Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of students with highest LC points

• 04-02-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a list or a way of finding out the students with the highest Leaving Cert points in the country from the years 1988 to 2005.

Any tips help etc appreciated.

Regards

HPMan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

I don't know if you can but probably through the media as they usually publish a article on the highest points achievers every year.

Why do you want to know? I'm nosey :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

As said, your best bet would probably be checking the archives of the national papers and probably some local papers, however I doubt such a list is kept officially. Specific people's Leaving Cert results and details like that wouldn't be released by the SEC to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Last year a friend of mine got 600 points, but that was only published in the local paper, as I imagine most others who get 600 are. I doubt you'll be able to look at every local paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

HPMan1 wrote: »

I'm trying to find a list or a way of finding out the students with the highest Leaving Cert points in the country from the years 1988 to 2005.

Lots of people get maximum points in the leaving cert every year. Last year 136 people got 600 points

http://www2.cao.ie/app_scoring/points_stats/LC10PTS.pdf

Are you looking for the person with the most A1s? Even if you did a search of the national papers the day after the leaving cert results came out every year 88 to 05 and found a person with 11As, there could be someone who ended up with 12As in October after appeal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are also people who get their 600 points (or all A1s or whatever) and don't feel the need to let the papers broadcast it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I can off hand think of at least three people close to me who got maximum points and it was published nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My sisters best friend got 600 Points with 7 A1's and it didn't even make the local paper/community notes.. Looks like you might be on a wild goose chase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

HPMan1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any tips help etc appreciated.

Regards

HPMan

The question that springs to mind is: why?

It'd be a pretty big list of names, by the way. Over the last ten years, there are typically between 100 and 200 people each year who get 600 points. In the 90's, it was typically less than 100. Still, you're talking about over 1000 people, I'd say, for the period you refer to. Which is why I wonder why you need to know their names.

[Edit: a quick tot gives 996 people from 1995 to 2005. The CAO site doesn't go back earlier than that.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

The question that springs to mind is: why?

I bet he's doing a 'where are they now?' programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Maybe he's not necessarily looking for people who got 600 points but more so the people who got 10 or 11 A1s. That makes more sense to me and they're always in the national paper the next day so he'd be able to look them up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Maybe he's not necessarily looking for people who got 600 points but more so the people who got 10 or 11 A1s. That makes more sense to me and they're always in the national paper the next day so he'd be able to look them up.

Some of them are in the national papers, not all.

OP-I'd say the SEC could give you numbers of people scoring all A1s, but they will not give you personal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HPMan1

hi all,

im actually looking for the info sort off to settle a query between me and a mate. I tend to remember about 1989/90 there was one pair of twins called Murphy who got 580 points and they appeared - from memory - in the papers maybe The Irish Times ? How would i get the info to settle it all for now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement