Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1 stale ?

• 04-02-2011 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I dont know about you but i think RTE Radio 1 has got very stale, take joe duffy for example liveline used to be my favourite comedy on the radio but not anymore duffy sounds board everyday making his stupid puns, you can tell he doesnt care anymore, also what is the point of Ronan collins coming in everyday and playing about 7 and a half records?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Joe Duffy is a ******.

There i said it.

A ******.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Agreed. Used to listen the whole time. Now I just catch the first half hour of Pat Kenny before he descends into a cooking show...cooking on the radio ffs. :rolleyes:

Now newstalk and matt cooper are my mainstays...oh and liveline, but thats just for the self-masochist in me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

John Murray is awful at that show.. He's a nice guy, and I thought he would be better but he's awful... He tries WAAAY to hard to be funny, and it comes across as be cringeworthy every time..

First hour of Kenny is still solid, second hour is what Tele said..

I make a dive for the radio every time I hear that HORRIBLE intro for Ronan Collins' show.. it has no place on a contemporary Radio One.. Even Creedon back there would be better..

Sean O'Rourke is excellent on Radio One.. fresh, upbeat and gutsy..

Joe Duffy.. RTE are afraid to take on the serious topics these days.. the show descends in to the same petty issues every day.. Seems to me like the RTE solicitors are running liveline at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

barryd09 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is a ******.

There i said it.

A ******.

Abusive term removed & user banned for 2 days. Read the bloody charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Re Pat Kenny - I hadn't really copped about the post 11 switch to "lifestyle and music" filler but yep thinking about it thats whats happened. Clearly they are slacking unless they did some secret polling and discovered listeners can't cope with two hours of current affairs based discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

If i was in charge this is how i would have RTE radio 1s weekday lineup, 6-9am morning ireland, 9AM-12PM pat kenny, 12PM-1.30PM lunchtime news sean o rourke, 1.30PM-4PM mooney. 4PM-7PM drivetime mary wilson, 7PM-9PM sports program, 9PM-11PM late night talk show. 11PM-midnight arts program.

Tapes wrote: »
    If i was in charge this is how i would have RTE radio 1s weekday lineup, 6-9am morning ireland, 9AM-12PM pat kenny, 12PM-1.30PM lunchtime news sean o rourke, 1.30PM-4PM mooney. 4PM-7PM drivetime mary wilson, 7PM-9PM sports program, 9PM-11PM late night talk show. 11PM-midnight arts program.

No!....Noo!!....NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

RTE 1 Radio is indeed dumbing down and going extremely tabloid..

In grave danger of becoming a 'nothing' station, neither fish nor fowl and falling between the cracks.

What in the name of jaysus is live music doing on the Pat Kenny show.:confused:
    I'm sure a lot of posters here have noticed the shift to 'reality' type inserts in almost all the shows now.

A lady with issues riding a bike recently had The foghorn-voiced Donoghue on Mooney battering my eardrums for days

'Riding a frikken bike' You couldn't make it up.

Any chance that one Donohue would go the way of the foghorns on the Irish coast I wonder:cool:

That looks like the schedule from very boring hell. Take a look at the BBC Radio 4 line up and go "wow" at its diversity.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    That looks like the schedule from very boring hell. Take a look at the BBC Radio 4 line up and go "wow" at its diversity.

Three hours of Pat, imagine it!! :(

We can barely get one decent hour as it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

2 hours of sport from 7PM-9PM instead of the frequently excellent "Arena". No thanks!

Sport seems to make an appearance every half an hour. I heard someone (Pat K. I think) interrupt an interview to read the draw for some European Cup quarter-final that didn't even have an Irish team involved.

More of Pat Kenny and less of Mary Wilson please
    mike65 wrote: »
    Take a look at the BBC Radio 4 line up and go "wow" at its diversity.

I agree! BBC R4 should be an example for Radio1. I often think RTE should buy some of their programmes from R4, especially documentaries and dramas. R4 does a surprising number of dramas with an Irish dimension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

No Liveline? Surely that's Radio 1's most listened to show...

I agree! BBC R4 should be an example for Radio1. I often think RTE should buy some of their programmes from R4, especially documentaries and dramas. R4 does a surprising number of dramas with an Irish dimension.

I'll be honest and say I don't tend to listen to plays (I caught the end of what sounded a facinating one about Raymond Chandler in Hollywood last week (Double Jeopardy) and it reminded me I should check more often) but it would not surprise me if plenty of Irish writers didn't submit work as outlets on Irish radio are so few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

For many years now, it has the feeling of a station that has it hands tied by the State and other small interests, thus making it very unoriginal, non controversial, and far too middle of the road as a result.

Liveline, which apparently gives a voice to the voiceless, is a programme where I think most people have copped on by now to how selective Joe and the crew are about what subjects are discussed (Sonny Knowles anyone?). More anger from Joe towards headshop owners, than say pyramid scheme bankers - says it all.

Same with the likes of Marian Finucane and Mary Wilson letting their egos takeover the shows.

There is a reason too why the heavyweight polticians too appear more often on RTE, than say NewsTalk or TODAY FM, and it is not a positive one.

The station has two choices - radically reinvent itself, or cease to exist while the commercial sector fails to get complacement.

In fairness the issues of providing balance which RTE must do, mitigates against them becoming anywhere near the edge.

Also RTE1 is aimed at a more affluent and informed audience,and spans a larger age parameter.

Therefore it kinda stands to reason their content would reflect more of the 'establishment' view than other viewpoints.

I would respectfully surmise that a very small percentage of core RTE1 listeners were upset at the closure of headshops and the attitude of the Dufficer on Liveline.No great deal of sympathy there one would feel.

You gotta play to your audience sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Also RTE1 is aimed at a more affluent and informed audience,and spans a larger age parameter.

You're not a big lsitener of Joe then

ntlbell wrote: »
    You're not a big lsitener of Joe then

I'm not great on the cryptic stuff, perhaps you better explain that one horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm not great on the cryptic stuff, perhaps you better explain that one horse.

don't think LL is aimed at the cognoscenti flutt ;)

tbh wrote: »
    don't think LL is aimed at the cognoscenti flutt ;)

Indeed Teeebs ,sound observation, however the aficionados and ABC listeners like ourselves, can sometimes glean from its content the pertinent issues of the proletariat.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

In fairness the issues of providing balance which RTE must do, mitigates against them becoming anywhere near the edge.

And they give us Claire Byrne on the late debate --- FFS:(

dh0661 wrote: »
    And they give us Claire Byrne on the late debate --- FFS:(

I don't think RTE agree with the fluts assement of the RTE listenership :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

what is the point of Ronan collins coming in everyday and playing about 7 and a half records?

And indeed what is the point of Ronan Collins?

I think Ronan's contract should NOT be renewed. There are loads of better music presenters out there - some local radio DJs are vastly superior to Ronan. RTE Radio needs to raise its game bigtime.

I don't think RTE agree with the fluts assement of the RTE listenership :)

Were you trying to make a point or something......

Were you trying to make a point or something......

maybe you're afluent and more informed comment was tongue and cheek.

If not, you don't "dumb down" your schedule by apointing presenters like clare byrne who's more suited to xspose or spin 103 to shows like the late debate if you assume your audience is informed.

But since you have missed the point twice I can only assume it's working :)

maybe you're afluent and more informed comment was tongue and cheek.

If not, you don't "dumb down" your schedule by apointing presenters like clare byrne who's more suited to xspose or spin 103 to shows like the late debate if you assume your audience is informed.

But since you have missed the point twice I can only assume it's working :)

Aaah..... sorry NT, didn't realise you didn't like Clare.She wouldn't be my choice either, but as I know little about her I will keep my powder dry for the moment.

Heard a few of her 'Late debates' and well, let's say she comes across as a bit cardboardy, if that's a real word.

Wouldn't be too hung up on her though.

Did she do anything personal to you, or are ye just incompatible.?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

bureau2009 wrote: »
    And indeed what is the point of Ronan Collins?

I think Ronan's contract should NOT be renewed. There are loads of better music presenters out there - some local radio DJs are vastly superior to Ronan. RTE Radio needs to raise its game bigtime.

Doing your bit trying to have someone lose their job. Good man yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Doing your bit trying to have someone lose their job. Good man yourself.

I know what you mean derry. The way these papers are hounding Brian Cowen in these days of mass unemployment makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

John Murray is awful at that show.. He's a nice guy, and I thought he would be better but he's awful... He tries WAAAY to hard to be funny, and it comes across as be cringeworthy every time..

my thought exactly, his show is shockingly bad anytime i have to listen to it. They should have just left Kathyrn Thomas in this slot as she was really good when filling in at various times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Bard wrote: »
    No Liveline? Surely that's Radio 1's most listened to show...

Liveline has become a parody of itself, I think it at least really needs an new presenter.

Advertisement