Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing bearings ??

• 04-02-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi all,i live in dublin and could anybody recomend a place to get my bearings changed on my trailer,is it expensive,,thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Any car mechanic will be able to do it for you for a few quid.
    It's not a big job and I am sure you would be able to do it yourself, If you want to give it a go I will help each step of the way and source the new bearings for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 terryjo

thanks for getting back so quick fergal,how would i start to find out which type or model i need,i was looking at the boat you built out your back garden,,,,very nice,you must a be pretty handy allrounder

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you have a photo it may help, do you think the trailer was home made with a car axle or is it factory made like a galvanised indespension trailer.

its definately a homemade trailer,i painted it up and put new trailer light board on it,i think it needs a new winch aswel,i will try and get a photo up asap,thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

you'll get the bearings here: http://www.dicksonbearings.ie/

Very helpful staff and good service. Need to get the right size - easiest if you take the old bearings off and bring them in.

• Advertisement

ok thanks bob for your info,will give it a go this week
    fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

If you don't have somebody to show you how it's done have a look at this before you start:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9WdVdaLVQE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

hi guys.
    I won't make a new thread.

I just got advice to check my bearings in my new trailer (in "launching 17" sheelin").

Just opened it and found few odd things which i need advice on:
    while right wheel looks fine:

left one seems to be little croocked

does that matter? how to fix it?

btw how to remove inner bearing?:

ps for some reason it won't display my photos they are here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/marcingooralski/Bearings#

It looks like your axle is out of line on one side,if you look under the trailer where the axel joins to the frame you might see where the u-bolt has moved,just loosen it off and knock it back into place.
    Your bearings look very dry and pitted so I would replace them, if you can't knock it off by tapping the inner part of the bearing from behind after spraying with WD40 see if you can get a loan of a bearing puller. If you still can't get it off break the outer casing with a chisel and then cut the inner casing with a angle grinder 3/4 of the way through being careful not to cut the shaft and then hit with the chisel it should move or break.

Best of luck.

>It looks like your axle is out of line on one side,if you look under the trailer >where the axel joins to the frame you might see where the u-bolt has >moved,just loosen it off and knock it back into place.

uu thanks but will be hard without removing boat ;)

>Your bearings look very dry and pitted so I would replace them

pictures were taken after washing - entire hub was filled with rusty colour grease. I'm on my way to buy new bearings, grease etc. now (in this place in Finglas).
    thank you very much for quick answers.

PS for bearings which could get immersed in water they are less than poorly sealed... ;/
    double lip cartridge ones (with additional seals outside) would be better I think...

• Advertisement

Once the hubs are fully packed with grease it should keep the water out. I give mine a pump of a grease gun after every trip just to force out any water that may have got into the hub.:)

you'll get the bearings here: http://www.dicksonbearings.ie/

Very helpful staff and good service. Need to get the right size - easiest if you take the old bearings off and bring them in.

I would recomend to extract races from hub (i brought hub with unextracted races+ rest of bearing and got wrong bearings - so paid 40e for beraings and around second 40 for fuel and m50 toll ;/

Ouch, they might replace them for you. Some times there is a number on the races or they will use a calipers to measure it.

I have some questions about "bearing savers" and general boat launching.
    I used bearings found in dicksonbearing along with grease and grease gun purchased there. But finding them not great - I mean i have to replace grease every time I'm launching my boat (After few seconds in water all grease is running, and water (not just old grease) will come out through this little hole in hub cap when new grease is being pumped in.
    I went to indespension to buy "bearing savers" but they said that they are not doing the job on a hub without brakes as some water will come in through inside seal :
    DSCF0408.JPG

+ grease at pressure will push this seal and all the grease will escape from hub as it does now:
    DSCF0691.JPG
    you can see grease all over the place...
    So he suggested something to hold internal bearing seal in first place then to install bearing saver instead of outer seal/hub cup.

So far i found some big washers in indespension but haven't try them yet, as I'm not sure is this good idea to put something in there.

Are you using marine grease, you might be pumping in too much and popping the seals, you only need to fill it so there is negative pressure and that should keep the water out.
    Just a tip let the wheels cool down after a long drive before you back into the water.:)

I'm not using marine grease as guys in dickson said that ANY grease they sell will do the job (they knew purpouse). at the moment I'm using entire tube of grease every 5-7 launchings.
    After retrieving boat i'm pumping grease till thick new one will come through this little hole in the cap (sometimes it is poping the cup so i started to remove it and get rid of some watery grease first of all and then put it back on and pump fresh stuff in.
    And just started to think - am i doing sth stupid or no one else pay attention to trailer bearings? (as watery grease is certainly wrong thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Don't mean to butt in but

Fergal,

Where do you purchase your marine grease if you don't mind me asking? MPD? I have trouble trying to find some GOOD marine grease adn I think Marcing is too.

breghall wrote: »
    Don't mean to butt in but

Fergal,

Where do you purchase your marine grease if you don't mind me asking? MPD? I have trouble trying to find some GOOD marine grease adn I think Marcing is too.

Yep MPD http://www.marineparts.ie/boats-and-motors/engine-maintenance/lubricants/lubrimatic-marine-grease.html

fergal.b wrote: »
    It looks like your axle is out of line on one side,if you look under the trailer where the axel joins to the frame you might see where the u-bolt has moved,just loosen it off and knock it back into place.

took whole thing apart and found less expected....
    Holes in the frame of the trailer aren't in line with frame so looks like suspension is fine just someone drilled holes 3 minutes before lunch and didn't bother to use jig....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Sgg41GofaNo/TsZ2zBaP5mI/AAAAAAAAAR0/ucR6MlKSM0s/s576/P1000257.JPG

left hole on the bottom of the picture is so close to the L beam that you can't even use spanner on it... while right one has few mm clearance...
    After few minutes i dropped idea of re-drilling holes with 12mm drill (they are 10mm now) and thought about using M8 bolts instead of M10 existing - it will give me room necessary to shift suspension box without alternating it. (in future i may want to weld a plate over the top of trailer arm and then re-drill it with 10mm drill to make it perfect. In my opinion 6 M8 bolts is still more than enough to support wheel but i would like to see what others think).

Could you line it up and then drill a new 10mm hole on each side in between the other holes tighten up the 10mm bolts and then put in the 8mm bolts, that should stop it from moving.

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    Could you line it up and then drill a new 10mm hole on each side in between the other holes tighten up the 10mm bolts and then put in the 8mm bolts, that should stop it from moving.

yes this is my idea (after close look at the washers of m8 bolts - pretty bent already). I used step drill (thank you aldi ;P and made susp box holes 12 to even more room to adjust it.
    Shifted it as far as i could but it still doesn't look straight enough (but if they managed to drill it not straight who knows how is this welded? ;) but it is too dark already anyway.
    I will take it for short spin tomorrow to see how it is behaving while towed and reversed. Ps also managed to snap off one of hub bots (what is it m12? bare hand with spanner around 20-30cm long!?) hope it is replaceable not welded to hub... i really have no luck with this boat......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Sheelin boats make a lot of their own trailers, especially for the lake boats. Provided it's not fairly old the trailer likely has 500kg standard Indespension suspension units and hubs. While it's true the bearing savers do work a lot better on braked hubs (for marine use the hub will have an additional seal behind the inner bearing) they are still effective on unbraked hubs.

The quality of grease is important as low quality stuff will heat up too quickly and just run out but I reckon the skewed unit might be causing excessive heat to build up.

Couldnt say how much Dicksons charge but the correct Indespension bearings cost around €12 plus vat per hub

Advertisement