Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/worst clubs and socs on offer?

Options
  • 04-02-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Just wondering what clubs and societies you love and others that you wouldn't be fond of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i joined the computer society, yes geeky, but i'm doing a geeky degree !!
    I must say, it has been abysmal so far, we had one short but interesting talk from a guest speaker alright last year, thats been it ! I know they do pizza night certain weeks, but Im not interested in that, I have my own kids at home, and they run some linux tutorial's which I dont need.....Not sure what I was expecting when I signed up ! but Its been crap so far !! little or no interaction from the organisers, and the club website hasnt been updated since nov 10,

avoid like the plague !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I've been in the Ultimate Frisbee Club for 2 and a half years and have loved every minute.

If you enjoy running around in the mud/wind/rain while people throw plastic discs at you then come along.

Otherwise a society might be best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

pajunior wrote: »
    I've been in the Ultimate Frisbee Club for 2 and a half years and have loved every minute.

If you enjoy running around in the mud/wind/rain while people throw plastic discs at you then come along.

Otherwise a society might be best :D

Is that you Pat? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've joined Archery. great when I get a chance to go down, but i'm caved away in the office most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Is that you Pat? :P

Sure is mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Outdoor pursuits can be a laugh.

Didn't go on many trips but spend a good while at the climbing wall.
    Must join again now that I say it actually

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

I've heard mixed reviews about the history soc, some say its great others say not a lot happens. How about young fine gael? I have no interest in it but my friend is in and he wrecks my head about joining. Guess no doesn't no to some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

best one iv been in is windsurfing although my real love is for skydiving i just cant afford to do it while im in ireland but that club is pretty cool aswell, they dont have the wicked trips away that the windsurfers do though

id stay away from kayakers and opc but thats just me.

international soc committee seem cool but iv heard bad reports about their trips from international students but id say they are what you make of them yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

PeakOutput wrote: »
    best one iv been in is windsurfing although my real love is for skydiving i just cant afford to do it while im in ireland but that club is pretty cool aswell, they dont have the wicked trips away that the windsurfers do though

Skydive are doing a trip to France at the end of the year.

Also, Cumann Gaelach will be putting on a week of events in week 7. We should be ending the week with a fireworks display.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

iPwnage wrote: »
    i joined the computer society, yes geeky, but i'm doing a geeky degree !!
    I must say, it has been abysmal so far, we had one short but interesting talk from a guest speaker alright last year, thats been it ! I know they do pizza night certain weeks, but Im not interested in that, I have my own kids at home, and they run some linux tutorial's which I dont need.....Not sure what I was expecting when I signed up ! but Its been crap so far !! little or no interaction from the organisers, and the club website hasnt been updated since nov 10

iPwnage, I'm sorry to hear that you have been disappointed.

As the computer society attempts to cater for members with varying technical backgrounds and with different perceptions and expectations with regards to what we do, could let us know what you are interested in so we can attempt to organise more relevant activities. You can send the committee an email, send us a message via www.registercs.ul.ie drop us a letter in our cubby hole in the C&S office, leave a message on IRC, or you can pm me here.
    We have a General Meeting on this Wednesday, the 9th at 7pm in the Students' Union if you wish let us know what you're interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

PeakOutput wrote: »

id stay away from kayakers and opc but thats just me.

international soc committee seem cool but iv heard bad reports about their trips from international students but id say they are what you make of them yourself

Why do you advise to stay away from the Kayakers and OPC? I'm just curious, as you gave reasons for the other groups being good or bad.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

NewShoes wrote: »
    Why do you advise to stay away from the Kayakers and OPC? I'm just curious, as you gave reasons for the other groups being good or bad.

:-)

i dont want to insult anyone but by all means give them a shot kayaking is fun and so is rock climbing and hiking and all that jazz so give them a go

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

24.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

mulner92 wrote: »
    I've heard mixed reviews about the history soc, some say its great others say not a lot happens. How about young fine gael? I have no interest in it but my friend is in and he wrecks my head about joining. Guess no doesn't no to some people!

I'm curious to what goes on in history soc .... is it
    informal chats;
    or presentations now and then;
    or is it give a topic for next week say, and go look into that and come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Music Soc won the best society last year and its a popular one. The only catch is that its very cliquey so it can be intimidating for new members to join. Also its not so much a music society as a rock music society so if you don't play guitar bass or drums or have an interest in alternative music you'll probably won't get much out of it.

Having said that the guys running it work tirelessly to organise gigs and events and they really put their heart and soul into it. There's something on almost every week so if you want a society thats active it could be one to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Mountain biking is excellent craic. It's nice and laid back (we don't wear lycra [much])and we don't get huge crowds going on every spin so it's very easy to get to know people. We go for 1 or 2 spins every week and we meet for pizza in the scholars every monday. You don't need your own bike to come out with us, as the club has several bikes (and helmets and gloves) you can borrow. All you really need are some clothes you don't mind getting muddy and bag to carry water and wine gums.

Last semester we went on 2 weekend trips away to killarney and wicklow and we're going to Les Gets in france for 10 days in the summer (naturally all trips away involve significant amounts of drinking and carousing :pac:). I think there's currently 16 people paid up for france, and the general consensus is that it's going to be unreal :D

Fro anyone who deosn't know much about mountain biking, here's a cool video of some people who are rather good at it:

..and here's one made by an MBUL member on last year's trip to france:

Those videos are both of downhill biking, we do loads of less intense stuff and more scenic spins aswell. We went to the burren in clare on our sunday spin a couple of weeks ago on an absolutely perfect day and the views were fairly spectacular. If you search for MBUL on youtube or go on our facebook page there's a few other videos floating around.

For anyone who thinks they're unfit or they'd be bad at it or they're too old or too young or anything else, we all were once and nobody in the club has any problems waiting for people to catch up or helping them learn the ropes so I'd really encourage to people to at least give it a try. I just joined this year, having had basically no previous experience of mountain biking, and I've gotten a lot fitter and faster. If anyone is interested in joining or wants any more info feel free to ask on our forum or ask me if you want :)

Advertisement