Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft Engineering

• 04-02-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Have put this down on my CAO just wondering has anybody any info on it like is it tough, what is the timetable like and what are the job oppertunities when finished?

Any info or links appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

JB. wrote: »
    Have put this down on my CAO just wondering has anybody any info on it like is it tough, what is the timetable like and what are the job oppertunities when finished?

Any info or links appreciated.

Hey JB, Im in third year in Aircraft systems (final year). To answer your questions, I never found it too tough. The first year is fairly oriented around theory and we did subjects which I had done for the leaving like physics and Maths. I cant remember everything that you do in first year but im sure they are shown in the prospectus. What subjects have you picked for the leaving?

The time table is fairly busy compared to most other courses in college. For example my timetable in third year is 29 hours a week. But it is manageable.

Unfortunately the job opportunities in Ireland for Aircraft maintenance are very low. The likely hood is that most graduates would have to emigrate.
    The good thing about the course is it sets you up for a career in design if you are interested. The course has links to Cranfield University in England which is world renowned for its aerospace courses. If you go there, in two more years you could leave with a Masters degree. This is where I will probably be going next year.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Hi OP,
    Just to give you my thoughts, I started in the course September before last so I would be in second year now if I hadn't left. I left because I didn't think the course would really gear me up towards proper hangar aircraft maintenance so I took up an aircraft mechanic apprenticeship instead. Its all very well leaving college after 3 years with a degree but its not much good without the precticle experience to back it up. Of course if you wanted to head down the road of design then it would certainly stand to you!
    I'll be a fully qualified aircraft mech (a licence) this time next year when the lads I started college with will only be half way through 3rd year and won't ever have done any maintenance on a proper commercial jet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BJShea

Lenovo Boy wrote: »
    Its the toughest course you'll ever do. Consider Business/Humanities/Social Care/Waffle instead.

I've been seeing some very disparaging remarks on here when it comes to business courses, etc. This is just uncalled for! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ubtunu2011

BJShea wrote: »
    I've been seeing some very disparaging remarks on here when it comes to business courses, etc. This is just uncalled for! :mad:
    Here here

Advertisement