Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

u-value

• 04-02-2011 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

in construction studies mock our teacher has told us its on it but he hasnt thought us it yet and said we need to look over it ourselves could anyone tell me what to do to work it out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Are you doing the higher paper? Have a look at Question 5(a) from last years exam. The marking scheme on www.examinations.ie gives the formulae and the table you need to remember before you plug in the numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭kildareman09

yeah i am would the formula be in log tables or is it 1 you have to learn off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

would the formula be in log tables

page 58

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Remember to write down the measurements in metres e.g if it says 100mm outer leaf then it's 0.1 or say 65mm insulation it's 0.065.

Always double check the figures, I usually mess up with this part and it's silly marks to throw away.

Don't panic with the second part of the question, it's a lot easier than it seems and is almost the same lay out. I can't remember the exact lay out because I'm away from home but like the post above you should find it on the marking schemes.

It just takes practise and is really easy to get the marks.

For the last part (C) it usually asks how to improve the u-value so learning the different methods e.g pumping the cavity, dry lining or strapping insulation to the outside cavity. A diagram and a few good notes on the method will be enough for full marks.

Sometimes they ask about thermal mass. I'm not the best at explaining it but during the day concrete floors and walls absorb heat and then during the night it releases this heat. Check your book for a better explanation!

Get onto your teacher after the mocks to go over it, stupid for him not too since its asked every year. Then practise even just once a week and you'll be set for June.

Best of luck!

Advertisement