external source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

justryan wrote: »
    Is it possible to play avi movies from an external source?

Yes indeed, used to do it all the time until I got a TV that supports USB drives, and has more codecs than the 360. You do need the optional media update though, which requires being connected to XBL the first time you try to play one back.

Advertisement