Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 day old mobo dead?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

Have you checked you don't have a short from the motherboard to the case? Check around where the push outs for the USB connectors are etc.

Are you using an electro-static wristband or similar whilst installing the motherboard?

Just seems unusual that you'd have two mobo failures.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Have you checked you don't have a short from the motherboard to the case? Check around where the push outs for the USB connectors are etc.

Are you using an electro-static wristband or similar whilst installing the motherboard?

Just seems unusual that you'd have two mobo failures.

How can I see if there has been a short? I've never used a wristband, although I've taken every other recommended precaution but it is possible I've done something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

How can I see if there has been a short? I've never used a wristband, although I've taken every other recommended precaution but it is possible I've done something wrong.

Make sure there are no pieces of metal caught in any of the ports at the back of the motherboard, it can sometimes happen when inserting the mobo into the case.

So long as you touch something metal before installing a mobo you should be fine from ESD and avoid wearing synthetic clothing.

Make sure there are no pieces of metal caught in any of the ports at the back of the motherboard, it can sometimes happen when inserting the mobo into the case.

So long as you touch something metal before installing a mobo you should be fine from ESD and avoid wearing synthetic clothing.

The metal façade thing was a bugger to get on. There were no specific instructions in the manual and I bent the little sticky-out bits (hoorah for terminological accuracy!) any which way I could to get them to fit around the various ports. Maybe that's teh problem. Is it best to snip those little bits off?

Actually, I think I put a riser in the wrong place with no corresponding hole above it. Might that be an issue? I only realised it after I'd plugged everything in and didn't want to pull it all apart!

Sorted!

That stray riser was indeed right under the IDE connector and putting it in the right place appears to have resolved the problem :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement