Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxford Allen Power Scythe

• 04-02-2011 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/moms/mom14-as.htm

The more I read about these "beasts", the more I begin to like them. My aunt has one in questionable repair in one of her sheds. I know the sisters boyfriend is interested in it, hmm.

Does anyone have one? Have any of ye used one?

Seems like they're awkward to drive?

One particular report had me in stitches. An English guy in France cutting meter high grass:

"The scythe cut well but the grass was so long it just fell over the scythe and it was like a mini haystack trundling along and I had difficulty in preventing it from escaping into the undergrowth."

Fantastic! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

would be handier than a strimmer under the electric fence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I reckon it'd do that job OK ya know. I wouldn't mind giving one a go for the craic, be a nice old yoke to have around the place if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I have used a more modern version, borrowed off a neighbour. It looked more like this http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/CASTEL_Tellus_87B_Scythe_Sickle_Bar_Mower.html

The modern version has a device like a plough's mould-board, and a vibrating rubber band down the centre ridge, which keeps grass from accumulating.

You have to be able to hand-sharpen the moving bar, and even change a section occasionally but it is a powerful machine - it zooms right through the heaviest of grass, rushes, even very light willows!

A lot of people use them for wildflower meadows, which are mowed once a year.

LostCovey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I have seen modern versions used in Austria to mow steep pastures and are a lot more civilised than strimmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Had one when I was a kid, came with the farm my folks bought, remember it was a bitch to start and later would never start.

• Advertisement

There's quite a price difference between the OAPS (ha!) and the newer types. I'm sure the new ones are more user friendly though. There are lots of clips on YouTube about them, probably restoration projects, parts are still available too. Nice bit of history. After busting the brushcutter, maybe this dinosaur is the answer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭andyh85

Just out of interst, did you ever do anything with it? I recently purchased a barford grantham version of one with a villiers engine, its all their but the engine needs to be got going. did you restore your aunts one????

andyh85 wrote: »
    Just out of interst, did you ever do anything with it? I recently purchased a barford grantham version of one with a villiers engine, its all their but the engine needs to be got going. did you restore your aunts one????

When I went looking for it again I found that my sisters boyfriend had already swept it! Mind you he did get it working but said it was a cast iron bitch to use.

johngalway wrote: »
    When I went looking for it again I found that my sisters boyfriend had already swept it! Mind you he did get it working but said it was a cast iron bitch to use.

i just want to get mine running and restore it for vintage shows, somethin to be doing in the evenings!!!and add to the collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

I looked at one of these a while back and had a trial with it. I didn't go ahead and buy it - found it heavy and cumbersome and it needs a lot of looking after - blades need sharpeing, have to be careful of big stones, stumps etc. In the end I bought a DR wheeled trimmer -
    http://www.drproducts.co.uk/Category/wheeled-trimmers.aspx

I got the DR Pro - for a lot less than the list price! It's a great machine - will tackle anything and you can also change the nylon cutting line for a small circular saw if you need to deal with a lot of scrubby bushes. I have two of them - one at the place in Co. Monaghan and one back home in the UK. Never had any problem with either of them. They'll deal with rough grass, thistles, rushes etc up to your waist and you can vary the cutting height from about 2 inches up to about 6 inches.
    Maybe a bit pricy but you can get good bargains from time to time and they do great job.

George

The one i have is circa 1950 so its not going to be realy used, just braught to vintage shows, although theirs a nearly new set of blades with it and its in very good cosmetic condition. if i can get the engine running, it will be blasted, re-sprayed and new emblems and plates on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

The have been used for years and still are used in alpine regions for cutting hay and grain where it is too steep to use tractors. There is nothing to beat them and if you have rocky or unclaimed ground you can get a harvest with these machines also called finger bar mowers.

Advertisement