Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Grooming Part Time Job Wanted

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently studying Pet Grooming through Kilroy College. I am living in the Galway area, and am looking for a part time job in Pet Grooming, maybe 2 or 3 days a week. I would love to get some hands on experience. I come from a farming background and have a lot of experience dealing with animals. I have many dogs myself and really do love them.

Would really love to get some experience and learn from the pros who know best.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

hi aero i did a small course in it myself, the best way to get experience is to enquire at larger grooming places like the ones at vet clinics etc. i'd say it'd be voluntary though. the lady i learnt from owned a dog groomers and they took on people looking to learn on the job. some people chose to do it for 2 weeks and some for a month but you had to pay for it, they provided all the tools and shampoo etc and taught you while they worked. its pricey but she was a good teacher who took her time.
    you could also volunteer to groom dogs at a local dog/pet rescue 1 or 2 days a week - or a few hours a day or whatever suits you both.

the only thing i can suggest is you ask them first if they have part time work and what qualifications they want - some will insist on accredited courses in animal care or veterinary nursing but some wont. so you just have to see.

good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aero28

Thank you Aishae, thats some good info....i'll look into doing something like that. How are you getting on nowadays with what you were thought? Did you enjoy it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i mainly wanted to learn as i have two dogs, love animals and wanted something to do of an evening. i didn't pursue a career in it but i save on grooming bills as i can strip my own jack russell's coat etc. the jack russell / pommeranian cross doesnt need much but the odd slick of a rubber brush keeps her shiny.
    knowing how i can empty anal glands will save on the odd trip to the vet (they always cost more than 40) and i keep their ears clean.
    so it was beneficial in that way. i do have the odd friend that sends their dog my way when they need a wash or a bit of a trim. although ive yet to meet a dog that will allow me to use the clippers on their paws. i have a tiny one for small areas. my aunts dog had feet like feather dusters, i had to wait till she fell asleep and every time she rolled over id do another paw!

i enjoyed the classes - got to meet everyone's dogs. the teacher was great making sure we all got a go at doing whatever she was teaching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pedro001

Hi,

I also have done a course in pet grooming. I finished my course last year and I am looking for a nice place to start my career in pet grooming. I am staying in the Furbo area.

Advertisement