Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A music blog - looking for contributions

Options
  • 04-02-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I started a new blog this month and I'm looking for contributions.

http://mydemotape.wordpress.com

The blog celebrates 'The Demo Tape'. We've all made them, we probably still have some old cassettes somewhere in a box. If you were in a band or somehow connected with a band and would like to contribute you can contact me via the blog. I'll take care of digitizing the tape. I've got a few old tapes from the 1980s which will be going onto the blog in the coming weeks and months. Already I've received some great contributions from friends around the world.

Comments

Great service, but time consuming I presume. May I ask, with all respect, what's in it for you? Why are you offering such a service? I presume there will be no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

No it's not time consuming.

Describe to me how I could possibly make any money out of this? What is it with this place and the cynical responses.

It's a blog. That's all. Nothing controversial. It's not a "service".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Throwing your dummy out of the pram won't get you anyone to help you.

No it's not time consuming.

Describe to me how I could possibly make any money out of this? What is it with this place and the cynical responses.

It's a blog. That's all. Nothing controversial. It's not a "service".

A: I'm the mod of this forum. One of the things I try to do is protect our regular members from getting fleeced. Believe me it happens more than you could imagine. So ione of the things I try to do is gleam as much information when a poster doesn't give it.

B: I thanked your post, my post was not cynical, I praised your service

C: Are you telling me if you got 500-1500 tapes, it wouldn't be time consuming? Seriously, get a grip.

D: Digitising a demo tape to MP3 is a service.

If you're doing this for some altruistic reason, fair play to you, but it's up to me as a mod to make sure there's no catch for our members.

Ok?

Nah. He was being rude. Couldn't wait to jump in and assume there was something untoward going on.

It's a blog for crying out loud, how on earth could anyone jump to the conclusion that there was anything in it ?

Thank you for reinforcing my point.

• Advertisement

No. You were rude. It's not ok.

Don't tell me to "get a grip". You might be a moderator but it does not entitle you to take that tone with me or anyone else.

Again, it's not a service. You're obviously confusing writing a blog with commerce.

Oh, and if you think someone is being rude, please use the report button (report.gif)

I just did. But I doubt anything will come of it.

Can you tell me where in the following is being rude:
    Great service, but time consuming I presume. May I ask, with all respect, what's in it for you? Why are you offering such a service? I presume there will be no charge.

First off I say, Great service as I think it is.
    Secondly I say "but time consuming I presume" a simple polite question.
    Thirdly I say, "may I ask" - can't get more polite than that really
    Fourthly I say, with all respect - not much rudeness there either
    Then: What's in it for you? A simple question. You may have a love of undiscovered music, you may just be interested in discovering lost gems, I don't know as you didn't answer
    Then: Why are you offering such a service? See above for that one
    Then: I presume there will be no charge. Which I presume there won't be judging from your reply:
    Describe to me how I could possibly make any money out of this?

You could charge 1.50 to transfer tape to MP3 and I know a ton of people that would avail of it.

Yours respectfully,

Papa

Addendum: I just realised this is in music, not bands/musicians where I thought it was :o Apologies to all, I get fierce protective over the members of bands/musicians.

No, you don't get it.

There was absolutely nothing in my post which broke any rules of this forum. There was absolutely nothing in my post which indicated there was a service or any attempt to monetise.

The rest came from you. Holding your hands up in the air in mock surprise at the very thought that you could possibly have been wrong doesn't cut it.

Since you need it explained: asking someone 'what's in it for you' is rude. Couching it by using 'respectful' doesn't let you off. It was a cynical response to an honest well intentioned post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, I promised iMADEtheBBC and Papa Smut that I'd review this thread. I've had a read of the thread so here's my take on events:

iMADEtheBBC advertises a blog.
    Papa Smut posts a response intimating that iMADEtheBBC could be looking to make money from this blog.
    iMADEtheBBC takes offence at this.
    Papa Smut takes offence at iMADEtheBBC's response under the mistaken impression that the thread is in the Bands & Musicians forum and that it therefore falls under his remit as moderator of that forum.
    A couple of posts of arguing ensue before this is posted:
    Papa Smut wrote: »
    Addendum: I just realised this is in music, not bands/musicians where I thought it was :o Apologies to all, I get fierce protective over the members of bands/musicians.
    Going by this, iMADEtheBBC hasn't accepted the apology.

People regularly argue on Boards.ie but when someone makes a mistake they don't always realise and apologise for it on-thread. Papa Smut has done just that so I would echo what Scien posted and urge everyone to take a deep breathe and move on.

Lastly I hope the blog works out well!

I'll echo that, hope the blog goes well. If you ever come across a band from the mid 90's called dragonfly where they do a heavy metal/rock version of "Hare Krishna" I would love to hear it again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Papa Smut wrote: »
    ...If you ever come across a band from the mid 90's called dragonfly where they do a heavy metal/rock version of "Hare Krishna" I would love to hear it again!

If we're talking about the same band I remember hearing them play this in Whelans back in the '90s.
    Great tune.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Someone just sent a copy of this EP to me! It still stands up. Great EP.

And thank you, you know who you are :D

Advertisement